I don't get it

A vote last night by R. O. city council agreed to remove the ban on open carry. While most feel open carry is dangerous to the public, I do not. Those of us that are CPL owners have gone by all the rules and should be allowed to do what we feel comfortable with. The laws have really come a long way in recent years, and we don't want to regress.
The comments I've read at WXYZ.com., the opponents think there's going to be an "OK Corral" thing going on there. No matter how you feel on this issue, I think it's an insult to all of us legal carriers,whether you OC or CC, to think we'd be stupid enough to use this opportunity to be stupid ! ! !

Again that's how YOU feel. why are you so against others exercising their right? I have heard of more crime being deterred from open carry rather than concealed. Also I have had many many more GOOD encounters with the uneducated while OC then I have while CC meaning they ask me about my firearm and I explain that even they could carry a weapon with them open or concealed (in my state) legally if they went through the process and that even though they dont see the weapons they have been around them many times before. As you so eloquently stated there is a reason LE carries Openly.

Link Removed

I will end with this, there are many people on this site that will argue both sides till they are blue. I will not say one should only OC or one should only CC but I will say carry how YOU are comfortable and stay armed. How I carry should not matter to you as long as I am carrying legally.

Everyone has their opinions. In Michigan being a "Shall Issue State" it's scary how easy it is to obtain a CPL. A lot of people can pass the class quite easily, but that doesn't mean they can handle firearms safely. I think Open Carry sould also have to have some kind of permit or license. Yes it is your right to keep and bear arms, however a lot of people are not emotionally able to respond to people reacting to them or have the ability to answer to people who have questions. There was one person in my CL class that quite honestly scared me and a few other people with their gun handeling skills and they couldn't hit the proper target and most of the time didn't even listen to instructions.

Now this is an "Opinion" of mine and some others. Open carry will make you the 1st target of anyone who has their mind set on commiting a crime or a mindset to murder. If your not one of them you will either be disarmed by the element of surprise or quite simply taken out.

I am however for the Second Amendment Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Not every one deserves the right to carry whenever they want into a public place.

Jason

I will agree with you BigBad that you should need a permit to open carry also that is how it is in TN and GA for me, however that is because we are issued firearm/weapon carry permits not CC licenses. As for an OC being the first target they might be But alot of stars must line up properly for that to happen, ie the OC must be near where the BG is and be turned in a way that their weapon is facing the BG and the BG must notice the weapon. Most BG's have their mindset on one thing and one thing only to get in get what they want and get out. Yes there are the times when the BG is just mad and goes into a place and just starts shooting people, 1 what are the chances your going to be there? 2 what good is CC going to do you vs OC. I can tell you for me it is a much quicker draw and on target from my Blackhawk(OC) holster in my IWB holster (CC) so in theory I would be able to react quicker. But as I stated earlier I do CC and I do OC but instead of saying there is a time and place for OC I will say there is a time and place to CC. If you have never OC I suggest trying it just once so you know whether or not it is for you. You might be surprised and realize that the element of surprise that you loose is SURPRISE its just like CC except a little more comfortable.

Gun Owner Saves Lives In The Richmond VA Golden Market Shooting

Excellent point. Nobody has the right not to be offended.

So some people really don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about what they do, proceed to do whatever they damn please with no regard for anyone else, how it affects others, their opinions of gun owners, the general public, anyone or anything else.

They seem to enjoy offending people. Nice lot of igorant pricks they are. :pleasantry:

Are there any mirrors in your house?

Understand What The Unabridged Second Amendment IS...

The Second Amendment IS my Concealed (and Open) Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent

The Second Amendment does not state "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" Except...

IF your zip code is x...
OR your standing at y...
OR the type/class of weapon you have or desire to have/carry is z...
OR if said weapon is carried openly or concealed...
OR if you have passed whatever draconian licensing & or registration scheme the federal, state or other municipality government deems appropriate...

The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don't Come From Government
Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT

The Unabridged Second Amendment:
Link Removed

The best reason for strong open carry rights, in my ever so humble opinion, is actually to protect concealed carriers. Say you live in a state, like Pennsylvania, where open carry is legal. Let's also say you are carrying your firearm in a concealed manner, with the proper permit, as you do most days. While out shopping you trip, or bend down to tie a shoelace, or perform some other action that causes your cover garment to slightly reveal your firearm. Maybe you are simply printing. Because you live in a state where one may carry concealed or open, then no crime has occurred.

