Hypothetical situation

hogwylde

Being that I live in Massachusetts - MA compliant guns come with 10# triggers (or at least most of them do).

Now suppose you used your gun in a legitimate self defense situation and were found innocent by the court of law but you had done a trigger job on your gun; could/would they find you guilty of some other weapons charge due to the trigger job?

IOW...is modifying a gun to any any point that the state deems it to be illegal a chargeable offense?

I guess I am sort of relating it to motorcycle exhaust pipes. Many are "illegal" to have and won't pass inspection if you have them on your bike but yet are sold everywhere.

Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

Does Massachusetts really have a trigger law? First I've heard of it. Some agencies have trigger laws, ie. New York actually has Glock give them the "New York trigger" which is about 11 -12 lbs. which supposedly reduces the danger of negligent discharge but in reality means that if a New York cop start shooting get behind something huge, thick and heavy because there is no telling where his bullets will go. Trying to control multiple shots with that heavy of a trigger is tricky indeed. That's why most double action weapons turn into single action after the first shot.
PS, this isn't meant to insult New York's finest, just a commentary on what their dept equips them with. I'm sure some will argue that they are just fine with the heavy trigger. Of course the families of dead innocent bystanders and dead hostages might disagree. The simple fact is that you are more accurate with a more reasonable trigger pull on the second and subsequent shots.

Does Massachusetts really have a trigger law? First I've heard of it. Some agencies have trigger laws, ie. New York actually has Glock give them the "New York trigger" which is about 11 -12 lbs. which supposedly reduces the danger of negligent discharge but in reality means that if a New York cop start shooting get behind something huge, thick and heavy because there is no telling where his bullets will go. Trying to control multiple shots with that heavy of a trigger is tricky indeed. That's why most double action weapons turn into single action after the first shot.
PS, this isn't meant to insult New York's finest, just a commentary on what their dept equips them with. I'm sure some will argue that they are just fine with the heavy trigger. Of course the families of dead innocent bystanders and dead hostages might disagree. The simple fact is that you are more accurate with a more reasonable trigger pull on the second and subsequent shots.

No wonder they have so much trouble! I do all right with a heavy-ish trigger, but the Chiappa's is so wide you get lots of purchase and it doesn't seem as bad as it is.

I believe there would be repercussions. Similar to what would happen if you had a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches.

I am not a lawyer and have never been to Massachusetts but I a pretty sure it would be like being rear ended and you are driving drunk. Even though you didn't cause the accident you will get a dui.

Why take a chance. In a state like Massachusetts, violating a simple gun ordinace could cause you to loose your gun rights entirely.

Being that I live in Massachusetts - MA compliant guns come with 10# triggers (or at least most of them do).

Now suppose you used your gun in a legitimate self defense situation and were found innocent by the court of law but you had done a trigger job on your gun; could/would they find you guilty of some other weapons charge due to the trigger job?

IOW...is modifying a gun to any any point that the state deems it to be illegal a chargeable offense?

I guess I am sort of relating it to motorcycle exhaust pipes. Many are "illegal" to have and won't pass inspection if you have them on your bike but yet are sold everywhere.

Yes, that's apples to oranges, a apple or orange can not put you in jail for attempted murder, but if MA has a trigger law and you have a incident and your gun is used and the case is brought to trial, they would have checked the trigger pull already, thing is I would hate to have a clean shoot and then be screwed over because of a light trigger, that being said nothing I have is more than 4 lbs, Glocks and 1911s even my revolvers had trigger jobs, but I don't live in MA ether

I do believe there is federal law concerning alterations of a firearm, hence must be a licensed gunsmith. I believe, I haven't really researched it. Maybe someone else can expound upon.

This regulation applies to transfers or sales from an FFL to a person purchasing a new firearm only. It does not pertain to what you own. For a full description of what's meant by the Attorney General, read here:

Link Removed

Specifically go to this section: More About the Standards of the Attorney General

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back