IBM/Manpower

slag_it!

There is a no firearm policy for these companies. According to their policies you are not suppose to have one even in your vehicle.:angry:

Anyone else have experienced this? How can they say anything about what is in your vehicle? Maybe someone can help me understand.

I do not work for either, I have friends that do work for them and they were telling me about this rule.

I'm not sure but it seems that I have heard about a recent court ruling against such a policy.

That's right the court has ruled they can do that, I don't agree with it but they can do it. Most business's have that policy if you look in they're employee handbook. I live in a city that they can post no guns allowed, the way I look at it they are responsible for my safety if I am a customer there, although I try not to support these business's.

I work for Verizon and they have the same policy. They do not allow guns on their property, not even allowed in our cars in their parking lot. I think it sucks but what can I do? Rules are rules and they pay me very well to follow them (most of them anyways). It's a good thing I live less than 5 minutes from work so the first thing I do when I leave is head straight home to get my gun if I need to go anywhere else after work.

In Kentucky, it doesn't matter, an employer can not punish you for having a firearm in your vehicle that is not visible. If they do, you can sue for damages.

I can confirm this is the IBM policy as it is stated in the employee handbook. Not that this necessarily shaped the policy at all but if you are driving a rental car for work all IBM employees are authorized to drive it. Of course that doesn't apply to your personal vehicle.

I can understand how it is not allowed in a building but, not in your own car? Are they afraid if you get fired you will run in and shoot up the place? If that is the case then the employee could just go home and get it from their house and return. Last I heard of an employee shooting at a workplace the individual had been terminated for awhile. Then there was this incident... The St. Louis Post Dispatch is reporting that a disgruntled former employee opened fire with a shotgun on defenseless workers at Beltservice Corp. in a St. Louis suburb yesterday. As many as 130 workers milled about as the gunman opened fire, the paper reported the gunman fired at least five times before going outside to a van to reload. He walked inside to fire again, notes the paper. After a seven-hour standoff with police, the gunman surrendered without incident Thursday night. What goes unquestioned in the news reports is why the criminal had so much time to leave, reload, and return. Clearly, it is only because no employees were armed (most likely by company policy) that the criminal had time to exit the building, reload, return and fire again. "It could have been a massive tragedy," says the writer, "one that has become too familiar after violent incidents at office buildings and schools across the country." In the end Thursday, only one worker was shot. Jake Lewman, 61, suffered what was called a superficial wound in the upper right hip, authorities said. "It is remarkable," Beltservice Corp. Chairman **** Engelsmann told reporters. That more people were not injured or killed "we're very thankful for that. We're lucky, I guess." Counting on "luck" to protect defenseless employees is a very irresponsible option.

Just what I have noticed.

I can't speak to the rationale for the IBM policy other than to state that the policy says approximately that it's, "for the safety of all employees.". I don't think this policy has changed in many years.

Unless he told someone or it became evident through an employee action I don't think they would ever know if it was in his car.

It wouldn't be the type of thing I would share with fellow employees no matter where I worked unless it was relevant to the job. Would you tell people you store a gun in your car?

Again I'm thankful to live in Oklahoma. Business' and property owners are specifically not allowed to prohibit a gun from being concealed in your car in the parking lot. Exception for school property only. My employer prohibits guns in the building but must by law allow me to have it in my car. Prudence dictates that I don't broadcast that practice.

Romans 8:37

My company has the same policy (I work for a national employer with locations through the US). You cannot have weapons on you or on the property (or in your car). Luckily, with Wisconsin's new laws, you can atleast leave your carry handgun in your car. Still can't have any long guns in your car. I think you will find that most any large company will have this policy. I wonder what the policy is like at Remington or any other large gun maker.

I guess Indiana recently joined the ranks of Kentucky and Oklahoma in forbidding employers (exception carved out for schools and universities) from taking any adverse action against an employee for having a firearm stored in their personal vehicle in the parking lot.

This caused a problem. Employers started building into their interview processes a battery of questions about gun ownership. After all, if they weed out all of the gun owners from their workforce, they still don't have to worry about guns in employee cars. The General Assembly had to come back in the next session and pass a new law to forbid any firearm questions in the interview process. I'm a little on the talkative side, so I'll have to keep my mind on the idea of not volunteering that info in my next interview.

This is true at IBM. Yet I can't think of any fortune 500 company that allows employees to posses a firearm at work. Some states have passed laws disallowing a company from regulating your vehicle but in the end it doesn't matter. If an issue arises most companies will find a way to fire an employee.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back