I need advice on a small 9mm pocket auto...

I carry a Kahr PM9 or PM45 most of the time. I know, I know, you'll read about problems with Kahrs. Virtually all of those problems are because the owners don't follow Kahr's directions and break them in properly. Kahr is very specific in their owner's manuals about making sure the firearms are broken in. I've got four of them (CW 9 & 45, PM 9 & 45). All had a three or four of FTEs in the first 50 or so rounds. After the 200 round break in period, they've all performed flawlessly and will eat any SD ammo I've run through them.

people love all sorts of things (and people) that aint suitable for them. Anybody who doesn't realize that FACT is just in denial, and can't be helped.

Ruger SR9c. You can go from a 10 round mag to a 17 round mag depending on need. Both come with the gun.

Ruger has great customer service when needed and the SR9c is very accurate.

I second the Kahr PM9. It is a great pocket gun. The new CM9 is a less expensive version. I have carried mine almost every day for the past 18 months.

wouldn't it be easier for your co to fire you instead of sending you to Oakland to get killed :sarcastic:

Now the really bad news. You won't be able to carry any of the suggested weapons in California unless you get a job as a cop there. Well, not really that impossible, but close, Very close.

I'll agree with the Kahr lovers in the forum. My first handgun purchase was a used Kahr P9, which to this day over a year and a half later is still my favorite. It's slim enough for pocket carry, but large enough to be accurate. (While shooting it for kicks and giggles at an IHMSA match I hit a chicken silhouette at 50 yards with it, much to the amazement of the people watching. Couldn't do it twice that day, but one impressed me enough.) My dad has the CW9 which is the more economic version, and is a little more suited to pocket carry with a shorter grip and fully flush fit magazine (my P9 mag adds some length at the bottom.) But I picked up my p9 used for under 400 bucks and as long as I wasn't shooting snub-nosed Winchester White Box I have not had the first issue with misfeeds, FTF, FTE or any such problems. Gun goes bang every time without fail. I also have the Kahr p380, or 9x17 as we're trying to now call it, which is such an easy pocket carry gun it's ridiculous. It's a little more finicky with ammo, but with half-way decent ammo (like PMC fmj or Remington FMJ) I've been able to hold 3" groups at 9 yards with point of aim shooting (versus using the sights, which on the Kahr P380 are legitimate, unlike on the Kel-Tec P3AT I sold when I upgraded to my Kahr.) Check them out, you might be glad you did. If you find a nice used one you can get a decent price, and some that break-in work may have already been done for you.

This is a time for you to consider the advice of most reliable instructors - stay away from potential threats. Having to be in the Oakland area does not mean you have to stay in Oakland. Though traffic in and out of Oakland can be a bear, not anything close to Colorado, it would still be better than carrying in a town that will throw the book at you if you're caught. No matter what gun you may have, if you have to use one the only consolation you have is that you may still be alive - but in jail. Carrying is not an accidental thing, you will have no defense for breaking the law, and in California, especially Oakland, I doubt you will find a jury that won't convict you.

Im new here, but there is a gun i have been considering that sounds like it may be worth a look at least. Check out the "Sccy cpx-2", its a double stack, small 9mm that holds 10+1....and to top it all off it retails for less than $300 with a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

The Sig 938 I believe is having some problems, so you may want to avoid that one for the time being. The CZ is a good gun. The Beretta Nano is the one I carry myself, and adore it. I'm wearing it as I type this in a new Versacarry belt clip holster I got in this afternoon. I don't know that I'd call a 9mm micro-compact a "pocket gun" but if you have big pockets, it can be done. (I can do it with cargo shorts, but not in jeans, although I'm 5'6" and about 115 lbs)
If you want pocket comfy, consider going to a .380 and using good SD ammo like Speer gold dots, Federal HST, or the like in the heaviest gr. weight they make for that round. That will shrink the size of the gun substantially while still giving very adequate threat stopping power.

This is the Nano I carry:
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

changes to a stock Nano that I've made include a stainless guide rod, Trijicon night sights, a Centerfire laser, and Talon rubberized grips. I use Speer GDHP-SB 124gr +P 9mm

The Sig 938 and CZ Rami (both single stack I believe) seem to have 'fuller' grips. Admittedly. perhaps my bias towards Sig might very well be influencing my 'feelings' here, they fill my hand better than typical single stacks.

