How to build a SHTF bucket.

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
OK kids... We may need this later so listen up...

1. Go to your local Home supply store and buy 5 gallon poly buckets with a screw down lid and rubber gasket.

2. pack the sucker with MRE parts taking care not to nick the pouches (the meals take up a lot less space out of the big brown envelopes), Ammo, a hand gun(preferably one that fits the ammo) vacuum packed in a seal a meal pouch with a small container of dessicant and after a thorough cleaning . Socks, skivvies, pants, shirt, jacket, holster etc. (do not sore the gun in the holster! IT WILL RUST regardless of precautions).

3. Place a 1 pound chunk of DRY ICE on the top of the contents of the bucket.

4. Set the lid (with a light coat of vasoline on the gasket) on top of the bucket, but do not secure it.

5. Let the dry ice dissolve and the bucket return to room temperature. (Dry ice (CO2) is heavier than air and completely dry. It will not support life like bugs and mold. and will replace the gaseous contents of the bucket due to the miracle of gravity)

6. Secure the lid making sure not to tip or disturb the bucket.

7. Bury the bucket out on the north forty (away from human development) or where ever else is convenient and mark the location on your GPS and topographical maps.

8. Tell NO ONE!:mp230603212422Murde

Last edited:
That's a good idea,Festus.
I think it's a good idea to do several of them.Cause typically,when the SHTF,YOYO (you're on your own).

Sounds like a great idea. Just watch the area to make sure no one decides to build there, or else those MREs might end up as lunch for a bunch of construction workers. Finally, all that digging paid off!

my dad and I were actually talking about the best way to bury a firearm somewhere. nice idea. thanks for the post.

You can also use larger PVC pipe to put longer items in like rifles etc. Never tried it. If any one has let us know how it worked.

You can also use larger PVC pipe to put longer items in like rifles etc. Never tried it. If any one has let us know how it worked.

A friend and I tried this some years ago just to say we did. We used the black ABS 4" DWV left over from a house we were building. We securely glued caps on both ends then coated the ends with asphalt emulsion in case the glue job wasn't perfect. We didn't put anything valuable in it because it was a test. Dry Arizona desert air, some odds and ends packaged food, and a .22 rifle we wouldn't cry over if it got rusted. We buried it on the back of the 5 acres I lived on and left it about 8 months--through the winter. When we dug it up the following summer it had not leaked and everything inside looked fine.

Again, this was just for S&G even though we were thinking it would be good to know how it worked just in case.

I'm older now and rather agree with those who say: When you think its time to bury your guns, its really time to be digging them up. :icon_wink:

Back in '97 a group of friends and I buried a bunch of stuff in various "secret" locations on various islands here in the state of Hawaii. We buried items we would need in the event of a SHTF situation. This included firearms, ammunition, food, water, water purification stuff, etc. Well, Y2K came and left. When 9/11 came along, one of the guys in the group thought it would be wise to dig up one of our stashed supply points in case we needed it. Everything was in excellent condition.

We used PVC pipe that was glued on both ends and the screw on end caps were sealed with PVC glue, then dipped in asphalt. All of the "stash" locations are approximately 10' underground, and the one we dug up was in a very damp location. It frequently rains in the location where we dug up the stuff.

I'm confident that the other locations are holding up just as well. Maybe we'll dig up another location just to see how things are going.

gf

Thought I would resurrect this and few other threads.

Time to dust off the old skills and thought processes.

LMAO.... I thought you were gonna tells us how to make a Porta-Potty:sarcastic::sarcastic::eek:

The dry ice CO2 for air purge is a good concept and has sound physics principle. It should make a huge difference although a nitrogen or argon purge would be even better eliminating oxygen atoms completely thereby not only eliminating organics, but also rust.

metal detectors can find buried guns. I suggest you bury your cache on a property line for deniability purposes should it come to that.

I would have to say someone would have to try it to confirm it but I think it might be possible to use lead to mask the gun. I know if they try to use ground-penetrating radar the lead would mask the objects in the bucket but I had a thought that lead would help with fooling a metal detector. Like I said someone would have to try it to see if it would be possible.

About that nitro/argo purge.....

Hey, 2bear, any idea how that nitrogen or argon purge might work? Also, I thought that petroleum (a la Vaseline) would degrade the rubber gasket on a bucket lid. At least, it is supposed to have very negative effects on a certain other rubber barrier. :eek:

Hey, 2bear, any idea how that nitrogen or argon purge might work? Also, I thought that petroleum (a la Vaseline) would degrade the rubber gasket on a bucket lid. At least, it is supposed to have very negative effects on a certain other rubber barrier. :eek:

Pumping an inert gas like nitrogen or argon into a container pushes the ambient "air" (mix of gasses including oxygen) out of the container. Get a small bottle with a section of hose from a welding supply shop, stick the hose in down to the bottom of the container, place the lid loosely on the container so it holds the hose in place. Crack the bottle's valve. After a few seconds, the air will be replaced by the inert gas. Since there is now little or no oxygen in the container, oxidation is at least hindered. This means no rust, no corrosion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back