I was asked to change my screen saver...

Before you start punching the buttons on the phone for the ACLU keep some things in mind:

1. I would assume the computer is company property, right? If so, their computer, their rules.

2. Your rights to freedom of speech are restricted when you are on the clock.

Pick and choose the battles you find worth fighting. If this is one of them I just hope you have another job lined up. Plenty of people here will tell you to stand your ground, or call the ACLU, but how many of them would: 1) stand their ground and risk losing their job or getting a low rating on their next appraisal over a photo.(I bet when push came to shove most would cave in). 2) How many of these guys that you know so well that stand behind you would employ you and help you make your house payment when you're out of work over a photo?

I've always stood my ground so long as my actions weren't illegal or immoral. I was terminated from one company for doing so, but hired the next day by their competition where I ended up making more money and getting a promotion. I refuse to simply "go with the flow" without good reason.

This issue is more than "just a photo". It's about our rights. Does the company policy say "no photos of folks on the shooting range"? I highly doubt it. It's about some a** trying to infringe their beliefs on another. I understand the "company property" issue. If the company has a clear policy that says let's say "No display of illicit substance use", then I would understand that as I can't have a photo of some guy shooting up on my computer screen. Since the policy is silent on what types of photos can be displayed, I feel that as long as it's not "illegal" or "immoral", then it should be an acceptable photo.

Our personal freedoms make the U.S. a very unique and special place to live. I've served many years in the military protecting these freedoms. I have serious issues with anyone who tries to infringe upon the rights that I've worked so hard to protect.

gf

I've always stood my ground so long as my actions weren't illegal or immoral. I was terminated from one company for doing so, but hired the next day by their competition where I ended up making more money and getting a promotion. I refuse to simply "go with the flow" without good reason.

This issue is more than "just a photo". It's about our rights. Does the company policy say "no photos of folks on the shooting range"? I highly doubt it. It's about some a** trying to infringe their beliefs on another. I understand the "company property" issue. If the company has a clear policy that says let's say "No display of illicit substance use", then I would understand that as I can't have a photo of some guy shooting up on my computer screen. Since the policy is silent on what types of photos can be displayed, I feel that as long as it's not "illegal" or "immoral", then it should be an acceptable photo.

Our personal freedoms make the U.S. a very unique and special place to live. I've served many years in the military protecting these freedoms. I have serious issues with anyone who tries to infringe upon the rights that I've worked so hard to protect.

gf

That was my whole point. Yes these are company own laptops but there is no policy that says we can not personalize them with are own wallpaper. I have co-workers with pics of there pets, fish, golf greens, college/pro sport teams, ect. but even though all of us have personal wallpapers, including my manager, I was the only one asked to change it. So it was not the fact that we could not have personal wallpapers it was just because mine involved a rifle. Oh well, seems to have been a non issue. The new director flies back to Colorado tonight and never stopped by to say hi.

I wonder what they would say if I brought in some .223 brass to trim while some of my test are running! lol

I wonder what they would say if I brought in some .223 brass to trim while some of my test are running! lol

There are folks who tinker with beads, you would be tinkering with brass. It's not live ammo, don't see a problem with it. :wink:

gf

That was my whole point. Yes these are company own laptops but there is no policy that says we can not personalize them with are own wallpaper. I have co-workers with pics of there pets, fish, golf greens, college/pro sport teams, ect. but even though all of us have personal wallpapers, including my manager, I was the only one asked to change it. So it was not the fact that we could not have personal wallpapers it was just because mine involved a rifle. Oh well, seems to have been a non issue. The new director flies back to Colorado tonight and never stopped by to say hi.

I've also got (2) 30mm Vulcan Gatlin gun shell casings off of an A-10 above my cube wall. Strangely enough, they get less comments than the target hanging on the wall.

This just makes me go HUH?

That is so stupid as to be beyond my comprehension. Maybe you should let the owner know you now have a very nervous cashier at the desk ducking for cover at the sight of guns and bullets. I don't think this is going to project the right image for his business for one think and it makes me nervous thinking what he might do.

I wonder what in the world he was thinking taking a job at a range if he is so scared of guns? Weird!
It kind of looks like a bowling alley...if you're blind in one eye, and are used to very small bowling balls, and the floor isn't shiny, and there's no pins, and...ok, it obviously isn't a bowling alley.

Maybe he's just stupid? Don't tell him and he won't know. :27:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back