Now let's take the same situation, and move it to South Carolina. Again, you have a permit, and you are carrying concealed. That same cover garment slip, that same case of printing, and now you have broken the law. The police are called, you are detained (provided you are fortunate enough to escape being shot), and you receive a citation and/or are arrested. Your firearm is confiscated, you lose your permit, and your family is left defenseless while you work your way through a very expensive court procedure.

Open carry is important to us all.

I usually carry my firearm concealed, but I see no problem with the deterrence effect of open carry, and am glad that open carry is another tool in my box for self protection. It certainly seemed to work when I carried on duty!

You made the statement saying that it seemed to work when you were on duty. You are or were obviously a policeman. Are you also saying that it did not, or would not, bother you if while on duty you responded to a call that a person carrying a handgun openly was walking around the local grocery store? Just curious.

The Second Amendment IS my Concealed (and Open) Carry Permit\\\" - Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent charged with 11 deer hunting violations in California

Matt Weiser - The Sacramento Bee

Rock star Ted Nugent, a 1970s guitar hero for hits including \\\"Cat Scratch Fever,\\\" has recently created a successful second career as an advocate for hunting and outdoor ethics.

His television show, \\\"Spirit of the Wild,\\\" is a four-time \\\"Golden Moose\\\" award winner on the Outdoor Channel. He has used his celebrity status to help promote better pay and working conditions for California game wardens, and consistently rails against poachers and other wildlife criminals.

So it was with a double take of disbelief that two California game wardens sat down in February to watch the show, and witnessed Nugent allegedly violate several California hunting laws.

The Feb. 9 episode showed Nugent killing a young male deer with bow and arrow near the El Dorado County town of Somerset.

The wardens were alarmed because the footage appeared to show Nugent killing a \\\"spike\\\" buck, or one whose antlers have not yet grown long enough to fork. Killing such a young deer is illegal in California.

It also appeared to show the deer feeding on a powdery material spread on the ground before it was shot.

The Department of Fish and Game launched an investigation, spokesman Patrick Foy said, which later revealed this material to be a commercial deer bait. It is illegal in California to hunt with bait.

\\\"We looked at it and we just shook our heads, saying \\\'I can\\\'t believe he actually aired this episode,\\\' \\\" Foy said. \\\"We were all really disappointed to see this happen with a guy who is a representative of hunters.\\\"

Nugent was later charged with 11 misdemeanors related to events that unfolded on his own television show, Foy said.

On Friday, following a plea deal with the Yuba County district attorney, Nugent pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in Yuba Superior Court: illegally baiting a deer, and failing to have a deer tag signed by a government official after a kill.

Nugent did not appear in court. He was represented by Yuba City attorney Jack Kopp, who did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The 61-year-old rocker, who lives in China Springs, Texas, was penalized with a $1,750 fine.
The Second Amendment does not state \\\"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED\\\" Except...

IF your zip code is x...
OR your standing at y...
OR if you have passed whatever draconian licensing & or registration scheme the federal, state or other municipality government deems appropriate...

The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don\\\'t Come From Government
Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT

Link Removed

Matt Weiser - The Sacramento Bee

Rock star Ted Nugent, a 1970s guitar hero for hits including \\\"Cat Scratch Fever,\\\" has recently created a successful second career as an advocate for hunting and outdoor ethics.

His television show, \\\"Spirit of the Wild,\\\" is a four-time \\\"Golden Moose\\\" award winner on the Outdoor Channel. He has used his celebrity status to help promote better pay and working conditions for California game wardens, and consistently rails against poachers and other wildlife criminals.

So it was with a double take of disbelief that two California game wardens sat down in February to watch the show, and witnessed Nugent allegedly violate several California hunting laws.

The Feb. 9 episode showed Nugent killing a young male deer with bow and arrow near the El Dorado County town of Somerset.

The wardens were alarmed because the footage appeared to show Nugent killing a \\\"spike\\\" buck, or one whose antlers have not yet grown long enough to fork. Killing such a young deer is illegal in California.

