I was asked to change my screen saver...

KimberPB

Ok our company just went through a buy out and our new department director is flying in from Colorado tomorrow. Well, one of our cubical walls is a glass wall. Everyone put some kind of personal poster up to block the view. It just happens that a silhouette target fits rather nicely. I also have the following pic set as my computer wall paper.

DSC01380.jpg

So today my manager came up to me and said it would be a good idea the take the target down and change my wall paper. At least until the new director leaves. Maybe I'm making a big deal about nothing but it kind of pissed me off that its ok for my other co-workers to leave personal pics of fish, their pets, golf greens, sport pics, aviation pics, ect. But I have to change mine just because it's me shooting. I have not decided if I'm taking it down or not. I just feel its wrong to single one person out and ask them to take down personal belongings but allow others to leave there's up.

Ok sorry guys just needed to vent.

Sounds like a violation of your 1A right! Pick your battles, but in any case, the ACLU may be able to help you. The photo of you shooting is a legitimate sporting photo. It would be the same as if you were on the golf course taking a golf swing. As for the target, as long as it doesn't depict any type of violence towards people (like names on the target, bullet holes in with stuff like "you're next", etc, there should be no problem. You seem like a sensible kind of guy who would have a solid, unused target in the area that you described, so I see no problem with your exhibit of your enthusiasm in your hobby. It's too bad that there are these "fearful" folks in society. Maybe you should take up cooking and put up a spread of some high quality chef knives. :wink:

gf

It depends how much you like your job

If you want to see what kind of new director you have you could leave it up. Now on the other hand he may be one of us. You never know.
Now for that picture, how do you get a large picture up there I seem to only be able to upload 98 k max?
Your help would be greatly appreciated...

I am not so sure the ACLU would help. They are pretty good at siding with anyone who is left of center or anti- Christian but having something to do with shooting is most likely to far right for their likeing.

I am not so sure the ACLU would help. They are pretty good at siding with anyone who is left of center or anti- Christian but having something to do with shooting is most likely to far right for their likeing.

They've actually helped a couple of our local gun enthusiasts here in Hawaii. It was all on a "hush hush" basis, but in the end, they were actually helpful.

gf

If you want to see what kind of new director you have you could leave it up. Now on the other hand he may be one of us. You never know.
Now for that picture, how do you get a large picture up there I seem to only be able to upload 98 k max?

PaulIcemanMc start by creating an account on photobucket.com (its free). Then upload the pics from your computer to photobucket.com. After it is uploaded the pic will have a Image link under it. Just copy and past it into your post. That should let you post larger pics.

Ok the target did have bullet holes from one of our lunch time range visits. So since it is a human shaped target I did take that one down. But I replaced it with a bullseye target. There should not be anything offensive about that. As far as the my wallpaper, I see nothing wrong with it so it stays.

That would be great if the new director ended up being one of us!

I got your back

You do as you see fit you have a good head on your shoulders. I would tell them if mine goes everyones goes. Make everone put up the same one like a conpany logo. It is not right to pick you out.

You know some people do get very weird around guns. It's your choice to argue but, I don't think anyone was being offensive. Maybe the boss was just giving you a heads up to look out for you.

You, me and everyone else on this site views a 9 Iron as a deadly weapon AND a piece of sporting equipment just like your AR-15. Doesn't mean everyone else agrees and the market is not in an ideal shape to go looking for a new job.

It's jacked up. I know. I agree. What's more important RIGHT NOW, your belief in our rights, or your mortage payment?

Just my $.02

You know some people do get very weird around guns. It's your choice to argue but, I don't think anyone was being offensive. Maybe the boss was just giving you a heads up to look out for you.

You, me and everyone else on this site views a 9 Iron as a deadly weapon AND a piece of sporting equipment just like your AR-15. Doesn't mean everyone else agrees and the market is not in an ideal shape to go looking for a new job.

It's jacked up. I know. I agree. What's more important RIGHT NOW, your belief in our rights, or your mortage payment?

