Hunting in Ohio with pistol

walther380

My Dad is traveling to Ohio for a week to hunt on a friends property. Can he carry a pistol for protection from the 4 legged variety? He does not have a CCW permit. He will be there during a muzzle loader hunt and he would be carrying a .45 auto. Here in Florida we can carry a pistol open while hunting without having a CCW so wasn't sure if Ohio had a similar law.

If he can carry does it have to be openly carried?

I did see there are strict rules on traveling with firearms in vehicles which I will go over with him before he leaves.

Thanks,
Kyle

He can carry openly in Ohio without a license as long as he isn't in a vehicle. That doesn't guarantee he won't attract attention though, so be smart about it. Out hunting nobody will bother him. On a city street, he might get questioned. You get the idea.

You can carry in Ohio with the Flordia Permit As for carrying while hunting he can carry as long as it is concealed. Check out the Ohio department of natural resources website, sorry don't have a link.

He does NOT have a permit to carry concealed.

Can he openly carry while hunting? Then lock it up in the truck while traveling?

The short answer is no, he can not OC during muzzle loading season with or without. a conceal carry license.

Thank you Skip. Do you know if there is any issues with carrying on private property? Im guessing you could do whatever you wanted with a firearm on privately owned property. If the law stops at the property line then he would be legal.

Public and private property, are both subject to the Ohio game laws and address the issue. A CHL is not required during the gun ( handgun) hunting season but the gun must be open carry. THe holder of a CHL is perrmitted to carry concealed during any season.

Open carry is allowed in Ohio without a license, so why are you saying the short answer is no? Is there some restriction in the ORC I'm not aware of?

If he is hunting, he falls under the Ohio hunting laws which preclude open carry. Since he is muzzle loading hunting, with no CHL he can only carry a muzzle loader.

Okay. It isn't in the law. It's in the hunting and fishing regulations. It only applies to muzzleloading and archery seasons, which explains why I didn't know about it. I don't do either of those. Another dumb regulation to pile on the heap. Thanks for letting me know.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back