I need some advice on a SW40VE

I am in the market for a forty cal gun and I am willing to trade my Sig Pro 9mm with three mags, hard case and lock. The local gun store had a NIB SW40VE that came with two mags a lock and cardboard box "case". The problem is.. I know next to nothing about the S&W and would like some input on trading weapons, good... bad...?
Forgot to mention... The Sig only has 225/250 rounds through it. No FTF, FTE or anything. It has been flawless. I am doing this only because I cant afford a new pistol at this time but I'm itching for a new toy.

Last edited:
It's a pretty dependable low end auto pistol with good ergonomics and a very heavy Trigger pull. The new SD40 shares the SW40VE's ergonomics but has a much improved trigger.

SW40VE

Link Removed

SD40

smith_sd40_11-tfb.jpg

I thought the sw40ve was the newer model?
The one I looked at was just like the stainless model you posted but the GS said it was the new model.. I'm confused now... 👀

I love mine. Can't beat it for the price, but the trigger does suck when they are new. There is a trigger job that makes it better, and it got even better after a few hundred rounds.

I love mine. Can't beat it for the price, but the trigger does suck when they are new. There is a trigger job that makes it better, and it got even better after a few hundred rounds.

You can easily remove up to 5-6# of trigger pull by removing the small piggy back spring and replacing the trigger spring with a lower poundage after market one. That is what I intend to do with mine that I just purchased because it is the one problem I have with it. Other than that for the money it's amazing.

The Sw40Ve is a good pistol I own the older style.Trigger was terrible till I removed the double spring.Makes a world of difference in trigger.I dont know about trading a Sig for a sigma though? But If you want a reliable #40 cal,can't beat this,pistol.

. Funny you should ask about it. I have one and put upwards of 1000 rounds through it. A very reliable low end gun that shoots very well. I am tranding/selling mine to go down to a 9mm and thinking of the lc9. Would love to keep the 40 but pricey to shoot. I have had no prblem from 7-10 yrds away with hitting pretty much center of target. I use an iwb holster and it concelles pretty well.

The Sw40Ve is a good pistol I own the older style.Trigger was terrible till I removed the double spring.Makes a world of difference in trigger.I dont know about trading a Sig for a sigma though? But If you want a reliable #40 cal,can't beat this,pistol.

I thought the Sigma was retired and the SW.40VE was the replacement? On the S&W web page, they list the new gun as the .40VE. They also list it for $379.
Oh, by the way, the S&W .40 I was going to trade for (the SW.40VE) fell apart while I was dry firing it in the store!!
The take down levers were stuck, one up, one down and the slide just dropped off onto his glass display case!!!!
Doesn't really inspire confidence in the gun!!!

He will send it back and get another one but I don't know about it now.
I REALLY wanted the SR40 but he wants me to come up with another hundred bucks! Really?! Like a Sig Pro with hard case, lock and three mags and extra grip size wouldn't be an even trade?
He has the SR40 listed for $399. I Got the Sig NIB with one mag and one extra grip size for $399! Then I spent $40 bucks a piece for two extra mags.
I mean, come on, its a Ruger, not another Sig! Don't get me wrong, I own a P95 and I love it but a Sig Pro is not an even trade over a Ruger?!

I have had the Sigma SW40ve for a couple of years and still dislike the excessive trigger pull. It can hit paper at 50 ft all day, but it's no tack driver. I have at least 600 rounds through this gun and haven't had any mechanical issues with it that weren't my fault, as in squib loads and poor sizing. Have you considered the M&P? I have my eye on the Shield for CC purposes.

I have had the Sigma SW40ve for a couple of years and still dislike the excessive trigger pull. It can hit paper at 50 ft all day, but it's no tack driver. I have at least 600 rounds through this gun and haven't had any mechanical issues with it that weren't my fault, as in squib loads and poor sizing. Have you considered the M&P? I have my eye on the Shield for CC purposes.

Oh yeah! I have thought about the M&P but this is a straight trade, gun for gun and the M&P costs in the five hundred range (and UP!). My Sig Pro has a couple of hundred rounds through it and this biyatch IS a tack driver!

One thing I observed was that the trigger on the SW&40VE felt no different than the Glocks I've had. I did not find it to be excessive at all! It's a shame the damn thing fell apart or I probably would have done the trade!

I know this thread is dead but I just wanted to let you guys know I got the Ruger SR40 instead.
Of the two, I think it was the better choice!
Thank you to everyone who helped me with this decision.

Thanks man! The gun fits my hand as though it was made for me. The high grip and low bore axis plus heavy slide really tame recoil from the .40!

I posted the WRONG info! Sorry guys, I meant the SD40ve. My bad!

The SD retains the excellent ergonomics of the Sigma but has a completely redesigned trigger group with a considerable improvement over the Sigma. I'd have gone with the SD over the SR.

I liked the features on the SR and overall ergonomics over the SD. If the S&W SD40VE did not fail catastrophically, I would have left with it.
I'm glad the slide fell off during dry firing in the store and not when I got it home.
I think I made the right choice to get the SR. The feature set and fit are spot on.
Plus, it's a Ruger! I love my P95 as it has yet to fail and I expect the SR40 to prove to be as reliable as my P95 is now.
The features on this weapon are just what I wanted to get.
Let me list them here;
1) chamber loaded indicator
2) Glock style trigger safety
3) manual frame mounted safety lever
4) magazine disconnect safety
5) fully adjustable sights
6) customizable back strap

Oh, and who can forget... 15 +1 of potent .40 S&W rounds!

Just sayin..... Ya know?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back