How to conceal...

Unearthed

So I have this Glock 19 that I absolutely love, but I'm having problems actually carrying the thing. I bought a Blackhawk Serpa holster, which I also love...but it seems the weight of the gun pulls it away from my body and makes it awfully obvious I'm carrying. It also pulls my pants down. The belt attachment is way worse than the paddle, so I've been wearing that. I've also taken some rounds out of the mag :( and have only been carrying 10 to alleviate some of the weight. I thought about carrying it IWB but I used to think my PF9 was annoying IWB...this must be worse. Oh, and sitting in a car with the 19 on is miserable!

What does everyone else do? Any suggestions for me other than making my belt tighter? :D

I carry a fairly large auto IWB at about 4 o'clock. Choose a good holster and a good gun belt. Then just make yourself wear it and you will get used to it.

back when I carried my Glock 32, I used a Galco IWB called the "Stow and Go". It was very thin and comfortable even for extended carry (and it was only $30 :D).

Link Removed

I have found that everything in life is a compromise?

In my case I found that some compromise was necessary. I found that I was having great difficulty properly concealing a full sized automatic. I was beginning to get quite a collection of holsters trying to find something that worked. I'm 5' - 9" tall and weigh 155 Lbs.. I got tired of dressing around the gun and found myself leaving it at home part of the time and carrying my "Baby Browning .25". I decided to define what I wasn't willing to compromise on.

1. The caliber would begin with a "4".
2. I had to be able to hide it without wearing a jacket.

Everything else was potentially negotiable!

This works for me.

Kahr-MK40 (.40 S&W)
Blade-Tech - IWB -(Ultimate Concealment Holster) set for the FBI cant and positioned at 8:00 O'Clock. (I'm a confirmed lefty!)

The little Kahr just disappears under only my tucked in shirt.
It is so comfortable that I don't notice it being there.

It is very worth the money to get a good concealment holster and belt.

I use leather. My favorite holster is Milt Sparks' VersaMax-II with a double thick 1 1/5" belt.

You might look at TT Gunleather. You can get a close copy of the VersaMax-II a lot sooner than the 20+ week wait from Milt Sparks. ;)

2rpfseu.jpg

Last edited:
I'm carrying a Glock 19 right now as I type this. It's concealed very well under an untucked flannel shirt.

The trick is, but your pant's one size larger and use a good IWB Holster and Belt. I'm partial to Milt Sparks, Kramer, Matt Del Fatti and Mitch Rosen for my Holsters and Belts.

My Del Fatti OWB hides my N-Frame Revolver as well as or better than an "off the shelf" Galco. If you are going to spend money on a gun, plan to spend money on a Holster and Belt. You get what you pay for, and there ain't no free lunch.

I hope that helps. :)

Biker

It really is, Unearthed. And by being able to tuck in your shirt like the video on the website shows, it is really hard to detect you are carrying. Also you can adjust how high or low you want the gun on your waist. So even sitting in a car for the "long commute" is comfortable. And with practice it is quite easy to draw quickly. Not as quick as an OWB, but what you sacrifice in a little speed you gain in concealability.

Dressing Around The Gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, let me say that I favor Inside The Waistband Carry.

With that in mind, I select my clothing with an eye towards concealment. My pants are 1"-2" larger in the waist than if I didn't carry a gun. My "cover shirts" are cut roomy, or in the case of T-Shirts, one size too large. I like dark colors and bold patterns to help disguise the gun I'm trying to hide, think Hawaiian here. My suits are gut to accomodate the gun in my pants and one in the pocket. Pleated pants work very well to hide a gun.

In the summer I wear Cargo Shorts and an untucked Hawaiian shirt with a T-Shirt underneath. The "covershirt" hides my 4" N-Frame Revolver or my Glock 19 with no problems. In the weakside pocket is my BUG. In the winter people say it's easier to hide a bigger gun. Maybe so, but if you pay some attention to your clothing you can hide that same gun most likely in the summer too.

I demand high quality holsters and belts. There is no sense in spending good money on an exspensive holster only to mate it with a cheap belt. That's like breeding a prize winning cutting horse mare to "Tony The Wonder Pony" from the circus.

For where I live I do not look out of place. No Trenchcoats in July. I'm not a "fashion plate" but I do look respectable and acceptable wherever I go. Case in point, I went to a party, could only conceal one gun due to how I was dressed. 4" N-Frame in a Matt Del Fatti Outside Waistband Holster with a Bruce Gibson Belt covered by a DHS Polo Shirt, one size too large, in navy blue, untucked. Never got made, and would've been confronted if the gun was "spotted".

Another part of it is moving in ways to minimize "telegraphing" your carry status. It's a long learning process, but I had some good teachers over the years and I hope some of you can use some of what I've said.

As far as Holsters and Belts, there are some good makers out there, but these are whom I use or have used and recommend:

Mitch Rosen
Milt Sparks
Matt Del Fatti
Bruce Gibson (Gibson ProRodeo, makes a great Belt)
Ted Blocker
Greg Kramer
The BeltMan
Don Hume (Pocket Holster)
Robert Mika (Pocket Holster)

Biker

Highly recommend UBG IWB. Just ordered my third one! (Well one is an OWB but the other two are IWB. Delivery time is 6 to 8 weeks.

Even the OWB conceals my 1911 better than the COMTAC IWBI got for it.

Last edited:
I carry a G19 every day, I have tryed lots of holsters, I am presently using a Bianch,i model 82 belt holster, it holds my 19 close to my body for better concelment.. I had to practice and practice using my middle finger to sweep the locking lever, but I finally got it,.. Galco makes a great belt slide too, go to PackingHeat.com for Bianchi, and Galco holsters, good prices...

I daily carry a PF-9 in a kydex IWB done by Stellar Rigs. I chose the vertical model, though Ed offers a canted (quick draw) model. It is so comfortable, I almost forget I'm packing. I realize the PF-9 is less massive, but you mentioned that you had problems even with it. IWB distributes the mass better, as long as you get a good product. IMO, avoid generic catch all holsters for this application. They might work for pocket holsters, and they might work for a Tomcat or P-3AT, but not for 9's and larger.

I carry an S&W M&P 45 in a SmartCarry holster. Clothing is not a consideration. Although I'm not a shorts person, it works with them as well. Running, walking, sitting, standing, driving, etc. are not a problem.

(I should have made my handle when I started on these boards to SMARTCARRY. I sing their praises as FOR ME, it works. I am concealed, not covered. I don't worry about being "made" because I am 100% legal. The best way for me to sell (and I have) people that are pro-CCW on this style of carry is i've taken them to the range. I can draw and fire, from cover in 2.0 seconds. So I am about 1/2 second slower, but that is a compromise I am ready for.

I have never used IWB much just because for me it is not comfortable. Digs into my fat gut to much. Even here in hot and humid Texas I find I have no problem with an OWB most of the time as long as I ware a shirt loose enough and with long tails. IF I wear shorts and t-shirt then it is time for my fanny pack. In the winter I sometimes wear a Leather vest from Coranado Leather that has the gun pockets made in on both sides. This makes it easy to carry a second gun.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back