How to Use a Map and Compass – Never Get Lost Again

opsspec1991

How to Use a Map and Compass – Never Get Lost Again
With today’s technology and with everyone having GPS at their Fingertips knowing basic map reading skills has become somewhat of a lost art. But what do you do when the grid is down and your GPS becomes an expensive useless brick weighing down your bug out bag?
Knowing how to use a map with a compass is not only useful while you are out in the wilderness, but it could turn out to very useful in a bugging out situation or if you are trying to avoid certain “danger zones” if the S were to hit the fan.
If you have a map, a baseplate compass and a pencil in your bug out bag (and know how to use them) and you can see two prominent land features you will never get lost again.
We created a course that goes into much more detail at the Survivalist Prepper Academy as well as using mother nature to find direction and how this not only applies to a wilderness setting, but an urban shtf scenario also. Click here for more information.
Navigation Webinar
Before I get into how to triangulate your position on a map I want to go over a few of the basics of using a map with a baseplate compass so this all makes sense.
Read More:
How to Use a Map and Compass - Never Get Lost Again.
My Thoughts:
Just in case your GPS isn’t available anymore.

I have never used a GPS. Yes I've gotten lost a few times. And on those times I've seen things I never would have thought of. Beautiful scenery , great buildings, and awesome countrysides. But to me I'll stay with the old Rand-McNally road map book.
Last week I had to go to a place upstate with a friend. When I got into his truck he had his phone on GPS for directions. It said it would 67 miles and take 1.5 hours. I said I knew where we were going and he said he would let me navigate. So I told him how to go and where to turn. We got there in an hour and 17 minutes. Who needs a GPS.

I have never used a GPS. Yes I've gotten lost a few times. And on those times I've seen things I never would have thought of. Beautiful scenery , great buildings, and awesome countrysides. But to me I'll stay with the old Rand-McNally road map book.
Last week I had to go to a place upstate with a friend. When I got into his truck he had his phone on GPS for directions. It said it would 67 miles and take 1.5 hours. I said I knew where we were going and he said he would let me navigate. So I told him how to go and where to turn. We got there in an hour and 17 minutes. Who needs a GPS.

Typing on some modern technology and connected to the internet with untold amounts of knowledge at hand, and bad mouthing another modern technology.

LOL. The OP talks about navigation using a compass instead of a GPS device in conjunction with a topographical map, and not road maps. This is for any type of land navigation, such as for hiking. Your old Rand-McNally road map book is pretty useless if you get lost on a hiking trail.

We regularly do have people getting lost for a few days in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, because they "knew where they were going". They simply got lost on a hiking trail and have no map, no good compass, and no basic navigation skills.

As for a proper GPS device, it can be a useful tool. It also can be pretty useless for those that have no clue about maps and navigation.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back