I need some help

fishtripn

I need some help. I am trying to decide on which handgun to buy. The caliber is 9mm, and it’s down to, I guess, 3 weapons. The s&w mp9, the sig p250 and the ruger sr9. Family members carry the glock 26 at work, so I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot it, and I didn’t enjoyed it, so I knocked off the glocks (sorry to the glock fans). Also I was adamantly told that the s&w automatics were really really bad (trigger pull, jamming etc..) now I am just wondering around in a quagmire of indecision going from shop to shop.
One more thing, this will be the home defense handgun for the wife (little, 5"2") as well as an occasional carry weapon for me. thanks for looking.

Given your limited selection, I'd opt for the Sig. The other 2 pistols have had their share of problems. You may want to consider other manufacturers and posslibly look at other Sig models. I'm not particularly fond of the P250.

Whatever you choose, be sure that it's what YOU want and not what the guys at the gun shop "recommend". There are some gun shops out there that will "recommend" a gun for you based on what they have in stock rather than what's best for you and what you are looking for.

gf

For what it is worth, my wife's home defense gun is 'The Judge' loaded and ready with teh first shot .410 and the remaining 4 .45 Long Colt. That works for her at least in theory. We are thankful that she has never had to use it.

Another vote for the Sig. I'm a big fan of Glock, but I must admit, I don't like the G26 at all. It's just too small in the grip to be comfortable. The G19 is pretty sweet though.

thanks gang, I guess my limited selection is due to the shops and what they have available. It has been crazy since november. I ll have to see if any friends have the G19, and give it a try. I wanted to get a large capacity smaller round handgun, and those were the options I had at top of the spending limit (is it me or has the prices gone through the roof?). If there are other recommendations of manufactures, I am open to suggestions. (one thing, the state of maryland has a spent casing rule, and I get repeatedly from the shops that this has inhibited many manufactures from selling here, or that gun is not avialable, etc.)

mp 45 smith & Wesson

I just purchased a mp 45 smith & Wesson and took it for a test drive at the range I love it so if the 9mm is any thing like it is sweet. Also easy to field strip and clean.:yes4:

thanks gang, I guess my limited selection is due to the shops and what they have available. It has been crazy since november. I ll have to see if any friends have the G19, and give it a try. I wanted to get a large capacity smaller round handgun, and those were the options I had at top of the spending limit (is it me or has the prices gone through the roof?). If there are other recommendations of manufactures, I am open to suggestions. (one thing, the state of maryland has a spent casing rule, and I get repeatedly from the shops that this has inhibited many manufactures from selling here, or that gun is not avialable, etc.)

Sounds like you need to check out some of the online sellers. I've bought several new guns over the past 5 years or so. Every gun came with the little envelope containing a spent casing with info about the firearm on the envelope. Off the top of my head, the guns I bought wre made by Ruger, Glock, Taurus, Beretta, Springfield Armory and FN. There are a lot of choices out there. Just because the local gun shop doesn't have it, doesn't mean that you can't own one in PRMD. More times than not, I find the gun shop sales folks peddling a bunch of BS about certain models of firearms so that they can sell what they have "on hand". They talk about how a certain model of gun is "rare". I check it out online and find it for sale and call them on their BS.

Don't be afraid to shop around. There are several places to buy guns from online. If the local gun shop won't play ball, then maybe it's time to shop someplace else.

JMHO

gf

Another vote for Sig...

I have owned Glock (Mod. 30 & 37), Colt 1911, Ruger, S&W, Springfield (the XD), Taurus, Walther, and some others. Beretta makes a nice 9mm as does Sig. I like the Sig "feel" just not the price. But it is a quality handgun. IF IT WERE ME, based on what you state are your choices, I would opt for the Sig. Let us know what you choose and how you like it...

I need some help. I am trying to decide on which handgun to buy. The caliber is 9mm, and it’s down to, I guess, 3 weapons. The s&w mp9, the sig p250 and the ruger sr9. Family members carry the glock 26 at work, so I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot it, and I didn’t enjoyed it, so I knocked off the glocks (sorry to the glock fans). Also I was adamantly told that the s&w automatics were really really bad (trigger pull, jamming etc..) now I am just wondering around in a quagmire of indecision going from shop to shop.
One more thing, this will be the home defense handgun for the wife (little, 5"2") as well as an occasional carry weapon for me. thanks for looking.

I too, found the Glock unsatisfactory for conceal carry purposes. I mean totally concealed. I went for the Bersa Thunder 380 with a special in the waist belt, right rear draw holster from Leather, Guns & Etc. The Bersa carried me through 74 hours of self defense use and home protection training. Never once did I experience a jam or stove pipe while on the line. I fired from 150 to 200 rounds in 4 different classes. The Bersa 380 held it's own on the line with some the high dollar weapons on the market today. I witnessed several jams and stove pipes from the some of the high dollar big boys. The Bersa is my primary conceal carry. With the right ammunination, Golden Saber 102 Gr. JHP, the 380 will do the job in any given situation.

