how to remove heat shield from MP 15 AR rifle??

Usa007

can someone walk me through how to remove a heatguard from ar/15 and is there a special tool for the front sight to adjust it?

You mean the handguard over the barrel correct? Pictures of the weapon in question would help.

If they are the factory plastic 2 piece guards, you have to grasp the ring at the receiver end and pull it back toward the rear of the rifle. It's best to put the rifle butt end on the floor for this procedure, it will require some force. As you pull the ring back you will see the lip of the guard that is held under the ring. If you get the ring back far enough it will come off... Tools help... See the video..

You can move the front sight post up and down using just a small screw driver to depress the pin. There are tools that make it very easy and will cause less damage. I have one that cost me $7.00 and goes on a keyring...

The front sight is designed to use the tip of a FMJ loaded round to depress the little pin and turn the sight. A tool is much easier to use and doesn't leave marks on the sight. You can get one from Brownells.

Tip: Do not use a live round on the front sight. Use a dummy round, a small punch, or an AR sight tool. BASIC trainees were taught that a common nail can be used, which were usually in sandbags on the range for us.

The heat shields should only be removed from the handguards for cleaning purposes, then reinstalled. There's also a handguard tool available for that guard ring. They can be a real pain by hand, but not impossible. Once the handguards are removed you'll run into one of two heat shield types.

The first will be snapped into a groove. Simply remove them from that groove and they're out. The other has plastic plastic rivets pushed through the shield that are then heated and crushed to keep them from being removed. If you have the plastic rivet type, do not remove them as you may not ever get them back on.

Heat shields are there to protect your hands from burns as well as to keep the handguards from melting.

Thanks for the handguard removal info as I want to swap my MOE style for picatinny style. Seems easier to find accessories for picatinny than MOE.

Thanks for the handguard removal info as I want to swap my MOE style for picatinny style. Seems easier to find accessories for picatinny than MOE.

Magpul sells rail sections that can be attached via screws to the Magpul MOE handguards in different lengths. I have 3 rail sections on mine that allow me to attach the bipod, RVG, weapon light, laser, coffee maker, shaving mirror... etc...

DSG Arms and others have 'em...

Magpul sells rail sections that can be attached via screws to the Magpul MOE handguards in different lengths. I have 3 rail sections on mine that allow me to attach the bipod, RVG, weapon light, laser, coffee maker, shaving mirror... etc...

DSG Arms and others have 'em...
Thank you for the info. I like that idea better. Much more flexible.

Thank you for the info. I like that idea better. Much more flexible.

Welcome... I love the look and feel of the Magpul MOE gear. Lighter weight also.. Here is mine with some gear attached..

Link Removed

Link Removed

And one with the rail section shown. The rail sections attach at the 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions on the rail. They come with the hardware required and are rugged...

what carry handle from midway will match the gun because i hear some are different finishes? also do all the carry handles come with the option for a picattiny on top?

Welcome... I love the look and feel of the Magpul MOE gear. Lighter weight also.. Here is mine with some gear attached..

Link Removed

Link Removed

And one with the rail section shown. The rail sections attach at the 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions on the rail. They come with the hardware required and are rugged...
Great pictures, thanks. Very nice configuration. But where exactly is the coffee dispensed, need to know so I can position cup correctly :sarcastic:

Great pictures, thanks. Very nice configuration. But where exactly is the coffee dispensed, need to know so I can position cup correctly :sarcastic:

Left side (non ejection side), this allows you to keep your firing hand in the ready position.. try to avoid muzzle exposure...:biggrin:

what carry handle from midway will match the gun because i hear some are different finishes? also do all the carry handles come with the option for a picattiny on top?

Not sure about the finish on them. You'll have to check the specs for the carry handle. Most will have a hole in about the center that allows a mount to be added. There are different carry handle rail section mounts out there. My carry handle is fixed as the rifle is an A2 configuration and pre-ban (built before the 1994 assault weapons ban brought to us by the liberal left)... The mount I added has a channel through the middle that allows me to use the irons in case the red/green dot fails...

Are M&P rifles mil-spec or commercial?

i want to get a magpull moe stock but dont know if it will fit?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back