How to get rid of Ammo

Hey Guys,

How do I properly get rid of old and unwanted ammo? I have ammo for firearms I don't even have. Reason is, my grandfather gave me his ammo chest with a TON of stuff in it. I have boxes of ammo for firearms he used to own and such. I don't want to throw them away (dangerous), I also don't want to give them to the police because here in PRMA they will ask a TON of questions which I don't want to go through. I thought of buying a bullet puller and going through each round, which would take me a ton of time and wouldn't work for the shotgun rounds. Any suggestions? Please let me know!

Thanks guy!

-CAPO-

I was afraid that would be someone's answer. Can a firearms store take them?

My guess would probably be no, since they have no way of knowing where the ammo has been or how it's been stored, or if it's handloaded (that is if they don't take the time to inspect the primers).

Last edited:
send it to me!

Hey Guys,

How do I properly get rid of old and unwanted ammo? I have ammo for firearms I don't even have. Reason is, my grandfather gave me his ammo chest with a TON of stuff in it. I have boxes of ammo for firearms he used to own and such. I don't want to throw them away (dangerous), I also don't want to give them to the police because here in PRMA they will ask a TON of questions which I don't want to go through. I thought of buying a bullet puller and going through each round, which would take me a ton of time and wouldn't work for the shotgun rounds. Any suggestions? Please let me know!

Thanks guy!

-CAPO-

Send it via carrier to me I'll shoot it all up. I won't even charge you disposal fees.:flood:

Hey Guys,

Thanks guy!

-CAPO-

What calibers do you have available?

Don't know about everwhere else but here In Fort Worth we can take it to the fire dept. There is one specific location to take it. You might give them a call in your area.

Ckeck your local ranges or gun dealers. Post on BB what you have. Several have asked already so I won't. I have several calibers. Ship to Willy or others.

How old???

Some older boxed ammo has collector value to it... whcih you can sell at a local gun show and use to buy more guns..:victory:

old ammo

good suggestions offered, and this may not be the best, but it works.Put all the ammo in a tub of water and let it soak for a month....and then wrap it in a moist towel, tie it tight and bury it..2 to 21/2 feet.

good suggestions offered, and this may not be the best, but it works.Put all the ammo in a tub of water and let it soak for a month....and then wrap it in a moist towel, tie it tight and bury it..2 to 21/2 feet.

:eek: Are you serious???? Though the ammo may be rendered "safe", simply burying ammo may cause a lot of problems down the line.

I STRONGLY advise against simply burying any ammo.

gf

Find someone that reloads and give the ammo to them. They can pull the bullets and reuse them. Also the brass can be reused. If the ammo isn't too degraded some may be still serviceable. I just pulled several hundred bullets from some old WWI 30-06 rounds. The brass was so bad that I could split the neck of the brass by pushing the bullet to the side with my thumb. I'm going to use the bullets to reload some of my 06 brass. I know someone would be happy to get your ammo.

Is it illegal to mail ammo?

Yes, it is illegal to ship ammo via the USPS. The post office here in PRHI routinely x-rays the outgoing parcels. I'm sure that they do the same in other parts of the country. From what I undersand, it's a Federal Offense. Ammo can be shipped via commercial carrier (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) The ammo needs to be properly packaged and declared to the shipper.

gf

Last edited:
Back in my EOD days, we burned it. I wouldn't recommend this in your case though. :biggrin:

They just burned some ammo in an episode of "Mythbusters". They found that the projectile wasn't as dangerous as fragments of the case when the cartridges exploded.

gf

They just burned some ammo in an episode of "Mythbusters". They found that the projectile wasn't as dangerous as fragments of the case when the cartridges exploded.

gf

That's why we kept a safe distance away while the Jiffy Pop action was going on. :biggrin:

You do realize that with the new environmental law's anything you bury can come back to bite you should you move....
Like I said before some old ammo has collector value, get a table or take it to someone that sells old ammo at the next gun show.:to_pick_ones_nose:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back