Grayryder

another option

I don't know if you've looked at the Springfield XD, but I bought one for my wife (5'2") after a few weeks of having her look at different guns and gun shops. It fits her smallish hands very well, and mine (6'00", and ****lbs. [classified]). It is a great shooter and within your price range. It also comes with a holster, a double mag pouch, a magazine loader, and two clips. This is a great bang for the buck (no pun intended) pistol.

I have been carrying a Sig for the last 15 years as a Law Enforcement Officer and have NEVER had a problem! I would go with the Sig....

Good Luck!

Springfield XD

Gotta throw my vote out for that one as well. I carry the XD sub in a .40 I also have to say that I would never recommend a 9mm for anything but plinking.

There was a LEO where I live (Bozeman, Montana) that had to use deadly force on a DUI he pulled over. When the driver stopped LEO started for his driver side window and the redneck got out with a .357 revolver. The guy shot the officer in the leg. The officer returned fire. After the officer emptied his gun once and knocked the guy down, the man FIRED AGAIN from the pavement. The officer reloaded his gun and emptied again, hitting the man a total of 12 times, out of 18 shots. The police officer was using a 9mm.

Just my personal reason for not carrying a 9mm. Though if I were to, it would only be with REALLY expansive hollow points.

If you're dead set on 9mm and not shopping on-line I would definitely get the Sig. Probably the only one of the 3 you have as options I'd trust with my life.

Ruger SR9

I got the Ruger SR9 & I love it. It is easy to shoot , clean, and to carry. Holds 17 plus 1. It's been dead accurate right out of the box. I had a S&W 9mm and it kept shooting 8-12 feet high at 20 feet. It went back to the factory and they put new sights on it but did not help, got rid of that one. Good luck. Also think about Ruger LCP 380 for your wife.
But I also carry a Springfield XD 40 subcompact thats my baby.

Gotta throw my vote out for that one as well. I carry the XD sub in a .40 I also have to say that I would never recommend a 9mm for anything but plinking.

There was a LEO where I live (Bozeman, Montana) that had to use deadly force on a DUI he pulled over. When the driver stopped LEO started for his driver side window and the redneck got out with a .357 revolver. The guy shot the officer in the leg. The officer returned fire. After the officer emptied his gun once and knocked the guy down, the man FIRED AGAIN from the pavement. The officer reloaded his gun and emptied again, hitting the man a total of 12 times, out of 18 shots. The police officer was using a 9mm.

Just my personal reason for not carrying a 9mm. Though if I were to, it would only be with REALLY expansive hollow points.

If you're dead set on 9mm and not shopping on-line I would definitely get the Sig. Probably the only one of the 3 you have as options I'd trust with my life.

There was a recent encounter where an officer shot a BG 17 times with a 40 before the fight was over. Then there are times when one round from a 22 does the trick. There is no perfect round and no such thing as an absolute one shot man stopper unless perhaps a 50 cal. I carry a high capacity 9mm, extra magazines and a back up gun. I feel more than size of the round having plenty of ammo is the main thing.]

Well back from the gun store (again). Played with the sig p226&250 (over $700 & 650) , xd ($543) & xdm($743), s&w mp9 ($599), fnj($543), glock19($599), ruger p-89($410) & p-95
I have to say, I have given the glock a new chance (g19). I didnt know that it was like a lego set and you could change parts, and calibers so easily(everything accept the grips?!?!). Although the ruger, i thought, has a good trigger, the grip is to thick for the little woman.
now I guess its between p250, spring. xd, s&w mp9 and the glock19. great all I did was knock one out and add two....
and rio, i agree the 9mm would not be ideal to knock down a crack head, but its the largest cal. i think my wife can accurately shoot repeatedly...

I carry the Springfield XD-45, which I agree might be too large for smallish hands, but I ud\nderstand the XDM-9 is quite a good gun.

I have a question for clarification. what is this 'expended casing rule?' I have never heard that term and have no idea what it could be referring to. Good luck on your search.

wuzfuz,
well, in maryland all handguns sold have to have a spent casing in file. some law to help track of legally purchased handguns in crimes.... because there are so many of them... I am not too familiar with it all, since the handguns i do own were all purchased prior to this requirement, (and the wife, thus all with calibers to large for the wife, we have tried). but i am sure someone out there would know more about it then me.

Just got back from a local gun shop. Checked out the following manufacturers and they all had the little envelope with the expended casing in it:

Glock
Sig Sauer
Springfield Armory
FN
Ruger
Taurus
Smith & Wesson
HK
Kimber

With that said, basically all of the "major manufacturers" have what's necessary for you to legally own the firearm in PRMD. As I stated earlier, check out the various online auction sites and find what's best for you.

gf

i will, thanks. question, what is prmd?
and here is another tid bit about md that i didnt know. there is an approved list. not on the list, cant be sold in md. but i am sure that, like you said, the major manufactures have representatives on the list. the more i learn the more i want to move to alaska... didnt know they were chipping away at my rights..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back