I need new sights

Stephenva

My eye are not as good as they use to be and I find it hard to see small or dim sights. Do you gave any suggestions? Pictures

I will be putting them on a cz 75 B and possibly a beretta 92 fs

Thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean. The day I turned 50, someone at the local newspaper conspired and made the type real fuzzy! :)
I too have a real hard time with the sights on my Glock. I wear reading glasses but don't need any glasses at all for anything more than about 4ft away. When I go to the range I have to choose either fuzzy sights/clear target or fuzzy target/clear sights. However, the Reflex sight on my rifle is perfect. The red dot is crystal clear as well as the target. It seems the Reflex sight actually (to my eyes) appears to be farther than 4ft away even though it's only about 6 inches. Though expensive, you might want to try a pistol reflex sight. Mounting can be an issue. If you have a lower rail, you might be able to get a wrap around sight mount so the sight is not slammed back and forth with each cycle. At least go to a local gun shop and see if you can hold a reflex sight at about the distance you would have it from your eyes while shooting. Look through it and see if it would solve your problem. Might convince you the money spent would both solve the problem and be worth it. GOOD LUCK!

Dave S.

I have put the Truglo Brite-Site sights on the majority of my handguns. I have really bad eyes, and they have changed the quality of my shooting dramatically....especially in indoor ranges which are darker by nature. These sight glow all the time...just not at night. I highly recommend them.

... I wear reading glasses but don't need any glasses at all for anything more than about 4ft away. When I go to the range I have to choose either fuzzy sights/clear target or fuzzy target/clear sights. ... Dave S.

I just began shooting a year ago. (For context, I'm totally dependent on eyeglasses for distance -- visual acuity is <20/800 without correction; 20/400 with correction is "legally blind" -- and for reading.) My mentor and instructors at NRA-affiliated Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club are almost all former law enforcement and/or military.

One rule they stress to all shooters: focus on the front sight, *not* the target. To that end, experienced shooters have prescription "shooting glasses" the focus range of which is compatible with the front sights of their handguns and rifles. Some have their reading prescription placed in the top half of the lens instead of the bottom half. One instructor noted that, of course, he can't use those glasses for distance vision, such as driving.

Well, my "distance" vision is so poor that I would have trouble finding the target at all if I wore only single-vision reading glasses. I'm dependent on my glasses to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night! My optician, who works with my ophthalmologist, suggested an adjustment of my progressive lenses (top for distance, gradually moving to the reading prescription toward the bottom of the frame).

She merely adjusted the fit, especially at the nose pads. Now, when I look straight out through the lens, my reading prescription is in line with my eye, the front sight, and the target. I focus on the front sight when I shoot. My accuracy improved dramatically.

Pat

Last edited:
My eye are not as good as they use to be and I find it hard to see small or dim sights. Do you gave any suggestions? Pictures

Thanks

A number of years ago I had TruGlo TFO's on my H&K USP and loved being able to see them so well. I was able to pick up the front sight very fast but the front sight fiber optic "pipe" flew out of the sight at the start of the Wyoming IDPA match. I searched the net and found that mine was not an isolated incident. Do a bit of research and contact TruGlo to see if they resolved this problem. If satisfied go for it.

I now use the XS 24/7 Express Big Dot, I can pick them up very fast.

I took a photo of an Iris engraved on my wife's Glock G19 slide plate with the camera focused on the rear sight and the Big Dot front sight still pops out:
Link Removed

I ended up getting new glasses.

I brought my gun to the ophthalmologist and said, I need transition lenses so I can see here (held out my gun and pointed to the front sight).

Best thing I ever did.

If you are dead set on new sights, I really like the Truglo TFO's. They are both tritium and fiber optic. They are very easy to see bright light, low light and no light situations.

TruGlo really the best, when you focus on the target (especially a human one!) which you tend to do when violence rears it's ugly head!
The TruGlo sights are seen in your peripheral vision, perfectly. Great in daylight, incredible in poor light.

I ended up getting new glasses.

I brought my gun to the ophthalmologist and said, I need transition lenses so I can see here (held out my gun and pointed to the front sight).

Best thing I ever did.

If you are dead set on new sights, I really like the Truglo TFO's. They are both tritium and fiber optic. They are very easy to see bright light, low light and no light situations.

Can you believe this guy? Lies fill his posts.

Imagine him pulling out his gun at the eye doctor's office. Ridiculous. But pretty funny nonetheless. Gotta give him credit for creativity.

I got a shock today when I visited my ophthalmologist. Two years ago my eyes tested 20/40; today they are 20/20. My eye doctor doesn't understand it, and neither do I, but I'll take it; so while my body is physically shot, at least I've got good eyes. Thank you, Jesus!

Imagine him pulling out his gun at the eye doctor's office. Ridiculous. But pretty funny nonetheless. Gotta give him credit for creativity.

What's so ridiculous about it? I doubt that my ophthalmologist would care, but this is Kansas. We've talked guns and hunting before.

I've heard of several people doing something similar. The ones who didn't actually bring their gun had eye doctors who were also shooters. Heck, I was in a class with several older people who were having trouble and the instructor recommended doing that.

