How to use a Tourniquet in an Emergency - Mayo Clinic

The only thing I know about tourniquets is this, If you tie one around your neck and tighten securely, it will stop a head cold from settling to your chest. No I didn't make this up. I heard it from Red Skelton, years ago. But, still funny.

The only thing I know about tourniquets is this, If you tie one around your neck and tighten securely, it will stop a head cold from settling to your chest. No I didn't make this up. I heard it from Red Skelton, years ago. But, still funny.

Haha, thanks for the comic relief SR9.

This is a good introduction on how to use a tourniquet, provided by the Mayo Clinic.

As always, feel free to discuss the particulars of the video or provide additional information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufWXaljyII
The video shows putting the tourniquet on below the elbow. It's usually best to put it above the elbow (or above the knee for a leg injury). The forearm and the lower leg each have two bones - the radius and ulna, or the tibia and fibula. It is much easier to get good compression on the arteries when compressing against one bone, such as the humerus or femur. FYI: I'm a former paramedic and have had additional combat trauma training from an army doctor.

The video shows putting the tourniquet on below the elbow. It's usually best to put it above the elbow (or above the knee for a leg injury). The forearm and the lower leg each have two bones - the radius and ulna, or the tibia and fibula. It is much easier to get good compression on the arteries when compressing against one bone, such as the humerus or femur. FYI: I'm a former paramedic and have had additional combat trauma training from an army doctor.

Yes it does. However, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in that they weren't necessarily showing exactly where to place the TQ... just how. Perhaps they're just mistaken or there is different protocols within that organization? You're absolutely correct, though. I've always been taught to place the TQ as high up as possible, for the reasons you stated. Thank you for pointing that out.

Can we all agree, those participating in these discussions, that tourniquets should be placed as high up on the limb as possible? I know this sounds rudimentary but, I would like for these discussions to be filled with proper information backed by those experienced in such matters.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back