I was taken on a fishing trip by Illnois trooper.

Beau

I was never here.
So I had to take a trip over to Indiana last week. On the way home I was stopped in Illinois. Now I hadn't seen a single officer the whole way through until about mile marker 15. Then they were everywhere. I checked my speed as I tend to set the cruise a few miles over the speed limit. I think to myself that I am glad I dissembled my handguns and locked them separately from the ammo. And then it happens.

I had just got into the left lane to get around a slow truck. A car had just passed me so when I got over I was behind them by a couple car lengths. After passing the truck I got back into the right lane. In my mirror I notice a suburban pull in behind me. The second thing I noticed was the spotlight above the drivers side mirror. I knew what was coming next.

He comes up on the passenger side and asks for the usual. I decided to throw him off a little bit by not saying anything. I handed him my papers, put my hands back on the steering wheel and waited in silence. He looks at my papers, looks around the inside of my van and then tells me he pulled me over for following to closely and for "hugging" the line a couple times. He looked at me expectantly. I assume he was waiting for the "but officer, I'm innocent" that he usually gets from people. I replied simply, okay.

He tells me that he is not going to write me a ticket he is just going to run my information. He starts to step away but turns back to me and asks me to join him in his cruiser while he ran my information. Again I am thinking how glad I was that I had disarmed and didn't have a gun on my belt. I get out of the car and he asks me if I have any weapons on me, knives, guns etc.. I pat my pockets and my waist and reply no.

So we get to his car and the questions start. Every question he asked I paused before answering so I could decide if I wanted to answer and how to answer. In talking with him he flat out admitted that he, and the other police that I had seen were on a fishing expedition. They were looking for any traffic infraction, no matter how slight, in order to pull people over and fish for something more.

Anyway, he wrote the warning and sent me on my way. While I don't agree with what they were doing I was surprised how "nice" the officer was. He did not act the way I figured an IL trooper would act.

Couple other curious things.

When he came to the window I am almost certain the bottom of my mag pouches on my belt were visible. Not sure if he saw it or not.

I had a cylinder for a .22 sitting on the center console. He had to have seen this. I wonder if he did see and that is why he asked me to get out of the car. But if he did see it why wait until I was out to ask about weapons.

I wonder if the reason he waited to ask about weapons was because he did see the mag pouch and/or cylinder and was hoping that I would get out of the car with a weapon on me.

He did not do a pat down.

In his vehicle a camera was pointed right at me. I could see my face on the display screen. I wonder if our interaction was recorded. I also wonder what else it does.

The craziest part of all is this. I hate to admit it but this is the first time I have disarmed while driving through IL. I never stop in IL. I stay on the interstate the whole way through. I figure why should I disarm just because the road I'm on passes through a place that doesn't understand the 2A.

For some reason this time I decided to stop and disarm. Doing so probably saved me from a world of hurt. I've never been stopped in IL before. I am sure this was divine intervention. Thank you Jesus!

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, they were fishing. That's pretty sad. Glad it all worked out for you with just a warning. As W.C. Fields said "all and all, I'd rather be in Philadelphia".

always trust your intuition you prolly had a subconscious premonition that caused you to disarm and good thing you did
i don't think jesus had anyting to do with it
and cops doing fishing trip pull overs is illegal but they get away with it as it's their word against yours he could say you were swerving or what have you just to make it look like a legit stop in the eyes of the courts

eagleeyes:319762 said:
always trust your intuition you prolly had a subconscious premonition that caused you to disarm and good thing you did
and cops doing fishing trip pull overs is illegal but they get away with it as it's their word against yours he could say you were swerving or what have you just to make it look like a legit stop in the eyes of the courts

No it was probably Gandhi ;)

nope not even ghandi or buddha or krishna or or or .......lolz ok i'm off to work catch y'all later

Yeah. I'm born and raised in Illinois but live 10 min from Iowa border. I'm 24 and just bought a house on the Illinois side because we found the perfect place for us. Now that I'm out on my own, I'm starting to open my eyes to everything around me and with the whole Illinois laws, government and cops are all not what I thought. I recently joined USA Carry about a month or two ago and with all the knowledge everyone has put on here I'm realizing that my state is really messed up in many ways. (Probably should have looked more on the Iowa side!) Its irritating that my state is the only state that doesn't allow me the right to carry! Hopefully they have a change of heart in the future but I'm not going to hold my breath! Sorry you were stopped! Honestly happens all the time!

I hate to sound rude, but...