I know this post is about a month old, but if you're still interested, coupla things here:

The Rami is a double-stack. I carry one almost daily. If I recall correctly, the BD comes with one 10-round and one 14-round mag. If they made the BD when I bought mine, I probably would've sprung for the extra money, but that protruding lever, along with the double-stack mag, leaves the weapon completely out of the "pocket pistol" category. I also have a Kel-Tec PF9 (single-stack 9mm) and even that is pushing the limits of a "pocket pistol." I have carried it in an inner pocket of both 5.11 tac-pants and a Condor "Summit" jacket that I wear often, but even the PF9 at only 17 ozs. will cause "sag" in the way the pants or jacket "hangs" on me. The Rami is closer to 28 ozs. loaded, so even though it's small, it's still a boat-anchor, and is pretty easily spotted by cops or someone who knows what they're looking for. I carry mine various ways, IWB, OWB and a shirt-holster (Link Removed), but pocket carry is out of the question for that weapon for me, except of course, in the case of an emergency like dropping it in the big pockets of my bathrobe if I have to jump out of bed to greet an uninvited "guest." Hasn't happened in 30+ years of carrying though, so the Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I maintain hope that it never will.

I know that the slimness is preferred and better for pocket carry, and fully agree with that theory. My argument is if I do not feel comfortable with a slim gripped gun, and have better control with a bit fatter gun, isn't that worth the trade off?

I don't disagree with that calculation, as long as you leave out the part about a Rami being a "pocket pistol," and really, even the single-stack 9mm's are pushing both weight and size to fit comfortably into that category.

Blues

I to agree, you should look at a .380 with +p loads. I carry a Sig P-238 most of the time with Speer Gold dots. Also have Ruger's LPC, and Kel-Tec P3AT. I own several 9's Kel-Tec Pf9, Ruger SR9C. My newest is a Kimber Solo CDP LG, Expensive Gun and unreliable, stay away from! I bought the Kimber to Replace the Sig P-238 for winter carry. That is not going to happen till the problems are worked out. Till then I'm sticking with the Sig.

I just recently purchased a Glock 26, and have been surprised at how nicely it fits my hand. Made me wonder a lot about this 'for vs against' Glock mentality that seems so prevalent. Also surprised at how nicely it conceals worn OWB at 4 o'clock position if I am wearing a loose t-shirt or sweatshirt. FWIW, size 10 female here. Doubt I will prefer to carry it during summer, but it will definitely be part of my winter attire.

I also ordered a Beretta Nano for daily concealed carry, it should arrive next week. I am really excited to see how that performs! But once again, single stack. Will likely fit my hands better than yours, but I have read about a fair number of men carrying them as pocket guns.

I just got a Versacarry holster for my Nano and am wearing it right now to get used to it. I really like how small it is for carrying the gun.
Regarding the Glock hate, I think a lot of it started with the old 1911 fans disliking the idea of a "plastic gun" when they came out, lacking trust in polymer technology vs steel. Also as they gained in popularity, some people just hate whatever is most popular and common, looking for some way to stand out in a crowd. That's about the only thing I can offer there.

Here's a pic or two of that versacarry

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

I just got a Versacarry holster for my Nano and am wearing it right now to get used to it. I really like how small it is for carrying the gun.
Regarding the Glock hate, I think a lot of it started with the old 1911 fans disliking the idea of a "plastic gun" when they came out, lacking trust in polymer technology vs steel. Also as they gained in popularity, some people just hate whatever is most popular and common, looking for some way to stand out in a crowd. That's about the only thing I can offer there.

Here's a pic or two of that versacarry.
<snip>

Thank you, love that Versacarry! Slim, compact and simple!

Thanks also for the 'Glock hate' info. This being my first Glock I wasn't quite sure what was the deal. As soon as I picked it up I noticed how nice it fit in my hands and had to have it. Nice and accurate at 25 ft, which I am happy with. Simple to clean. Can only ask for good weather to go out and practice with, lol!

The Sig 938 I believe is having some problems, so you may want to avoid that one for the time being. The CZ is a good gun. The Beretta Nano is the one I carry myself, and adore it. I'm wearing it as I type this in a new Versacarry belt clip holster I got in this afternoon. I don't know that I'd call a 9mm micro-compact a "pocket gun" but if you have big pockets, it can be done. (I can do it with cargo shorts, but not in jeans, although I'm 5'6" and about 115 lbs)
If you want pocket comfy, consider going to a .380 and using good SD ammo like Speer gold dots, Federal HST, or the like in the heaviest gr. weight they make for that round. That will shrink the size of the gun substantially while still giving very adequate threat stopping power.

This is the Nano I carry:
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

changes to a stock Nano that I've made include a stainless guide rod, Trijicon night sights, a Centerfire laser, and Talon rubberized grips. I use Speer GDHP-SB 124gr +P 9mm

I have a P938 and no issues to report. Gun is great for concealed carry, but hurts the hand a little due to the grip style they have. Wouldn't care much about that in a life/death matter, but a little annoying at the range. Sights on it are awesome.

I also have to go with the recommendation of the Sig P938. I had considered the G26, but the narrower profile of the Sig won. You will find that the P938 can be tough on the hand, so the next thing I added were Hogue grips, and I'm not looking back. It does make adding a CT Laser difficult, since some surgery is required on the rubber grips.

After trying out both leather holsters and Kydex, my personal preference for CC is the KT Mech Gunfighter holster.

NVBB

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back