How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed

tgbtg1970

I recently saw an episode on Best Defense about how to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed. I was pulled over a couple of weeks ago and followed the instructions I had seen on the program to the letter. When the officer approached my truck I had my window open and both hands on the steering wheel. She asked me how I was doing and I politely stated..."Before we go any further, I want to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit and I have two loaded weapons in the truck...how would you like to proceed." The officer asked me where the guns were located and I told her. I forfeited my guns to the officer and we proceeded with the traffic stop. When all was said and done she returned my firearms to me and thanked me for handling the situation the way I did. Was I nervous? Yes. But I felt much more at ease about the whole situation by bringing my pistols to her attention right up front.

Not sure what your state laws are but nowhere in our state laws does it say we must surrender the firearms. I would respectfully decline for this primary reason, 1-Never, never hand anyone a loaded firearm. Glad it worked out for you but since you have a ccw permit that should identify you to LEO'S that you have been vetted and are a "Good Guy". I personally take exception to being treated otherwise but that's just me.

I forfeited my guns to the officer and we proceeded with the traffic stop.

Funny... I've been stopped 3 times while carrying in my vehicle (chronic speeder I am), I never said anything to the police officer about my guns or CPL and I didn't have to forfeit anythig to them...and once the cop even asked me to exit the vehicle because he wanted to speak to me in private, not in front of my family, and he didn't say anything at all about the openly carried PT-145 in a holster on my belt.

I just don't see the need to inform police about items I am in lawful possession of and legally carrying, when there is no requirement in my state's law to do so (Washington).

Also, I'll bet the cop checked the serial numbers of your guns to see if they were stolen.

Welcome to the forum!

Oklahoma laws only allow them to take your firearm if it is an arrest.
They have the right to see them but that is it.

Oklahoma laws only allow them to take your firearm if it is an arrest.
They have the right to see them but that is it.

First, respectfully, police officers have no more rights than you or I do. They have authority. Also, what gives police the authority in Oklahoma to "see" firearms? That seems to be contrary to Oklahoma statute §21-1290.8. Possession of license required - Notification to police of gun. Notice paragraph E.:

E. Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/OK_Statutes/CompleteTitles/os21.rtf

I don't give law enforcement any information they don't ask for. I believe that the cop is smart enough to ask if they feel it's important. I just don't want to waste their time.

I've had dozens of law enforcement encounters over the years while I was carrying. (DUI checkpoints, vehicle accidents, moving violations, witness to fights or minor crimes). At no time did any of these public servants ask. And at no time did I tell.

I've been asked dozens of questions. (Some of them really stupid). But at no time did they ever ask if I had a Pistol.

I guess they just weren't interested.

And in every instance things went smoothly.

I just don't get why people try to make things more complicated than they are. I really think people just need validation.

I realize that in some States the Law requires notification.

In that case I suggest just handing the cop the Pistol License along with the DL and Insurance card. But I've been told your method works too.

My wife and I were pulled over last December coming home from Christmas shopping. The officer told us that he pulled us over because there had just been a beer run at the local CVS Pharmacy (about half-a-mile away) and that the perpetrators were seen leaving in a black SUV. Since we were travelling in a direction away from the CVS in a black SUV, he thought he'd take a look. While he did ask us if we'd mind him looking in the back of the vehicle, he never asked about any firearms nor did I tell him that I was carrying concealed. After assuring himself that we were NOT the suspects he was looking for, he wished us a good night and let us go on our way. He was courteous and polite all the while.

After we began driving again my wife asked me why I didn't volunteer that I was carrying. My response was simple: I didn't want to complicate the situation unnecessarily. My brother is a patrol seargent in the same jurisdiction and we've had many conversations about concealed carry and a few along these lines in particular and he agrees that unless an officer asks, there is no reason to tell. In Arizona, an officer may take temporary possession of a legally concealed firearm during a stop for his or her own safety. But I would agree with HueMan that you should never hand anyone a loaded firearm. In that case, it makes sense to do as I would with anyone else who wants to look at my gun: drop the mag, extract the round in the chamber, and hand it to them (muzzle down) with the slide locked open.

But that's a good topic for our next cigar conversation.

I am up herein Michigan, I was stopped by the cops in a seat belt check. I didn't tell them I had a CPL when she checked my DL she was informed of the CPL and asked why I didn't tell her, I said I was not carrying. She told me next time to tell them even if I wasn't carrying. As was said before it is for their safety as well as yours. They will tell you if they want to hold the pistol or leave it where it is.

As was said before it is for their safety as well as yours. They will tell you if they want to hold the pistol or leave it where it is.

I don't understand how telling a cop that I have a CPL and a gun causes them to be any safer.... I am not going to shoot them whether or not I tell them I have a CPL or a gun. They are just as safe whether I tell them or not and whether they find out for themselves or not.