JusttheFacts

Since I have you on ignore and you know this fact, I find it odd that you seem to still be stalking me and making comments about me, but hey to each their own. I know you've been doing this, because apparently other people are finding your behavior odd and are either letting me know that I have a leg-humper on this site OR with their replies to you they are quoting you and I get to see your childish and petty retorts to my posts. But as you have said several times... at least you have a life outside of USA Carry. Pfft.

Not that I need to justify the procedure that I went through for my vision, but I actually called the ophthalmologist first to explain my problem with my vision, and they were the ones that encouraged me to bring my gun in so they could know the distance they needed to test my vision. The ophthalmologist's father was a retired cop and she understood my situation since her father needed something similar in the latter days of his career. Folks, if your front sight is not clear, you will not shoot as accurately. This was my situation. It is now rectified with my eyeglass prescription.

But continue to call people out without facts (JusttheFacts... rather ironic name don't ya think).

JusttheFacts

Since I have you on ignore and you know this fact, I find it odd that you seem to still be stalking me and making comments about me, but hey to each their own. I know you've been doing this, because apparently other people are finding your behavior odd and are either letting me know that I have a leg-humper on this site OR with their replies to you they are quoting you and I get to see your childish and petty retorts to my posts. But as you have said several times... at least you have a life outside of USA Carry. Pfft.

Not that I need to justify the procedure that I went through for my vision, but I actually called the ophthalmologist first to explain my problem with my vision, and they were the ones that encouraged me to bring my gun in so they could know the distance they needed to test my vision. The ophthalmologist's father was a retired cop and she understood my situation since her father needed something similar in the latter days of his career. Folks, if your front sight is not clear, you will not shoot as accurately. This was my situation. It is now rectified with my eyeglass prescription.

But continue to call people out without facts (JusttheFacts... rather ironic name don't ya think).

I wish I could really call your bluff but you can write anything you want to and nobody is the wiser. We all can.

Whatever. Didn't happen, but you can pretend all you want. I figure you called the eye doctor and explained your problem. Then you arrived at the office and, without removing your firearm, showed them the distance that was giving you a problem. Isn't that the gun you carry all the time? You want us to believe that you removed a loaded firearm from its holster in the doctor's office? That'd be pretty stupid if you could get the idea across with an extended arm.

Either you're highly unsafe or just a regular guy exaggerating on a forum. I hope you're just the regular guy.

I'm glad you can see your front site, though. It's important.

apparently other people are finding your behavior odd and I get to see your childish and petty retorts to my posts.

But as you have said several times... at least you have a life outside of USA Carry.

My odd behavior consisted of forcefully pointing out the inane analogies that pass as intelligent discussion in the "One in the Pipe" thread. The funny thing was that none of the "senior members" of this forum actually dealt with any of the substance of my logic. They posted cartoons and insulted me in return. Interesting. I was recently inspired and will now post another analogy there. But then it's back to real life.

(Three dot sites. Fiber optics are nice and tritium is great, but most likely none of that special stuff will ever be necessary.)

For someone who has named himself "JustTheFacts" you certainly don't seem to care about any of them.

Yes, it was my duty weapon that I brought to the eye doctors. Believe it or not, there are some people, even people in this forum who have more than one firearm that they could be carrying. No I did not point a loaded weapon in the doctor's office. That would be foolish and I did not think I needed to point that small detail out. Yet, you think I was completely unsafe. Let me take you down the journey of that day.

You have assumed I whipped out my loaded weapon out of my holster and started flashing it around. Umm, no, the gun was in a case, I showed them it was empty and then held it up so they could measure the distance from the front sight to my eye. Then it was put back in its case and they started their tests using that distance as a guide. Another gun was strapped to my hip that was loaded, that didn't come out of the holster.

Regardless, recently you have been hounding nearly every post I have for some unknown reason.

There are other posts here where I have spoke of this incidence when I went to the eye doctors. It isn't something I "made up". Quite frankly, it would be a very odd thing to "make up". You claim it is all "lies", yet have no information to the contrary, yet you have made it a habit of hounding my posts lately and acting as a leg humper to me as another poster commented about you and your antics concerning me.

As I have mentioned before, I provided my experience so it could help someone else out. You however, wish to undermine whatever I say no matter what the information is. That's cool, you are free to act like a leg humper all you want.

I just hope someone who has a similar vision problem, will take the necessary steps, like I did, and get it fixed. Unfortunately, you may have kept them from doing so. Good job.

Wolffire and Justthefacts.....you have hijacked a forum and turned it into a personal diatribe that we are all being subjected to. )-:

If you need new glasses, get them. If you need new sights, internet research outside this forum is far better for obvious reasons.

Sight distance can easily be demonstrated with an extended arm with empty hand and the ophthalmologist's office isn't the place for showing off your gun

But this is definitely the place for some people to tell tall tales.

Wolffire and Justthefacts.....you have hijacked a forum and turned it into a personal diatribe that we are all being subjected to. )-:

Idahomom,

You are right. I'm sorry for how far things have gone. However, I have someone in these forums who recently wants to call me a liar no matter the topic. The advice I gave is good advice that I received whenever three range officers were trying to figure out why my shooting was off. One of them, after extensively working with me, finally realized that I might need bifocals (or in my case I chose transition lenses). I have since let several people I know about what happened, and this advice has helped them as well. Therefore, I felt it needed defending. Since the OP wrote this:

Thanks
... I offered my experiences. I'm sorry for all those reading you had to see the defense of those experiences.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back