If I Shoot First And Ask Questions Later

NeedingAdvice

I'm going to leave out the details to keep this short.
I was assaulted April 6th by a coworker on a dirt road where I was completely lost and beaten so severely that many bones in my face were broken and I require surgery, while her husband filmed the assault. I was repeatedly knocked unconscious and they left me laying in my own blood. The doctors thought my eyeball was going to fall back into my head and I'd lose my eyesight because the bone that cradles it shattered and fell apart, my right cheekbone is completely gone, and basically the entire right side of my face beneath my eye is shattered.
Now, other people involved in this situation are still harassing me and telling me that as soon as my child is born (yes, I was pregnant when she assaulted me and cannot have my surgery until after the birth of my child) they will beat me as well. Because I have not had my surgery yet, and probably even after I've had my surgery, if I am hit in the face, I have no doubt that I will die because there is no bone structure to protect my brain and the other tissues and with very little force my face will finish caving in.
I am moving to another location to go to school so I will be able to provide better for my child and I will try to keep these people from finding out where I will be living. I do not want to move to another state or country because my whole life is here and I don't want these immature, violent women to feel like they can make me give my life up and go on the run, but I want to be able to raise my baby, not be beat up in a hospital or dead. I am going to take self defense classes as soon as the baby is born because I never want to feel unsafe again and plan on encouraging my child to be able to defend him/herself.
With that being said, my question is that when I turn 21 this year I plan on getting my gun license and if one of these women attacks me, I will shoot without hesitation but I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison when I could be raising my child. YES I feel like if I'm attacked in the slightest my life will be in danger! If I'm hit in the face, my life is over. If one or more of them jumps me and I shoot first and ask questions later, will it be considered self defense in my situation?

It will IF it is self defense, in other words, do not go hunting or taunting them.... Do NOT be the initiator in any situation.

In addition to Axe... Off the top of my head (so verify with state law), they go by what a "reasonable man" would consider in danger for your life. I believe any reasonable person would think your situation qualifies. Look in to Armed Forces Legal Defense Network... they provide help with legal defense in the case that you need to defend yourself with a gun, but better yet they send training so that you can easily articulate the signs of an impending attack in case you need to in front of a jury. And hey, they've got a list of 2A-friendly lawyers you could contact to ask about your situation and what your options are.

There's more to this story than we're being told

If you were beaten as severely as you state there would be DNS evidence all over your attacker. Why were no arrests made?

File a peace bond on them and assault charges for the last beating. Strictly follow your states laws of self defense. Get an attorney.

Eidolon: She was arrested, we haven't gone to court yet

Axeanda45: If it happens it will definitely be because they hunted me down and attacked, I have asked them all to leave me alone and told them I will call the law if they come near me at any point.

Telpinaro: That's a good idea, I will do anything at this point to feel safe again.

Nightmare45: I tried to get a restraining order on the other women involved but since they didn't physically attack me, just the one woman (which later on I heard that 3 other women got out of the vehicle and beat me after I was unconscious, which would explain the amount of damage done because the doctors said they couldn't believe one small person like her did this much by herself) that I can't get a restraining order even though they've been calling me and contacting me via social media. A restraining order was automatically placed on the woman that assaulted me, and it states that none of her friends or acquaintances can contact me but even though they are her friends, they text/call/message me and say things like "Her? I don't even know her!" I don't feel like the law is going to step in until it's too late

Absolutely any time you fire a weapon, even if no one is struck or injured, you can potentially face criminal prosecution. You didn't say which state you're in, but on that score, the potential to face prosecution, really isn't state-specific. What is state-specific are the laws concerning self defense and the stats about how those laws are enforced (or not as the case may be). If your state has Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground laws, it would generally suggest that you'll be supported after using deadly force more than in states without such laws, but in all cases, it will be the specific details and circumstances that will be used to decide if the use of force was justifiable or not, and if not, prosecution will almost always follow that determination.

You said you're going to seek self defense training, and that's certainly advisable, but if you're anywhere close to turning 21 and are planning on buying your first ever weapon near that date, then may I respectfully suggest that you seek as extensive weapons-handling and defensive handgun training as you can afford. You said in your first post that, "...I plan on getting my gun license..." but didn't say if that is a purchase license or a license to carry. Since we don't know which state you're in, we can't predict, but in either case, you really need more than whatever "training" (if any) your state requires to purchase or carry a weapon before couching your future plans as "shooting first and asking questions later." Good training will inform you when to shoot and when to hold your fire. No one here is going to give you "permission" to shoot first and ask questions later, and if anyone were to try, most of us would cite that attempt as a reason for you to disregard everything else they had to say.

In short, you've got a ton of homework and field-work (training) to do before you're actually putting yourself in a position to effectively defend yourself (and a newborn baby), while at the same time keeping yourself out of jail. You may want to consult folks on this forum Link Removed who would know the laws better than the rest of us for that specific jurisdiction. Otherwise, good luck and God Bless.

Blues

Call me nosey or whatever the hell you want...and you don't have to answer if you don't want...but I have to ask, what the hell did you do to piss these people off so bad? Sounds like you either screwed with the wrong people or you had some pretty sadistic friends.

