I have my CCW, yet, I bought another pistol...

gdcleanfun

Banned
Okay, so by now we all know that my instructor was not up to snuff. That said, and if I remember correctly, but what he taught us maybe incorrect, but, he told us that here in Nevada that we qualified with certain semi-automatic firearms and those are the firearms that are listed on our ccw's, so then what do I do now that I've bought other pistols and I want to include them on my ccw. What do I have to do to get them listed? Do I and my hubby have to take the class again? Do we have to apply again at the sheriff's office with the paperwork and the $$$? I hesitate to call our instructor, he'd probably steer us wrong, again. I'm hoping that someone here is a Nevada instructor. I think I recall that maybe GF is, maybe some others, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

If it was issued by the Sheriff's office then I'd think all you have to do is go there and have them add it to your permit. I'd call them and ask. It's very unlikely you would have to take another class.

EDIT: After reading on the Nevada forum it looks like you have to qualify with the new weapon then they will add it to your permit. Read this post http://www.usacarry.com/forums/nevada/2821-changing-caliber.html#post25524 it has some great info in it.

Last edited:
If it was issued by the Sheriff's office then I'd think all you have to do is go there and have them add it to your permit. I'd call them and ask. It's very unlikely you would have to take another class.

EDIT: After reading on the Nevada forum it looks like you have to qualify with the new weapon then they will add it to your permit. Read this post http://www.usacarry.com/forums/nevada/2821-changing-caliber.html#post25524 it has some great info in it.

I did read that one, thanks, Red Hat. But seeing as how my situation is just a little bit different I think it's a good idea you have that I call the sheriff's office. Thx!

Best would be to PM "Netentity" I believe he's a NV and UT Instructor. I took the NV class, and at the time that I took my class, you had to qualify with each firearm you wanted listed on your permit. As of January of this year, the law changed slightly to include "any revolver", but semi-auto pistols still need to be listed individually from what I understand.

I'm sure Netentity would be able to clear things up.

gf

Yes, and thx GF, that's my understanding, but I'm wondering if I need to go thru the whole course again, which mean I'd have to pay the fee again, then pay the sheriff's office again. I guess that's what I need to check on.

Last edited:
Yes,and thx GF, that's my understanding, but I'm wondering if I need to go thru the whole course again, which mean I'd have to pay the fee again, then pay the sheriff's office again. I guess that's what I need to check on.

Check out the site: The Gun Store, Inc. and click on the "Concealed Firearm" link on the left side of their homepage. You'll have to pay $25 for the firearms certification. It looks like the only fee paid is to the instructor at the gun range. Once you get the qualifiacaton form, you will take it to the place where you got your CFP and they'll add it to your permit. They may charge you the "duplicate license fee" if you're not adding it at the time you renew your permit.

gf

If you have not found an answer to satisfy your question Lukem would know. He used to run the Nevadacarry site before he started usacarry.

Nope, not yet, and thx. I did look on the site that GF provided but my specific question is not answered there either.

I am going through this right now, as I have 4 new firearms to add. The instructor I had was very knowledgeable about the process. What you are doing is an add-on. In the presences of a licensed instructor, you need to qualify with your new firearm. I went on Saturday to do mine, shot my 30 rounds of ammo per firearm, and got my signed add-on document. On Friday, I will take it to the sheriff's department and they will add the new firearms while I wait. It costs $15 per change at the sheriff's office. Here is a reference to my Link Removed that explains the process. I will let you know how it goes and if there is anything that was left out.

I am going through this right now, as I have 4 new firearms to add. The instructor I had was very knowledgeable about the process. What you are doing is an add-on. In the presences of a licensed instructor, you need to qualify with your new firearm. I went on Saturday to do mine, shot my 30 rounds of ammo per firearm, and got my signed add-on document. On Friday, I will take it to the sheriff's department and they will add the new firearms while I wait. It costs $15 per change at the sheriff's office. Here is a reference to my Link Removed that explains the process. I will let you know how it goes and if there is anything that was left out.

Great info, great web site reference, thanks. I hope it works the same in Nye county as it does in Washoe county. $15 is certainly affordable for a change on the cc card, especially if more than one firearm is added at the same time. Now I just have to find a different, local instructor.

Great info, great web site reference, thanks. I hope it works the same in Nye county as it does in Washoe county. $15 is certainly affordable for a change on the cc card, especially if more than one firearm is added at the same time. Now I just have to find a different, local instructor.

Glad it helped. I will post after Friday and let you know how it goes.

Just wanted to post an update, I added all 4 new firearms to my permit without a problem. Went to the Washoe County Sheriff, filled out a little addition form, paid my $15.00, got my updated card in about 15 minutes. There were not hassles or problems.

It really sucks that,every state has differant rules.

In Washington state,you don't have to take any classes at all,or list,or qualify with any certain calibers.

So, I would guess,that there are many people in Washington who can't shoot,but have a concealed
weapons permit.

But It's cool for me,being that I have spent lots of money going to shooting schools,and plus
being a veteran of the U.S. Army, it saved me more time and money,not having to prove
my skill level and competence with firearms. And I could buy any gun I want ,and carry it right away,
because guns and caliber are not listed on Washington state concealed weapons permits.

I know in parts of California,they list the guns serial number,on the CCW.That would suck,when buying a new gun.

But the future will tell what happens next,with all the gun laws.

Steve...

I have my CCW

gdcleanfun, congrats on getting your license. I am in Washington now, and have my CPL, and was very shocked to obtain it with nothing more than $55.25 and a set of fingerprints. In Arizona, to obtain a CCP, you must take a course which includes a written test you must score 100% on and a trip to the range, where you must qualify with at least a 70% score. I am not worried about my own shooting skills and knowledge, as I qualified in the police academy, in a security guard academy in California, with both a .45 auto and a .38 pistol. I also qualified every six months while I was with the sheriff's dept, and at the Arizona State Prison academy, and twice through the CCP class (one ofr renewal. In addition, I am an amateur gunsmith, a reloader, and I was on my department's pistol team. I think I don't need any additional training, but I would love to be able to afford Front Sight. It sounds as if you can have a pistol added to your permit with a qualification with it and a $15 fee. That seems very reasonable, and I wish you all the luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back