It also appeared to show the deer feeding on a powdery material spread on the ground before it was shot.

The Department of Fish and Game launched an investigation, spokesman Patrick Foy said, which later revealed this material to be a commercial deer bait. It is illegal in California to hunt with bait.

\\\"We looked at it and we just shook our heads, saying \\\'I can\\\'t believe he actually aired this episode,\\\' \\\" Foy said. \\\"We were all really disappointed to see this happen with a guy who is a representative of hunters.\\\"

Nugent was later charged with 11 misdemeanors related to events that unfolded on his own television show, Foy said.

On Friday, following a plea deal with the Yuba County district attorney, Nugent pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in Yuba Superior Court: illegally baiting a deer, and failing to have a deer tag signed by a government official after a kill.

Nugent did not appear in court. He was represented by Yuba City attorney Jack Kopp, who did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The 61-year-old rocker, who lives in China Springs, Texas, was penalized with a $1,750 fine.

Two thugs waiting in parking lot to rob bank: "Hey, there are two guys in plain clothes that just walked into the bank with pistols on their hips, maybe this is a bad time ?"

Or, " Yeah, let's get in a gun fight, sounds like fun".....................Not likely.

Ted Nugent for President. After Obama is finished in 2012, Nugent for Prez. Naw, he won't run he is too smart to put up with all the b.s. and hypocrisy, besides he is too busy hunting and shooting on his own land!

Honestly I advocate concealed carry, But I really do not go to any extrordinary pains, if i bend over, or my shirt sticks, so what, OC is leagle here, whats kind of cool is, with your weapon is seen, or it is printing, people tend to leave you alone

"To my Fellow Outdoorsmen.... You may have read the news that I pled no contest to two misdemeanor game violations in CA. I should have been better informed, more aware and I take full responsibility. Our honorable hunting lifestyle is my deepest passion." Ted Nugent

The Second Amendment IS my Concealed (and Open) Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent
The Second Amendment does not state "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" Except...
IF your zip code is x...
OR your standing at y...
The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don't Come From Government
Link Removed

Nicely posited, Bohemian! :yes2:

You made the statement saying that it seemed to work when you were on duty. You are or were obviously a policeman. Are you also saying that it did not, or would not, bother you if while on duty you responded to a call that a person carrying a handgun openly was walking around the local grocery store? Just curious.

I was an officer for three years. In the state where I worked, open carry was legal. I saw people open carry all the time, and to be truthful, it did not bother me at all. However, I did have colleagues who resented the fact that "civilians" (they mistakenly believed that they were not) should not be allowed to carry weapons at all.

While I believed that I derived my authority from the badge on my chest, and chose to exercise that authority with great care, there are many who rather believe that their authority is derived from the tools of coercion on their belt (pistol, tazer, cuffs).

Trust me: Bad guys DO NOT wear their guns openly. Also, 99.9% of bad guys DO NOT have permits.

We never got a MWG (man with gun) call that did not also have some concurrent criminal activity involved. I am sure that, were we to receive a MWG call with no other information, the dispatcher would have notified the reporter that open carry of a firearm was not illegal.

It is always interesting when the CC’ers get on their high horse (or hobby horses) and start to berate OC’ers with their “wisdom” of OC’ing. Of course the first thing that comes out is “My CCW instructor said no one should open carry” well of course he did, they make MONEY hustling the state CCW course…duh! Then the next worn out line is trotted out with a knowing nod “If you OC you’ll be the first to get shot, in fact you’ll be targeted” …what absolute tripe, I have only read of one incident that remotely resembles an OC’er being targeted. If anyone here has additional cases that are substantiated, please post them (substantiated being the key word here). Then he ole tried and true “My god you’ll scare people”…. nonsense, I OC everyday and have yet to have anyone call the police or run away screaming. Here in South Eastern AZ OC is fairly common, and excepted.

As one poster mentioned, bad guys don’t OC they CC. I never worry about the gun on a OC’ers hip, I worry about the gangbangers guns you can’t see, and they CC.

There have been several posts about licensing OC, a license to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights, have you people gone so far over the line of political correctness that you are swallowing that crap. It was not that many years ago, that OC was common and excepted, many of the opinions expressed on this thread by the advocates of CC are helping the anti gun folks. What is next a license to drink beer?