"To Hell with Illinois & their Fascist Anti 2nd Amendment Mindset".
I wouldn't take a trip to that Corrupt LibTarded State even if a check for $2 Million Dollars was waiting for me over there.

Friggin Fascists!! :shout:

If I lived there, this would be justification to buy one of the car based video camera systems that record everything I do. So I was swerving officer, well lets let the judge take a look at the video. I,know it wouldn't do any good but I can dream can't I?

@Outlaw - Yeah. I see what you're saying with the whole anti Illinois thing. Trust me, I am starting to see that bad is starting to outweigh the good in this state. Maybe in the future I might pack up and sell the house and relocate to Iowa but for, sadly, its not feasible. Just wish I wouldve paid attention a little more to the politics and all before invested in Illinois! I guess all I can do it write pointless letters to my representatives. Better to try than to do nothing I guess....

On a side note.... I figured since I don't have the right to carry in this state, I'd go buy a big buck knife or something similar. But.... You can't carry anything more than a 3" blade legally. Go figure...

The_Outlaw:319809 said:
I hate to sound rude, but...

"To Hell with Illinois & their Fascist Anti 2nd Amendment Mindset".
I wouldn't take a trip to that Corrupt LibTarded State even if a check for $2 Million Dollars was waiting for me over there.

Friggin Fascists!! :shout:

I honestly wish I would've paid a little more attention to what has been happening around me in this state. I guess down the road I might pack my stuff and move to the Iowa side of the river but for now it isnt feasable. So I guess I will just write letters to my state representatives. I realize it will probably fall on deaf ears but its better than sitting back and doing nothing I suppose...

On another note..... Since I am not allowed the right to carry in this state I decided that Id at least go by a big buck knife or something. But yet again, I'm screwed because the biggest blade I'm allowed to legally carry is one with a 3" blade. Go figure.....

If I lived there, this would be justification to buy one of the car based video camera systems that record everything I do. So I was swerving officer, well lets let the judge take a look at the video. I,know it wouldn't do any good but I can dream can't I?
And always remember...
when life hands you Lemons,
ask for Tequila and Salt and call me over! :lol:

Tucker's Mom:319857 said:
And always remember...
when life hands you Lemons,
ask for Tequila and Salt and call me over! :lol:

I prefer lime and salt with my tequila shots. Never tried lemon before. Lol.

. In talking with him he flat out admitted that he, and the other police that I had seen were on a fishing expedition. They were looking for any traffic infraction, no matter how slight, in order to pull people over and fish for something more.

I want to say I'd be done talking as soon as those words came out of his mouth but the fact is I'd have been done talking as soon as he asked me to step out of the vehicle.

In his vehicle a camera was pointed right at me. I could see my face on the display screen. I wonder if our interaction was recorded. I also wonder what else it does.

If I was was a cop I'd record every citizen interaction I could just for my protection.

. The craziest part of all is this. I hate to admit it but this is the first time I have disarmed while driving through IL. I never stop in IL. I stay on the interstate the whole way through. I figure why should I disarm just because the road I'm on passes through a place that doesn't understand the 2A.

Now you know why.

The craziest part of all is this. I hate to admit it but this is the first time I have disarmed while driving through IL. I never stop in IL. I stay on the interstate the whole way through. I figure why should I disarm just because the road I'm on passes through a place that doesn't understand the 2A.

For some reason this time I decided to stop and disarm. Doing so probably saved me from a world of hurt. I've never been stopped in IL before. I am sure this was divine intervention. Thank you Jesus![/QUOTE]

Good for you!
Glad you shared that....also glad it worked out.

I am going on vacation and I am going a good distance out of my way to avoid driving and spending any money in Illinois. They won't know or care if they did, but I will feel good about the deviation.

what i'm saying is cops on 'fishing trips' may and do make up false testimony as to why they pull someone over they can just say so and so was weaving when he wasn't .......a fishing trip is not a routine traffic stop
hope that clarified the term fishing trip to you who asked.
again i say a cop just can't pull someone over using a bogus excuse to see if they can get lucky with criminal evidence yet undiscovered

what i'm saying is cops on 'fishing trips' may and do make up false testimony as to why they pull someone over they can just say so and so was weaving when he wasn't .......a fishing trip is not a routine traffic stop
hope that clarified the term fishing trip to you who asked.
again i say a cop just can't pull someone over using a bogus excuse to see if they can get lucky with criminal evidence yet undiscovered

Did you learn this at the Evelyn Woodhead School of Internet Law?

All a cop has to do is say you crossed the center line and he can pull you over.

Please cite a specific statute that says otherwise

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back