I have a CCW from Ohio. If I move to another state does it become invalid?

keith37

I was stationed in Ohio and got my CCW. I recently retired and moved to another state and noticed that Ohio will not issue CCWs for out of state people, so I'm not sure if mine is still good for reciprocity issues.:wacko:

I was stationed in Ohio and got my CCW. I recently retired and moved to another state and noticed that Ohio will not issue CCWs for out of state people, so I'm not sure if mine is still good for reciprocity issues.:wacko:

Good question. I moved from Iowa to Arizona. While I don't need a permit to carry here, my Iowa license is good until 2016, or is it? It makes a difference if I want to carry outside AZ. The bottom line I guess is to get a license here, but I'd like an answer.

My educated guess is it becomes invalid. When I moved to Washington, when I filed my new address and became a WA resident, my Oregon permission slip became invalid immediately.

In my case, I still owned a house in Iowa until last month, so technically, it should have been good until then. I guess now, not so much.

First of all, what happens in other states is completely irrelevant to what happens in Ohio. All that matters is what Ohio law says.

1. Ohio law requires you to notify the sheriff that issued your license of your change of address within 45 days. Did you do so?

2. Whether your Ohio license is still valid is a bit of a grey area. Some sheriffs revoke the licenses of those who move out of state and some do not.

If you still have residency in Ohio you are ok. As soon as you change residence your permit usually has to be updated within 10 DAYS. You have to notify Sheriff's Dept of county you LEFT and county you are MOVING to. States are very specific as to whether or not they will administer non-resident permits.

And, as stated above, check local statutes regularly. Don't depend on local LEOs knowing the answers to these questions. I walked into a Sheriff's dept last summer to ask a specific question about a certain place I wanted to know if I was restricted from carrying in. A deputy came out with a copy of statutes printed in 2007!! and he did not know the answer. When I went on line there had been numerous amendments and some of the statutes did not even exist anymore from 2007. Always do your own research and a lawyer is good to have on speed dial.

I looked up the laws in Iowa and I didn't see anything about change of address or moving. In fact, unless I broke the law in some way that would jeopardize my license, it remains in force for 5 years. For me, this would be 2016. I wish I had more clarity on this, but I couldn't find it.

In Indiana...the license itself clearly states "YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the State Police, in writing, within 60 days of a name change and/or address change."

I would imagine that the same basic idea goes for many Carry Permits.

Also, if your permit says you have a resident permit, and if you are no longer a resident......? It doesn't take to much imagination to see there's a problem once you're out of state, residence-wise.

Do you still have your Ohio driver license? If so, that with an Ohio CC permit would still work in states that recognize the Ohio permit, e.g. Michigan or Indiana. After you have a non-Ohio driver license, it gets complicated---no longer valid in Michigan but still OK in Indiana.

50% of the equation happens to be which state did you move to, which you fail to tell us. For example, the minute you become a Washington resident, any out of state permit that you hold becomes invalid in Washington.

100% of the equation happens to be, however, the Federal prohibition against carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' of a school, unless you possess a permit issued by the state the school zone is located in.

Residence is an important issue with your permit. That is why it is rare to find PO Box on a permit unless you are a permitted NON-resident. Listen to Almost_Blameless....

This thread is a classic example of why people should ask state-specific questions in that state's forum rather in a general forum.

RT48, Thanks for the info. I will inform them ASAP. I asked a few cops and got "deer in the headlights" back. I should have made that call first but retirement took priority. Also thanks for the info that there are state forums... I'm new here.

Keith (the FNG)

Oh and just for the other folks that posted, I am currently stuck in the peoples republic of Illinois... so I don't have any rights.

Residency is a requirement

According to Concealed Carry - Resources, Maps, Forums, Articles - USA Carry Ohio is a shall issue state doesn't issue non-resident licenses, it would only seem naturally that your license would no longer be valid once you established residency outside of Ohio. Below you will find this stated from the sites material. Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Shall Issue to Residents Only:

Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:

Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington

May Issue to Residents Only:

Alabama, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, New York City, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:

Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York

Right Denied:

American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands

If you hold an Arizona CCW Permit, you are required to notify the State Department of Public Safety of your new address. there is no problem KEEPING the Permit when you move out of State, because while the state issues out of state residents a permit it is not tagged as such. Best advice I would give you is to contact the department that issued your particular permit and get the straight up answer from them. BTW, nothing says you can't hold more than one! Arizona will authorize a permit based on out of state training, and it's good in 35 states.

The reason it's sometimes considered a grey area is because of ORC 2923.128, which says the license will be revoked if: "At the time of the issuance of the license or temporary emergency license, the licensee did not meet the residency requirements described in division (D)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code and currently does not meet the residency requirements described in that division." (emphasis added) They added the "and" to that sentence because it's possible to apply for a license in Ohio before you've actually met the residency requirements. They just hold the application until you've been here long enough and then issue the license. The grey area comes in because that "and" makes it sound like you have to have been a nonresident when you originally got your license, for them to be able to revoke it after you leave. Unfortunately I've yet to see a Sheriff interpret it that way, so it'll almost certainly be revoked.

The answer is yes, because you have given up your residincey in your previous state, so therefore it is void.

Are you sure about that? Please site the law. Not the way it works in my state, unless revoked, a permit is valid until it expires whether I move to another address or another state. If you know this for fact fine, but don't guess based on what your state does.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back