Call me nosey or whatever the hell you want...and you don't have to answer if you don't want...but I have to ask, what the hell did you do to piss these people off so bad? Sounds like you either screwed with the wrong people or you had some pretty sadistic friends.

Regardless of who they were, there was no excuse for beating a pregnant woman that badly. I would venture to say that, if she does get a weapon, and they try to bother her again, she will definitely shoot someone. With injuries as she described, death could be a likely result of being hit again and I would have a difficult time in condemning her. As the adage goes, "I would rather be tried by twelve than be carried by six!"

Regardless of who they were, there was no excuse for beating a pregnant woman that badly. I would venture to say that, if she does get a weapon, and they try to bother her again, she will definitely shoot someone. With injuries as she described, death could be a likely result of being hit again and I would have a difficult time in condemning her. As the adage goes, "I would rather be tried by twelve than be carried by six!"

Oh I agree. I'm just curious what started this whole thing. From my experience, it's generally from something silly and trivial.

Excellent response here with solid advise! Additionally you need to find out about where the state stands on "disparity of force". By that I mean for example a man vs. a woman, two or more vs one person, a young healthy fit person vs. an old person who may be disabled, and a "skilled fighter" (ie, black belt marshal arts type) vs. an unskilled person. Understand? The one thing that has to be done is you have to do EVERYTHNG possible to avoid a confrontation. Getting restraining orders, moving to another location, reporting the assault to police (including the threats) are examples of what I'm talking about. You can NOT start a fight & end it with shooting someone! If you're in the wrong, you'll stay in the wrong & be charged with a criminal act. Knowing if that state has the Castle Doctrine (Stand Your Ground) is important also. Know your state laws & in taking a concealed weapons class you should be given the legal information, including justification of use of deadly force (a last resort.) You can take a NRA Handgun Safety Course (which will give you basic shooting skills) while your under age to own a gun. Training is the key to survival! The best weapon you have is your brain! Be smart & learn to always be alert to any oncoming dangers so they can be avoided. Hope this helps along with the advise above. Godspeed to you & your child!

Simply put, and as telpinaro said, you must be able to articulate (and it may include past experience) that you felt your life was in danger. "I saw them walking down the road and got scared" is NOT a good example. "They approached me with threatening words and gestures, and based on past experience I knew they were capable of violence that could indeed kill me" IS a good example.

Again, not knowing what state you are from,if I am correct that even if not 21 you may be able to begin firearms training now if over the age of 18.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Federal law prohibits, with certain exceptions*, the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18.11
Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.

I had a six month affair with a married co worker (we'll call him K), he's only the second man I've been with since I was fourteen years old and yes I was stupid to fall for it and have an affair with him. I had just got out of a six year relationship with his wife's cousin. His wife's aunt was our boss. ALL of the people involved are related and we all worked together. The entire family is insane and violent but I fell in love with this man and risked everything for him. The woman who beat me up and her husband found out about the affair, and no they didn't care because they've both had affairs and they had threesomes with other people and both had been flirting with me and also trying to "hook me up" with their friend. The woman who beat me was having an affair with our big boss at the time in fact.
They are all three are shady, drug addicted creeps and although the man I had an affair with cheated on his wife, he is the good all American upstanding citizen that has taken care of his family, works hard, reads the Bible, you get the point and I worshiped the ground he walked on. They tried to convince me to have sex with them and their friend repeatedly until finally they told me Thursday Apr 3 that if I would not have sex with all 3 of them, they would contact his family about the affair. Friday they reminded me repeatedly. Saturday they called me over and over and over and texted as well telling me to come spend the night with them, that it was my last chance or they would tell. I told them that I was in love with K and couldn't do it. They continued to call late that night. They did tell, and they beat me the next day and now not only do I have them to worry about but his wife and female members of her family want to beat me next, and could care less about my child.
I'm aware these are the consequences of me having the affair but I was wholeheartedly in love with this man and you don't blackmail and beat someone because they refuse to have sex with you, nor do you beat a woman up because your marriage is going down the drain and your husband was unfaithful.

If you don't get out of there, with or without a firearm, your life and your child's life will be ruined sooner than later.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

telpinaro..."a reasonable man" will be the verdict by the jury or the judge absent a jury.

If you get protection orders you will need a gun to back them up. Cops will not back them up. All cops do is come take pictures of your carcass after the protection order is violated.

The poster is in serious need of legal advice. I suggest hiring an attorney if you can and meeting with the ADA handling the case. If he refuses to take action contact the governors office and PLEAD for help. Embarrass the local LE community if you have to.

telpinaro..."a reasonable man" will be the verdict by the jury or the judge absent a jury.

If you get protection orders you will need a gun to back them up. Cops will not back them up. All cops do is come take pictures of your carcass after the protection order is violated.

Um... Yes? Her shooting first and asking questions later is likely to at least end up before a judge. As she very reasonably believed she was going to die, it seemed to apply. Perhaps I should have gone more in depth?

Protection/restraining orders are a good idea, too, though. Like you said, she needs to back it up herself, but they will go to prove she was already in fear for her life.

Definitely look in to some sort of insurance or the Armed Citizens group I mentioned earlier... lawyers aren't cheap, and just in case...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back