How to handle a traffic stop while carrying concealed

The problem with this question on a nationwide forum is that we have people from 50 states with 45 different codified laws and 3 states with Constitutional carry discussing how to handle the same situation. this does nothing but confuse someone that does not understand how to handle it already.

The only way to KNOW how to handle this in YOUR state is (now don't get mad) to actually READ the law pertaining to your situation. You can also discuss it with an attorney licensed in YOUR state. Next, decide based on the facts how you will handle it in your state. Lastly, vow to stop reading these threads that include discussions from people from the other 49! You will only get confused and start questioning what was already a safe and sound strategy. Just say no!

Obviously, if you travel into other states, you must obey that state's laws, but don't even think about it until your about to travel - it'll only confuse you. :cool:

New member here but I am actually surprised how many people don't inform the LEO when they are carrying. Here in NC it is required to give them your CCW card with your license. Funny thing is every time I have encountered a LEO in a stop I start by having both hands on the steering wheel and informed them of my loaded weapon and that my CCW card was with my license in the dash and their attitude and demeanor toward me went full 360. 9 out of 10 times they went from hard @ss to being very friendly in a second and every time they thanked me for informing them of my weapon before letting me leave. I have even handed them my card and told them that there were no weapons at the time and even still saw the change in attitude. Even if I weren't required to give them my card I think I would rather let them know right out of the gate that I am carrying to avoid any complications further into the stop if they did find out without me telling them. I always found that most LEOs don't go out of their way to be pr*cks if your respectful during the stop instead of what the majority of the public does and treats them like crap.

I never disclose more than I'm legally obligated to do so, the Police represent the Government and when they make an official contact with you they are not looking to be your friend.

Here's another on for you:
Link Removed

Look at table 2 on the last page. A taxi driver is 4 times more likely to be killed by homicide on the job than a police officer is. So... should you notifiy a taxi driver of your gun and show them your license/permit if you take a taxi anywhere?

Here's the problem with statistics. They can be extrapolated to prove any argument. Your chart doesn't answer one of my basic questions. Do these garbage men die as a result of their own actions, or because of the actions of another person? Are armed bad guys going out to murder garbage men? Or, (more likely) do the garbage men die as a result of an industrial or motor vehicle ACCIDENT?

I will state, as I did before, that I don't see a lot of garbage men having a lot of CONTACT with the general public. I don't argue that they perform a much needed service and that they serve the public. But, really, how many people does the average man talk to in the course of his/her duties on a daily basis?

Your statistic about taxi drivers (from 1998, mind you) may be a valid point. However, I never said that being a police officer is the most dangerous job...just that it is A dangerous job. Taxi drivers die because they have money, which criminals want. Asking if you should inform a taxi driver that you are carrying is a ludicrous thing to ask. That is a tactic that is often used by the libs in this country...heap scorn upon an argument, then attempt to make it see stupid by asking questions that are ridiculous.

All this being said, I personally don't think that you should inform a LEO unless you are going to be in a position where you will be exiting your vehicle or otherwise interacting with the officer where your firearm becomes a factor.

Lakeland Man,

Here is the perfect example of the point I am trying to make:

New member here but I am actually surprised how many people don't inform the LEO when they are carrying.

My question is this, WHY is it surprising that people don't inform the LEO they are carrying, except in states where it is required to do so by law? WHY do some people feel OBLIGATED to tell the LEO about their gun when they are not required to do so by law? For example, if I am stopped for speeding, exactly WHY is my gun any more of an issue to a police officer in Washington state than it is to my garbage man, or than it is to a taxi driver?!? WHY should a LEO who stops me for speeding be treated any differently than anyone else?

People claim they tell the police officer about their permit and their gun (when not required by law) do so for the officer's benefit. WHY does a LEO deserve that "courtesy" above other professions? When a person gets into a taxi cab, that driver is 4 times more likely to get shot by the person who just got in than a cop is likely to get shot by the person they just stopped for speeding. So WHY is it so surprising to some that I won't tell a cop about my gun any more than I would tell the taxi driver about my gun?

Another perfect example of my point is:
On threads that discuss whether or not to tell a cop about the gun during a traffic stop when not required by law, there is a fairly large percentage of people who carry concealed that will say, YES, Absolutely, tell the cop about the gun! Yet, in my thread under General Firearms, not a single person says they would tell a taxi driver about the gun. Exactly WHY is there a double standard? WHY does the cop "deserve" anything more than the taxi driver does when the cop has chosen a career where they have only 25% chance of getting shot than a taxi driver does?

And another perfect example of my point:
How many threads do we read started by a person saying, "I got stopped by a cop, and I told him about my gun and showed him my permit and everything was fine..." WHY? Why is there not any threads about, "I hailed a taxi today, and I told the driver about my gun and showed him my permit and everything was fine..." If there is no law requiring it, than WHY is there a double standard?!?

