IA DOT harasses retiree with CCW

carl schneider

Friday night when we were coming home from a 3600 mile trip, I was pulled over for no reason by an Iowa Department of Transportation Officer who accused us of having marijuana on board and ended up searching our RV.

He and his back-up buddy were not happy with the fact I have concealed carry, they said the presence of any gun "raises a red flag," and they were full of all kinds of misinformation, such as that I was required to tell an LEO immediately that I had a loaded firearm.

It was scary how little they knew about concealed carry laws as well as other gun laws, but both guys were sure they were right and there was no point arguing with them. No apologies from them either for being mistaken in their accusations and taking up forty five minutes of our time and invading our privacy.

You can read more about it here: Iowa DOT Enforcement Officer Commits Harassment of Iowa Couple Iowa Defense Alliance Iowa DOT Enforcement Officer Commits Harassment of Iowa Couple

Sorry this happened to you... I assume that you are going after his badge right? I would... I would also have an attorney on retainer so that I could sue their freakin pants off!!!

Did you file a complaint? If it happened to me I'd been on the phone as soon as he left the area. Since you didn't have a commercial license plate and you didn't commit any traffic infractions he had no reason pulling you over. No probable cause. I have the greatest respect for LEO's and I do understand what they have to go through since I have LE experience myself, but are a few bad apples out there and they need to be weeded out so things like this won't happen to someone else.

Any time and I do mean any time the police say "can I search your vehicle" always answer no not with out a search warrant! If he had wanted you badly enough he would have planted evidence and then you would have been in jail, and don't say it could not happen!

In your response to the last comment you mentioned that the LEO might have impounded your rig until he obtained a search warrant? Can they impound vehicles in your state as he said and then ask the judge for a search warrant? That does not sound kosher!

This would be a good story to see in the news media. Call some stations and papers and see if you can get a response. I also agree that calling an attorney might be in order.

Any time and I do mean any time the police say "can I search your vehicle" always answer no not with out a search warrant! If he had wanted you badly enough he would have planted evidence and then you would have been in jail, and don't say it could not happen!

I probably would say this... but has anyone here ever done it? I mean just wondering really what the officer's reaction would be... would they think "guilty" and try to find a way in? or would they quiet down and leave?

ARTICLE ABOUT OUR EXPERINCE IN THE DES MOINES REGISTER Link Removed

and yes, saying no to this guy would probably have inflamed him even further, no telling whatcould have happened, definitely an unbalanced individual

We just talked to a truck driver today who read the article in the paper and stopped off at our house to talk to us because he knew who this officer must be. Turns out he has had a huge number of complaints against him and he still has his job.

Help get this powerhungry dishonest IDOT officer off the road. e-mail his boss at the address below---you can cut and paste the one sentence which is short and sweet. Thanks!

[email protected]

Dear Major Lewis,
The officer who pulled over and harassed the retired folks in the RV should have his badge taken away.

Sincerely,

I probably would say this... but has anyone here ever done it? I mean just wondering really what the officer's reaction would be... would they think "guilty" and try to find a way in? or would they quiet down and leave?

Yes they have and the usual response is they do not want to waste the time for a warrant to be issued, as it will take them away from issuing tickets.... As unbalanced as this guy sounds then he would very likely plant evidence... So say no and lawyer up real fast regardless!

Unless they have just cause (smell dope, or see drug paraphernalia) they have no grounds for an impound.

We just talked to a truck driver today who read the article in the paper and stopped off at our house to talk to us because he knew who this officer must be. Turns out he has had a huge number of complaints against him and he still has his job.

Help get this powerhungry dishonest IDOT officer off the road. e-mail his boss at the address below---you can cut and paste the one sentence which is short and sweet. Thanks!

[email protected]

Dear Major Lewis,
The officer who pulled over and harassed the retired folks in the RV should have his badge taken away.

Sincerely,

Sent him an email.. hope justice is served when all is said and done.

[email protected]

Dear Major Lewis,

Sincerely,

what a JERKOFFicer!
I sent an email as well.

Thanks for taking action
there is going to be an article in the hawkeye tomorrow discussing the pack of lies in Officer Weigand's incident report
also another of his victims is going public he has kept his experience under cover for years but believes now is the time to come forward.

update on IDOT Officer Weigand and aNEW CASE INVOLVING AN IDOT ENFORCER HOLDING A GUN TO A 64 YR OLD FARMER'S HEAD Link Removed

Last edited:
C'mon

How many states did you transport your hidden weapons that don't honor your permits? That is the question. Shall this matter be discussed also?

UPDATE ABOUT OUR EXPERIENCE

On various websites there has been a bunch of misinformation plus further accusations against us and and even veiled threats. (We investigated using URL information and suspect it's possible they could be coming from somebody close to Darrell Wiegand)

This UPDATE tries to set the record straight.

It also reveaals the views of many truckers in Iowa on IDOT.

Our hardworking men and women in that industry do not hold IDOT in high regard. We've been talking to a lot of them lately and hearing a whole lot of "storm trooper" stories and also a few more horror stories like ours. Not all of them involving Wiegand.It seems he is not the only out-of- line IDOT officer out there although maybe the most infamous. The picture we are getting is that IDOT enforcement definitely abuses its power and treats people like dirt. We can't help but believe all the stories we've heard because it happened to us.

http://iowadefense.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/update-idot-law-enforcer-harasses-iowa-couple/

Last edited:
How many states did you transport your hidden weapons that don't honor your permits? That is the question. Shall this matter be discussed also?

Sorry but that is irrelevant in this case. This case alleges an overly aggressive officer (possibly you) that violated a citizens Constitutional Rights. Having been a reserve deputy myself I know full well what you can and can't do... If the allegations are true, then this officer is actually a threat to his department and the citizens he is sworn to protect. At the very least, their should be an internal investigation. The officer in question should also be suspended w/pay until the investigation yields it's findings. If indeed officer Weigand violated these folks Constitutional rights, then his employment with the State of Iowa should be teminated and his certification revoked.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back