Hunting Clothing

prichards

Does anyone have a recomendation on hunting clothing? I just began hunting for the first time, and quickly realized that my typical outdoor gear won't work when stalking a big elk. Sitka gear is clearly awesome, but expensive too. Any alternative, more affordable options??

Dude I'm in the same boat and quickly realized top of the line camo is STUPID MONEY. If you are really trying to cheap out, buy some old Milsurp at your local Army/Navy (old fudds on this site may laugh at this idea). Wait for sales. Remember most game is colorblind, so any camo can work, scent is far more important in my opinion. I suggest spending some extra money in scent control.

Does anyone have a recomendation on hunting clothing? I just began hunting for the first time, and quickly realized that my typical outdoor gear won't work when stalking a big elk. Sitka gear is clearly awesome, but expensive too. Any alternative, more affordable options??

Before you buy anything make sure you check your states requirement for "High Visibility" colors for hunting. Most states (I think) require a certain percentage of the clothing you are wearing to be hunters orange for certain seasons. Be clear on the requirement before you dump a lot of cash on your gear.

If you're stalking, you darned sure want to have scent ban in your kit. Nothing worse that getting your sneak in high gear only to have the wind shift and your prey picks up on your laundry detergent. By-by trophy/dinner.

Let us know how you make out.

Try Craigs List too.
I needed a new set of bibs, took a few weeks but I found one for 90% less than buying new.
I now have a cold weather set up, and freaking cold.

used BDUs?............

I guess I have to burst some bubbles. I have seen guys sneak around or stay on watch with all sorts of camo on. They are no more successful than the guys who are careful to block their outline or are able to sit still. Don't waste your money on the camo stuff. If what you need happens to be camo, that's fine. But it sure isn't necessary.

used BDUs?............

I deer hunt in my rattiest DCUs, with Rocky boots (if you know what these are, hooah!), with the prerequisite blaze vest, hat and gloves of course. Scent control is a must. You dont have to wear camo, but, from my exoerience, uniforms designed for hard use typically last longer, especially when you spemd much of your time driving deer like I do. Another plus, people think the blood stains are from deer. Hahahahaha i gut mine at home, not in the woods. Leaving that crap drives deer away. They aren't exactly stupid. Double back on your own footprints, youll likely find hoofprints in your tracks.

Last edited:
I guess I have to burst some bubbles. I have seen guys sneak around or stay on watch with all sorts of camo on. They are no more successful than the guys who are careful to block their outline or are able to sit still. Don't waste your money on the camo stuff. If what you need happens to be camo, that's fine. But it sure isn't necessary.
I can burst that bubble of yours as well. I managed to take 2 does last season that didn't know I was there. One was darn near gray, one was nice and plump, about 215 lbs. DCUs in harvested cornfields worked pretty good in my personal experience. More of it may be the way I stalk as well, though, I can move almost silently thanks to Uncle Sam. So maybe I didn't burst that bubble...

Hi there,
If you interested in German loden hunting wear, I can recommend my Etsy shop to you. You know, it's the deer-bone buttoned jackets and blazers, and some Green loden quilted military coats. If you interested in, visit it here: etsy.com/shop/ElegantSilhouettes
I collect these kind of hunting items and also selling them, and it's an ideal wear for the Oktoberfest too. I think I'll going this year.

Best wishes!

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back