I recently attended a "Civilian Firearms Training" class that was presented by our local Sheriff's Office (an OUTSTANDING team of folks btw..) and this question was asked.

The response... "If the reason that I pulled you over has nothing to do with your firearm, then why do we need to make this situation more complicated" In other words - if you were stopped for speeding, why is there a need to discuss the gun ? Thankfully, Georgia is NOT a "Duty to Inform" state.

As NavyLCDR pointed out - the officer is no safer if I inform him of the presence of my firearm - in fact he may be substantially LESS safe if he is not familiar with the operation of my specific firearm. If I had no intention of using the gun against the officer, then he is no safer knowing that I have it... if I did have any ill intent - then it's probably a foregone conclusion that I would NOT be notifying him of it's existence prior to it's use.

I DO however agree with the intial premise of window open (at least partly) and hands in plain sight -
btw - my wallet is on the left - OPPOSITE my gun...

$0.02 deposited..... :biggrin:
Hi Bruce, I'm the one who asked the question should I hand the officer my GWCL aka "permit" at the same time as DL. As I recall he said the only thing informing him will accomplish is make the stop take longer. Right, wrong, or indifferent - that was his recommendation.

Navy, why wouldn't a LEO not deserve to know that your carrying? Aren't their jobs stressful enough when they walk up to the drivers window on a routine traffic stop? Why not put them at ease more than likely making the stop go smoother for both parties? I also think there is a big difference between a police officer and a taxi cab driver. No disrespect to any cabbies out there but come on. Next you'll tell me you don't think there is a difference between the mailman and a fireman. Just a little confused by your logic and would love to hear more about what makes you think this way. Sounds to me that you have a hard on for police officers but I could be jumping to conclusions as typed words can easily be misconstrued. I also think for the guys saying there is no need to inform them, you should maybe put the shoe on the other foot and maybe think about it from their perspective. Some of the responses in this thread just sound very Anti-LEO.

Navy, why wouldn't a LEO not deserve to know that your carrying?

Because nobody else "deserves" to know that I am carrying UNLESS I choose to tell them! Why should I waive my right to privacy just because the person I am talking to is wearing a different uniform than I am likely to be wearing at the time?

Aren't their jobs stressful enough when they walk up to the drivers window on a routine traffic stop?

When the lights come on behind me, I immediately signal and pull over. I roll my window down all the way. I have my driver's license and military ID card (required to validate my out-of-state driver's license) in hand. I have my other hand not holding my driver's license and ID on the steering wheel. I greet the officer in a polite, respectful and calm tone of voice. If all that isn't enough to relieve the officer's stress, then giving them another piece of paper and telling them I have a gun in my possession isn't going to do anything more to relieve that stress.

Why not put them at ease more than likely making the stop go smoother for both parties?

Exactly HOW is me telling them about my CPL and gun going to make the stop go smoother for anyone? Exactly what is that going to accomplish? I used to have a bad habit of driving too fast and have been pulled over probably 15-20 times in my life (I am 45 years old). How many times has one single word been said about the presence or not of a gun in my vehicle? ZERO If NONE of the cops that have ever stopped me for a traffic stop have felt any reason to bring up a gun, then why in heck should I bring it up?

I also think there is a big difference between a police officer and a taxi cab driver. No disrespect to any cabbies out there but come on.

Yep. Cops are allowed to carry guns to protect themselves with. Most taxicab drivers are not allowed to either by company policy or laws that prohibit them. Cops have special training to deal with criminals, taxicab drivers do not. Cops are more likely to not have any major repurcussions from shooting a suspected criminal whereas taxicab drivers are likely to have major legal problems. When someone shoots a cop the entire police department and likely the state police forces are going to rally together to find the perpetrator, and the court is likely to sentence the perp to the max. A taxicab driver gets killed....yeah right.

Next you'll tell me you don't think there is a difference between the mailman and a fireman.

Sure there is. There's a difference between a cop and taxicab driver too. But that doesn't mean that I feel any more or less need to tell any of them about my gun, simply because of their chosen profession.

Just a little confused by your logic and would love to hear more about what makes you think this way. Sounds to me that you have a hard on for police officers but I could be jumping to conclusions as typed words can easily be misconstrued.

Why? Because I don't feel the need to tell them about my lawfully carried firearm any more than I feel the need to tell my garbage man about it? Or because I don't feel the need to tell a cop about my lawfully carried firearm any more than I need to tell them about my cell phone?

I also think for the guys saying there is no need to inform them, you should maybe put the shoe on the other foot and maybe think about it from their perspective. Some of the responses in this thread just sound very Anti-LEO.

