Idaho CCW Training Question

Although I have never found anything in the Idaho statutes requiring that you apply for your Idaho CCW in person, most, if not all, of the sheriff's departments require you to. Kootenai County, where we live, also requires that you pick up your permit in person once it is approved. Idaho does recognize CCW permits from all other states so, if you are not a resident of Idaho and have a CCW permit from your home state, or any other state, there really isn't any need to apply for an Idaho permit. Just remember that, if you carry in our state you must follow Idaho's laws. I hope this helps.

It wasn't specifically stated, but I got the impression from the state website that it was like Pennsylvania and North Dakota, where you have to apply in person.

Go to sheriffs office apply show proof of firearms training, ( hunters saftey, NRA class, or orher similar class.) Pay the fee and wait . Just got my Idaho resident permit in september.

Hi everybody. This is my first post here. I'm in Madison county, I just applied for my CCW... I called ahead and the Sheriff's office told me that I don't need any training, etc. Well, when they had me fill out the form there was a space for listing any firearms training.... I just left it blank. Does anyone know if this will be
a problem? Also, how long do permits usually take in Madison county?

DON'T FORGET....

Out of state permits will NOT exempt you from the Federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone prohibition.

You must apply in person, as you have to be fingerprinted by the Sheriff's office. You also must have proof of firearms training. It's all shown on USA Carry's Idaho webpage: Idaho Concealed Carry Permit Information

Im in grangeVille Idaho, when I got my CCW permit I did not have to show proof of firearms training. I just went to the sheriff`s dept and filled out the paper work and was finger printed. Thirty days later I got a notice in the mail to go down to DMV and pick up my ccw permit.

Im in grangeVille Idaho, when I got my CCW permit I did not have to show proof of firearms training. I just went to the sheriff`s dept and filled out the paper work and was finger printed. Thirty days later I got a notice in the mail to go down to DMV and pick up my ccw permit.
That's what they told me it would be like out here in Madison County... they told me they would call me. I've been waiting about three and a half weeks. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I moved here from Nevada and walk into Kootenai Co.Sheriffs with a hunters safety certificate and applied for a permit.Thought that was a little easy.I'm going to take a class and find out the legal side of it though.The when can I and when can't I part of it.I also here you have to get a permit in your own state before you try and get one in another.

Idaho requires that you provide proof of firearms safety training to get a CCW. They do not require any live fire qualification as in Nevada. They do accept hunter safety training as proof of firearms safety training.

Some states, like Utah, require that you have your resident state's CCW before you apply for their non-resident CCW. If you're interested, we have our next Utah CCW class on February 18th. In that class I do compare Utah's laws with Idaho's and that may answer your legal-side questions. If you have any questions, please go ahead and give me a call.

Steve Wall
Utah Instructor #I102229
(208) 691-4200

Idaho accepts permits from all other states, and they don't require you have a resident Idaho permit before getting one in another state. I live in Post Falls and have only a Washington permit (so I can carry across the border) and was told at the sheriffs office I didn't need to get my Idaho permit to carry there if I didn't want to. It's a good idea as although Washington, Montana and Idaho take the non-resident Washington permit, Wyoming does not so if you travel there you need the Idaho resident one.

I got a Utah non-resident. I took the half-day class and sent off my stuff. No live fire, no Idaho permit. The hardest part was fingerprinting. I did have to do that at my local sheriff's office, and had to do it twice because my prints are so light.

Idaho requires that you provide proof of firearms safety training to get a CCW. They do not require any live fire qualification as in Nevada. They do accept hunter safety training as proof of firearms safety training.

Some states, like Utah, require that you have your resident state's CCW before you apply for their non-resident CCW. If you're interested, we have our next Utah CCW class on February 18th. In that class I do compare Utah's laws with Idaho's and that may answer your legal-side questions. If you have any questions, please go ahead and give me a call.

Steve Wall
Utah Instructor #I102229
(208) 691-4200
I will give you a call.Thanks Steve.

I know I'm late to this discussion but, I recently applied for my Idaho permit in Kootenai county. It's been a month and counting. There should not be an issue, I have no exclusions and have passed NICS twice recently on gun purchases.

I presented as proof of firearms training, my NRA Range Safety Officer Certificate. I ran an event at my gun club for years. Declined. "NRA training is not valid." huh? Started to argue but....

Prenented my DD214. Accepted.

Punch line? Never in my six years (84-90) in the US Navy did I ever receive small arms training or even touch a working firearm for that matter, in connection to my duties. Not in boot camp, not for duty, never. Most of my firearms training was delivered by NRA instructors after I got out.

Have since attended both an Idaho full day CCW class and a UTAH 1/2 day class as backup and because the iniformation is relevant.

you must show that you have a familiarity with guns. ... Your Nevada permit should be quite sufficient.
Are there any sheriffs who do not accept valid out-of-state CCW licenses as such proof?

I'm a WA resident contemplating a move to ID soon and want to minimize the hassle of getting an ID permit to replace my WA permit.

I presented as proof of firearms training, my NRA Range Safety Officer Certificate. I ran an event at my gun club for years. Declined. "NRA training is not valid." huh? Started to argue but....
Um, what?

Per Link Removed :
(13) When issuing a license pursuant to this section, the sheriff may require the applicant to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm and shall accept any of the following, provided the applicant may select whichever of the following applies:
(b) Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course or any national rifle association hunter education course;

But whether or not to press the point is certainly up to you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back