Just my $.02

Speaking about folks being "weird" around guns. A new cashier was hired at the range I work at. The cashier that was training him asked about regular citizens being able to shoot hollow point ammunition. She told me that she heard that only military and law enforcement were able to have hollow points. I pulled out my back up magazine from my duty belt to show her my hollow point ammunition. At this point, the new guy ducked behind the counter. I asked the guy what was wrong, and he told me that he's afraid of guns. After realizing that I had only a magazine in my hand, and my gun was still holstered, he got back up from behind the counter.

Don't know why a guy who's afraid of guns would want to work at a gun range. :eek:

gf

Speaking about folks being "weird" around guns. A new cashier was hired at the range I work at. The cashier that was training him asked about regular citizens being able to shoot hollow point ammunition. She told me that she heard that only military and law enforcement were able to have hollow points. I pulled out my back up magazine from my duty belt to show her my hollow point ammunition. At this point, the new guy ducked behind the counter. I asked the guy what was wrong, and he told me that he's afraid of guns. After realizing that I had only a magazine in my hand, and my gun was still holstered, he got back up from behind the counter.

Don't know why a guy who's afraid of guns would want to work at a gun range. :eek:

gf

yeah that's just weird... you would think that the fact that he is afraid of guns would have come out before he was hired... I wonder what he is afraid of? maybe he's on the fence? at least he got a job near guns.. sounds like a good way to resolve some issues he has and educate him a bit and get him over to the right side. the more people on our side the better!

You do as you see fit. I, personally, would probably do as your boss suggested. I notice he said until the new boss leaves. You may never see the new boss again. I would put the stuff back up the minute he walks out. That might be the end of it. I would not want to start a big ordeal over someone I might never see again. Now, if you found out he was going to be there on a regular basis, that's a different story. I just wouldn't want to get myself into a big fight that I wouldn't back down from. Good Luck

In the immortal words of my father-in-law....."Eff 'em & feed 'em fish heads"

Here's the "decoration" on my cube wall....the one everyone walking by can see clear as day.

I've used Photobucket for mine in the past. It's a little bit of a pain, but it's doable.

In the immortal words of my father-in-law....."Eff 'em & feed 'em fish heads"

Here's the "decoration" on my cube wall....the one everyone walking by can see clear as day.

lol Nice! Well, I took down the target just to make my cube look more "professional" for the new director but I am not going to change my wall paper. I'm going to the range with one of my old directors for lunch Friday. So there will be a new one up after lunch. Maybe I shoot it smiley face to make it less scary!

lol Nice! Well, I took down the target just to make my cube look more "professional" for the new director but I am not going to change my wall paper. I'm going to the range with one of my old directors for lunch Friday. So there will be a new one up after lunch. Maybe I shoot it smiley face to make it less scary!

Smiley faces are always good. That certainly could pose no threat. :) :)

Put a picture of the Towers coming down on the wall. Never forget who did it and see what he or she says.

Before you start punching the buttons on the phone for the ACLU keep some things in mind:

1. I would assume the computer is company property, right? If so, their computer, their rules.

2. Your rights to freedom of speech are restricted when you are on the clock.

Pick and choose the battles you find worth fighting. If this is one of them I just hope you have another job lined up. Plenty of people here will tell you to stand your ground, or call the ACLU, but how many of them would: 1) stand their ground and risk losing their job or getting a low rating on their next appraisal over a photo.(I bet when push came to shove most would cave in). 2) How many of these guys that you know so well that stand behind you would employ you and help you make your house payment when you're out of work over a photo?

gf

This just makes me go HUH?

That is so stupid as to be beyond my comprehension. Maybe you should let the owner know you now have a very nervous cashier at the desk ducking for cover at the sight of guns and bullets. I don't think this is going to project the right image for his business for one think and it makes me nervous thinking what he might do.

I wonder what in the world he was thinking taking a job at a range if he is so scared of guns? Weird!

My background is a collage of my weapons while an ex-marine sniper friend of mine has a pic of him in a prone position with a 50 pulled up against his shoulder as a screen saver. both have gotten a few raised eybrows, but no one has told him or I to remove the images...

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back