How utterly stupid our governments have become....

NavyLCDR

I'm retiring after 33 years of military service and now that I am applying for civilian jobs my Wyoming driver's license with the still valid military extension past the printed expiration date is getting a lot of questions so I just applied for a Washington state enhanced drivers license (because the standard WA state drivers license isn't good enough to even get on an airplane with soon). These are the documents I presented to the WA Dept. of Licensing: Wyoming driver's license, which has a WA state address printed on it. Active duty military ID card. Military orders which show I am currently stationed to and retiring from WA state. A certified copy DD214 which shows my current WA state address. A WA state vehicle registration with my current WA state address on it. A certified birth certificate from California.

Guess what the clerk asked me? "Do you have a utility bill?" WTF?!? Why do I need a utility bill? "To show you are a resident of WA state." Wow. Really?!? Let me get this straight....I show you both Federal and WA state issued documents that show my current address in WA state, but instead you want a printed bill from Wave Cable TV company? I guess Billy Bob earning minimum wage at customer service at Wave Cable TV has got a lot more power than he thought - he gets to certify I am a WA state resident! So the clerk takes all my government issued documents to her supervisor and the answer I get back is, "We'll try these documents, but we aren't sure they will be accepted. Are you sure you can't get a utility bill?" I replied, "I'll just take my chances."

So, while I was waiting for an answer, I called the WA State DOL at the state capitol. The guy there was a retired Air Force veteran. He said, yeah, it's crazy isn't it? But, your DD214 and orders should be accepted. If they don't, then keep asking for supervisors until you get the highest person there, and if they don't accept it, then call us again. I did get my WA state enhanced drivers license about 1/2 hour later - and now my face is in the WA state facial recognition system so now they can track my movements based on any government connected camera such as traffic and ferry terminal cameras.

That's our government.....

Reba

Sinner saved by grace
Thank you for your 33 years of service. :)

OK. You were dealing with a DMV--what did you really expect? ;)

I'm glad it got resolved for you without having to make another trip.

Yeah, those "enhanced" licenses/ID's are a doozy.

NavyLCDR

You get paper utility bills, like in that box in front of your house?

I know, right! No, I would have had to log in to one of my accounts and printed off a .pdf file to take into them which they would have very gladly accepted over government certified documents. I think it's a conspiracy to allow illegal aliens to get driver's licenses and registered to vote for liberals.

niceshootintex

I'm retiring after 33 years of military service and now that I am applying for civilian jobs my Wyoming driver's license with the still valid military extension past the printed expiration date is getting a lot of questions so I just applied for a Washington state enhanced drivers license (because the standard WA state drivers license isn't good enough to even get on an airplane with soon). These are the documents I presented to the WA Dept. of Licensing: Wyoming driver's license, which has a WA state address printed on it. Active duty military ID card. Military orders which show I am currently stationed to and retiring from WA state. A certified copy DD214 which shows my current WA state address. A WA state vehicle registration with my current WA state address on it. A certified birth certificate from California.

Guess what the clerk asked me? "Do you have a utility bill?" WTF?!? Why do I need a utility bill? "To show you are a resident of WA state." Wow. Really?!? Let me get this straight....I show you both Federal and WA state issued documents that show my current address in WA state, but instead you want a printed bill from Wave Cable TV company? I guess Billy Bob earning minimum wage at customer service at Wave Cable TV has got a lot more power than he thought - he gets to certify I am a WA state resident! So the clerk takes all my government issued documents to her supervisor and the answer I get back is, "We'll try these documents, but we aren't sure they will be accepted. Are you sure you can't get a utility bill?" I replied, "I'll just take my chances."

So, while I was waiting for an answer, I called the WA State DOL at the state capitol. The guy there was a retired Air Force veteran. He said, yeah, it's crazy isn't it? But, your DD214 and orders should be accepted. If they don't, then keep asking for supervisors until you get the highest person there, and if they don't accept it, then call us again. I did get my WA state enhanced drivers license about 1/2 hour later - and now my face is in the WA state facial recognition system so now they can track my movements based on any government connected camera such as traffic and ferry terminal cameras.

That's our government.....
I would have thought your story was made up if I wasn't actually living in the USA in 2017. Thanks for the 3+ decades of service.

Now get yourself some real ID like a note from your IT guy at work.

The Place to Be

G50AE

I was expecting the clerk to ask to see your CCW Badge.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonasEichmann