I am Joe's Gun

TheEggman

[Classified]
I am Joe’s gun. I’m almost as much a part of his daily outfit as shoes or socks. In fact, Joe goes without his socks more often than he goes without me.
Joe keeps me hidden away whenever he can. Few people outside of Joe’s most trusted friends even know I exist.
I can’t think for myself, I can’t reason and I can’t act on my own. I’m just a simple machine with few moving parts -- about as complicated as a stapler. I have no brain, no muscles and am neither good nor evil.
Now I am a dangerous machine, I’ll have to give you that. Like Joe’s lawnmower, chainsaw, hedge clipper and automobile I can be very dangerous in untrained or irresponsible hands.
Fortunately Joe and the other law-abiding citizens who take their duty of self defense seriously are committed to their responsibilities as gun owners.
Joe knows and obeys the law. He takes me to the shooting range to practice on a regular basis -- a lot more often than most policemen do.
Joe would never allow me to fall into the hands of a child or other irresponsible person and would never use me unless there was no possibility of ready escape or retreat.
Joe thinks of me much like his insurance policy. He hopes and prays that he will never have to use me, but knows that if he has to, I could save him or his loved ones from death or injury at the hands of evil people who don’t care about, much less obey laws. (Handguns are used defensively almost 2 Million times every year, most often with no shots fired.)
I don’t know why some people hate me and want to get rid of me without really knowing anything about me. If they concentrated on the subhuman criminals who misuse tools such as guns, automobiles, chain saws, ice-picks, baseball-bats, pocket knives, hammers, machetes and authority, regardless of any law, and left law-abiding people like Joe alone you would all be more secure.
At the very least Joe does no harm, as demonstrated in the 40 plus states where the citizens are ‘permitted their right’ to carry firearms. In these places crime rates have dropped and are still dropping far faster than the national average -- much faster than places where firearms are essentially banned.
It’s obvious that when I’m owned and carried by law-abiding citizens like Joe I do far more good than harm.
It’s sad that many laws keep honest people like Joe from defending themselves while no law or regulation has ever, nor will ever keep me out of the hands of criminals.
Since it is a demonstrated fact that the best defense against bad people with guns is good people with guns, I'm glad my sisters, brothers and myself are carried by people like Joe
-- you should be too.

Last edited:
Very informative and well written. Now how do we get this out to all the anit-gunners?

Thanks all for the kind words. I got the idea from an old Reader's Digest Series "I am Joe's Heart," etc.

If anyone wants to 'spread it around' ...

Permission to reprint this article, or to use on a Website, for news or other Non-Commercial purposes is hereby granted with the following restrictions.
  • The text of the article should be included in it's entirety. Other than minor formatting and/or grammatical edits, it may not be edited or condensed. (You may make changes to reflect local laws and regulations. (All localities do not require fingerprinting, for example.)
  • The notice "Original Article Copyright 2007-2008 by T.S. Eggleston" must be included.
  • You may omit the copyright notice if you choose to send the text as a "Letter to the Editor" or to media outlets. Please, however, include something to the effect..."The following is submitted to you with permission of the author, T. S. Eggleston"
  • Though not required, a link back to the Jumpgate at http://www.the-eggman.com/ would be appreciated.
Best all, keep your head down and stay out of the line of fire.

Egg

Nice piece Eggman.
I take exception to one point." Now I am a dangerous machine "
I believe There are no dangerous machines, only dangerous operators.
The anti gun groups push this dangerous gun idea. They invented the term assault rifle to demonize semiautomatic rifles that look like a millitary weapon. Let us not play into there hands by perpetuating this myth. We all know that we can be in the presence of the worlds most powerful handguns and rifles, and yet not one of them will jump up and attack us.

Nice piece Eggman.
I take exception to one point." Now I am a dangerous machine "
I believe There are no dangerous machines, only dangerous operators.
The anti gun groups push this dangerous gun idea. They invented the term assault rifle to demonize semiautomatic rifles that look like a millitary weapon. Let us not play into there hands by perpetuating this myth. We all know that we can be in the presence of the worlds most powerful handguns and rifles, and yet not one of them will jump up and attack us.

Point made. The article was recently re-written/edited but I did leave the dangerous machine part in. I do hope, however, the comparison to common power tools "in untrained or irresponsible hands" clarifies things a bit.

I Edited the initial post to reflect these changes.

For the new article see: Link Removed

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Best

Egg

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back