Seems to me like I am the safest if nobody, including the cop, is handling my gun during a traffic stop. Inviting the cop to handle my gun by informing them of it's presence actually causes my safety and the safety of others to be in peril if the cop decides that they must handle my firearm

Also, police officer is the tenth most dangerous job in America. Garbage collectors die more often on the job than cops do. Does that mean if I see my garbage man I should tell him I have a gun? After all he just wants to go home safe to his family at night, right?

According to a current Ohio SWAT trainer and department firearms trainer for the last 15 years, know the law, follow it to the letter, and be polite and compliant no matter what. The officer, as the equipped professional with training, a radio dispatcher with State databases and records, and years of experience is supposed to treat every stop as a unique experience and approach the car as if everyone in the car is going to kill him until he knows differently - his safety is HIS responsibility. The officer controls the situation but should know the law or is only a radio call away from a Sergeant or lieutenant who knows the answer if he doesn't. A professional officer and a polite civilian will always make a stop as pleasant as possible and over soon.

Night shift convenience store clerks have one of the most dangerous jobs in America. Can you imagine "Before buying these cigarettes, let me inform you..." HAHAHAHA!

I recently attended a "Civilian Firearms Training" class that was presented by our local Sheriff's Office (an OUTSTANDING team of folks btw..) and this question was asked.

The response... "If the reason that I pulled you over has nothing to do with your firearm, then why do we need to make this situation more complicated" In other words - if you were stopped for speeding, why is there a need to discuss the gun ? Thankfully, Georgia is NOT a "Duty to Inform" state.

As NavyLCDR pointed out - the officer is no safer if I inform him of the presence of my firearm - in fact he may be substantially LESS safe if he is not familiar with the operation of my specific firearm. If I had no intention of using the gun against the officer, then he is no safer knowing that I have it... if I did have any ill intent - then it's probably a foregone conclusion that I would NOT be notifying him of it's existence prior to it's use.

I DO however agree with the intial premise of window open (at least partly) and hands in plain sight -
btw - my wallet is on the left - OPPOSITE my gun...

$0.02 deposited..... :biggrin:

[snip]

I forfeited my guns to the officer and we proceeded with the traffic stop.

[snip]

Excellent reason to keep your mouth shut, IMO.

Outside a moronic "duty to inform" law, it's none of the cops damn business what tools I have in my vehicle.

Having said that, if I'm ever asked to "step out of he vehicle" - which I never have - then I would simply hand my CCW permit to them and ask them how do they want to proceed.

Otherwise, I'm keeping my mouth shut, answering only the questions asked in the fewest words possible. If he's pulled me over on a traffic stop, he ain't my buddy and we're certainly not having a good ole boy conversation.

I believe that unless your state say's that you should inform them then you should keep your mouth shut.I do, and I would expect anyone else to also even as a retired L.E.O.

I would like to know where the stat is that show's the calibre of the weapon's used by garbage cans to shoot Garbage Collectors. I can't find any stat's about how many Garbage Collectors were wounded in the line of duty while protecting and serving the public.
Bill

The whole thing is silly to me hey I have a gun Ill give it to you so you can have a false sense of security then Ill stab you or better yet Ill shoot you with it when you give it back silly silly sily I'm glad everything worked for you now you know what works when your stopped by that particular ofc the next one could be different though my rule is never tell on yourself unless your in a God forsaken place like Oh

Also, police officer is the tenth most dangerous job in America. Garbage collectors die more often on the job than cops do. Does that mean if I see my garbage man I should tell him I have a gun? After all he just wants to go home safe to his family at night, right?

I see you quote this statistic a lot and I'm curious about where you get this information. do these garbage men die because of their OWN actions or because of the actions of another person. I don't see garbage men coming into contact with a lot of the population on a daily basis.

Not being sarcastic, but I just find it hard to believe and would like to know the source of the statistic.

I see you quote this statistic a lot and I'm curious about where you get this information. do these garbage men die because of their OWN actions or because of the actions of another person. I don't see garbage men coming into contact with a lot of the population on a daily basis.

Not being sarcastic, but I just find it hard to believe and would like to know the source of the statistic.

http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0009.pdf

Look at the last chart, page 19.

Notice the chart on page 11 shows you that homicides are included.

A garbage collector has a 166% more chance of dying on the job than a cop does.

And if you don't think garbage collectors serve the public, try living without them!

Here's another on for you:
Link Removed

Look at table 2 on the last page. A taxi driver is 4 times more likely to be killed by homicide on the job than a police officer is. So... should you notifiy a taxi driver of your gun and show them your license/permit if you take a taxi anywhere?

She told me next time to tell them even if I wasn't carrying.
That command has no more effect than if she'd ordered you to take her uniforms to the laundry or shampoo her carpets. If the law doesn't require you to inform when not armed, you don't have to do it, no matter what she might WANT.

And don't buy into the bogus "safety" argument. You telling her that you're armed won't stop you from shooting her, nor will you not telling her cause you to shoot her. Notification simply engenders a false and foolish sense of security. Police should assume that ANYONE could be armed and mean them harm. Any cop who doesn't is too stupid for the job.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back