Folks the 2nd does not care whether you OC or CC, it is YOUR right to carry…period, it does not give weight to blowhards or their opinions. OC or CC per the 2nd is unimportant, what is important in that you have the right to carry. Exercise it as you wish.
Instead of spending time whining about OC’ers, we would all be reaffirming our rights under the 2nd Amendment by pulling the wagon at the same time in the same direction to protect and strengthen all of our rights under the 2nd Amendment.

Just for clarification I do have CCW’s, but choose to exercise my rights to OC or CC as the occasion warrants, I decide, my choice.

Steve

OC is sadly not legal in my state, Texas. Of all possible places, can you believe it's not legal here?

I wouldn't choose to open carry even if it were legal, but I firmly believe in the right to do so.

It is always interesting when the CC’ers get on their high horse (or hobby horses) and start to berate OC’ers with their “wisdom” of OC’ing. Of course the first thing that comes out is “My CCW instructor said no one should open carry” well of course he did, they make MONEY hustling the state CCW course…duh! Then the next worn out line is trotted out with a knowing nod “If you OC you’ll be the first to get shot, in fact you’ll be targeted” …what absolute tripe, I have only read of one incident that remotely resembles an OC’er being targeted. If anyone here has additional cases that are substantiated, please post them (substantiated being the key word here). Then he ole tried and true “My god you’ll scare people”…. nonsense, I OC everyday and have yet to have anyone call the police or run away screaming. Here in South Eastern AZ OC is fairly common, and excepted.

As one poster mentioned, bad guys don’t OC they CC. I never worry about the gun on a OC’ers hip, I worry about the gangbangers guns you can’t see, and they CC.

There have been several posts about licensing OC, a license to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights, have you people gone so far over the line of political correctness that you are swallowing that crap. It was not that many years ago, that OC was common and excepted, many of the opinions expressed on this thread by the advocates of CC are helping the anti gun folks. What is next a license to drink beer?

Folks the 2nd does not care whether you OC or CC, it is YOUR right to carry…period, it does not give weight to blowhards or their opinions. OC or CC per the 2nd is unimportant, what is important in that you have the right to carry. Exercise it as you wish.
Instead of spending time whining about OC’ers, we would all be reaffirming our rights under the 2nd Amendment by pulling the wagon at the same time in the same direction to protect and strengthen all of our rights under the 2nd Amendment.

Just for clarification I do have CCW’s, but choose to exercise my rights to OC or CC as the occasion warrants, I decide, my choice.

Steve

To keep this response simple. Do you think anyone who can purchase a handgun or any gun for that matter should be able to walk around in the public with it?

Jason

I don't think anyone should be walking around with an AK or a shotgun, but if all the good guys banded together and OC'd all of the time, it would become common place and therefore remove all of the doubt.
By refusing to be open about this, we're just re-affirming that Big Brother is still in charge.
If the Gov. would concentrate on getting illegal guns out of the hands of the BG's, we wouldn't need to carry at all. I don't carry to protect myself from you when you choose to OC !

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost"

Link Removed
Texas

Summary
Texas is not a traditional open carry state. They also do not allow open carry, or even printing, by those who have a concealed carry permit.
Link Removed
Come-on Texans Remember the Alamo! get on your State Legislators!

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost"

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...

"We don't suggest that people panic,
because there hasn't been a problem with open-carry demonstrations in other cities."

Palo Alto, CA police Lt. Sandra Brown, Mercury News, March 5, 2010

"There's even an organization whose raison d'etre is promotion of open carry
. . . OpenCarry.org. These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

"The anti-gun rights lobby's furor over the presence of guns
near the president . . . is an attempt to somehow reverse the normalization of guns."

Professor Brandon Denning, Cumberland School of Law (Birmingham, AL),
Christian Science Monitor, August 8, 2009

:biggrin:
Honestly I advocate concealed carry, But I really do not go to any extrordinary pains, if i bend over, or my shirt sticks, so what, OC is leagle here, whats kind of cool is, with your weapon is seen, or it is printing, people tend to leave you alone

+1. I have noticed that too.:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back