Let me ask you this.... I tell the cop about my CPL and my gun. Where is there any protection for me? Why is it that a cop is authorized to take my gun from me and hold it for the duration of the stop? Where is there any protection offered to the citizen? Why should I give away what little rights I have to make a cop feel better? Is the criminal going to tell the cop about their gun first? NO. So then why should a cop be authorized to take my gun from me AFTER he has full knowledge that it is being carried in accordance with law?!? And why would I voluntarily invite them to do so by telling them about a gun that 99% chance isn't going to be asked about or be any factor at all? Why, if a cop finds out about my CPL is there any reason at all to ask about a firearm? If they didn't ask about a gun before knowing about the CPL, then WHY does finding out about the CPL offer any reason at all to ask about it AFTER they find out about it? After they find out about my CPL, why is there any concern at all about whether I am carrying a gun or not?

I live in Washington state and have been pulled over 3 tomes in this state while carrying. Twice I was CCing and DID NOT notify, did not have to notify, felt it would complicate things and could be a serious safety issue to notify. Many people think that just because a cop carries a gun they are a expert on guns, which is not the case. Neither time did the cop ask if I was packing. Another time I was OCing my Ruger Redhawk. The cop said nothing about the gun. I have heard many stories about cops overeacting to citizens carrying guns. Remember LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS ARE REQUIRED TO OBEY THE LAW AS WE ALSO DO. I REQUIRE THAT ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS RESPECT AND TREAT ME ACCORDING TO THE LAW, NOT THEIR PERSONAL VIEWPOINTS OR BELIEFS OR POLITICAL IDEALOLOGY. NOTHING LESS IS ACCEPTABLE.

Navy, why wouldn't a LEO not deserve to know that your carrying? Aren't their jobs stressful enough when they walk up to the drivers window on a routine traffic stop?

Just curious, how many people here feel the equal need to show their CPL and tell the officer they DON'T have a gun (assuming you aren't carrying, of course.)?

In NC, we have to inform if we have a weapon. Not sure about the law if no weapon but I'm sure each HP, local policeman and sheriff will give you a different opinion/version of the law. As an example, the city in which I live has one of the largest sheriff's departments in the entire state even though we have a multitude of local police and this isn't Raleigh or Charlotte which are the most populous cities/counties. I have ask the local police and gotten a different answer each time the question was asked.

Look at the target "audience", if you will, of each profession. Taxi drivers come into contact with people from every level of society. So do LEOs. However, LEOs are more frequently interacting with the scum of society, lawbreakers, and the like. Their job is to enforce the laws and arrest the ones who break them. Taxi drivers just take you from point A to point B.

Now unless you are upset at the way the taxi driver does his or her job, you probably won't have much confrontation with them. LEO, by the very definition of their jobs, are in a confrontational situation every shift. It is stressful. I know because I've been there. You have to treat EVERY contact with the public as if it could go wrong every moment. Thats not to say you don't act in a respectful manner, but your guard HAS to remain on high alert if you want to live through your shift.

Comparing LEO to garbage men or taxi drivers really isn't a valid comparison. They have 2 totally different types of occupations. That would be like comparing astronauts to pro football players.

Overall, I agree with NavyLCDR. If you don't have a duty to inform that is mandated by state law, and the situation doesn't warrant it, then keep that info to yourself.

In my opinion, people who inform when they don't need to either have deep guilt about carrying, or are subconciously trying to impress and/or bond with the LEO. ("Look, I carry a gun, just like you!") Of course, I'm not a psycologist, I just play one on TV.

I was leaving work and heading for the tag office as my tag ran out the day before. I got pulled by a Hickory city police officer. At the time I had applied for my Concealed carry permit, but I had not received it so it didn't cross my mind to inform the officer. He took my drivers license ran it, came back and said "Isn't there something you are suppose to tell me?" Well, I immediately knew what he was referring to and I replied that I had applied for the permit, but it had not been issued to me yet. He was OK with that answer and give me my license and let me go.

In NC if you have a concealed carry permit your drivers license check will let the officer know it. So you should tell the law enforcement officer that you have a permit even if you are not armed.

I live in Michigan and and we were informed in CCW class that if an LEO was to pull you over the first thing you do is tell them if you are carrying. They can get you for "failure to inform " Which could lead to you loosing your CCW permit.

I wouldn't want to chance it. If I'm carrying and I'm stopped I will inform the officer. The last thing I need is trouble from police! !

I wouldn't want to chance it. If I'm carrying and I'm stopped I will inform the officer. The last thing I need is trouble from police! !

Then you'd better keep your mouth shut unless you are lrgally required to inform.

In NC if you have a concealed carry permit your drivers license check will let the officer know it. So you should tell the law enforcement officer that you have a permit even if you are not armed.

Your CCW is also linked to your license plate. And if you look, you will also note that your CCW permit number is the same as your DL number.

You are required to advise the officer if you are carrying, but you are not required to advise that you are a permit holder, if you are not carrying. But since the officer will already know you are a permit holder, it just seems prudent to disclose that up front. I carry my CCW next to my DL, and hand both to the officer together, and advise whether I am or am not armed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back