How To Become A Gunsmith?

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
How would you go about becoming a gunsmith? Are there classes at colleges you can take for this? I found this website but honestly don't see how ordering something online is going to teach me how to become a gunsmith.

Get Your GUNSMITH License TODAY!

I don't want to do it as a living but I'd like to learn how to do work on my guns myself.

Thanks. None of those have any more classes listed for this year or next year. Would be nice if a community college around here had this stuff but I doubt it.

Luke,
I often get mailers from these folks. The course descriptions seem like they'd be courses, and they are weapon-type specific (e.g. 1911, AR, AK,Browning HP, Revolvers, Bolt actions, etc.) I just haven't freed up both the time and cash at the same time.
Link Removed

School

Luke, I looked for my son. None around here. I just trashed the brochures of the schools I found.
Link Removed Closet I found.

You could go to one of the shops and maybe apprentice.

Luke,
I often get mailers from these folks. The course descriptions seem like they'd be courses, and they are weapon-type specific (e.g. 1911, AR, AK,Browning HP, Revolvers, Bolt actions, etc.) I just haven't freed up both the time and cash at the same time.
Link Removed

I signed up for the free email lessons to see how those are first. Thanks for the link.

Gunsmithing schools

I live in southeastern Oklahoma, There is a community college in Tishomingo, Ok that offers a associate degree in gunsmithing. The name of the college is Murry State College in Tishomingo Oklahoma. I don't know if they have any correspondence classes or not. Might google the college web site and see if they have anything like that or not. goodluck.

I'd love it if someone (else) could report on this school. After checking out several different Web sites which all seem to be connected (Google "FFL" and you'll find the same company with a different site), it looks like a scam to me. How does one go about getting a certification for gunsmithing on-line, especially so cheap, and how does one also get the paperwork to get an FFL certificate from the government on-line?

And so quickly, too. A few weeks to a couple of months? It sounds like the "college degree" or "become a minister today" scams.

Also notice how they call themselves "Phoenix State University," very close to the University of Phoenix, which does a very legitimate on-line college curriculum. Can you really become a gunsmith on-line, and obtain your FFL, too? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gunsmith degree

I looked into it also and wondered the same. I think it's a scam or just downright shady.

Surfcc

How to become a gunsmith

There are several correspondence schools that offer, among their other courses, gunsmithing. I started with one and was impressed. The tools and books came from Brownell's, and had it not been for a death in the family, I would have continued with it. What I had started with, along with some books on disaasembly and assembly, and some books written by people who know what they are talking about, I built up a pretty good set of skills to do my own work. Saves me a whole bunch of money, I'll tell you.

There are several correspondence schools that offer, among their other courses, gunsmithing. I started with one and was impressed. The tools and books came from Brownell's, and had it not been for a death in the family, I would have continued with it. What I had started with, along with some books on disaasembly and assembly, and some books written by people who know what they are talking about, I built up a pretty good set of skills to do my own work. Saves me a whole bunch of money, I'll tell you.

Which school were you enrolled in? If I could find a reputable correspondence school, I'd probably go for it, as there are not a lot of gunsmiths in my area. I know because I have been trying to find someone local to do a trigger job on my XD-40, and have repeately struck out. And it's something that you can do out of your garage, although to obtain an FFL license, you need certain extra qualifications.

The best school you could go to would be to work with a local gunsmith. Then you would get real world experience. Other than that you could do a local machinist course.

I am currently ernrolled in Penn Foster and i did a lot of research and it was the only legit one i really found and they have really good materials.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back