how often to clean a unshot carry gun?

I carry an LCRX .38. I inspect my gun about once a week and knock-out the pocket lint that seems to build-up behind the hammer. I pocket-carry so a lot of lint builds up. I don't think that lint, especially on the outside of the hammer, would cause a malfunction, but it's my carry gun. I don't carry it because I like the extra weight -- I carry it to save my life or the life of a loved-one. I don't take chances. I rarely get to shoot it (not including dry-fire) but I'll give it a thorough cleaning once a month or so.

Your gun will only take care of you if you take care of your gun. You paid a lot of money for it, so make sure you take care of it.

Found this on Concealed Nation site:

So, how often should you clean it?

If it’s a firearm that you carry and you miss out on some range time for an extended period of time, you should clean that firearm every few weeks. If you notice an accumulation of anything at anytime, it is recommended to strip down the firearm and give it a good scrub and re-lube. Give your firearm a good look every few days for any abnormal buildup. It can happen quickly sometimes, and you don’t want that to happen. What if a chunk of lint gets in your firing pin channel? You’ll want that cleaned out.

I carry my LCP in my pocket at work, so it gets a bit of sweat on it. When I notice that a bit of rust has formed on the mag release button, I strip it and put some oil on it and the slide. It's usually every couple weeks.

If you clean it well and oil it, just add a drop or two of oil every two to three weeks. :dance3:

An absolute nonsensical advice. If you "add a drop or two of oil every two to three weeks" you just oil up your gun internally for no good reason. Too much oil can be bad as it flows in parts of the gun where oil has no place, such as the firing pin or striker channel.

An absolute nonsensical advice. If you "add a drop or two of oil every two to three weeks" you just oil up your gun internally for no good reason. Too much oil can be bad as it flows in parts of the gun where oil has no place, such as the firing pin or striker channel.

Son, you know damn well that Conrad is out of his league when discussing guns..
He advocates a .32 acp as a "daily carry gun that will do the job"..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good stuff!!

What would people do without Google? Humanity would probably have to start out all over again; wouldn't it!

This is old information, Chen. It's been around for decades. Most of the NRA competition riflemen I used to shoot with were well aware of the need to remove impregnated residual gas and firing residue two or three days after the initial cleaning. Suggest you rev up that search engine some more.

Here's one article I found. Read Ed Harris' 1994 comments on using, 'Ed's Red' cleaning solution. A Clean Barrel. (Toward the bottom of the page)

Why have I continued to clean gun barrels like this for all these years? I'm careful to clean any gun barrel twice on any gun that I intend to store in the safe for an indeterminate period-of-time. There ARE elements in gunpowder that, over time, can cause rust or pitting to occur underneath an oil topcoat. I've got 40 + year old guns in my safe with bores that have been well used and, still, look brand new!

"A clean barrel" was a good read.....thanks!!

i have a beretta nano and carry it daily in either a barsony owb holster or tagua iwb holster. now every night when i take it off i remove the gun from the holster and wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag and store it out of the holster. i only get to shoot it about once a month or so, but i take it apart and clean it after its shot. however it can go a month if not a month and half with out firing it, should i clean it between shootings or will it be ok with a wipe down till i clean it in 4-6 weeks? thanks for any help.
I used to carry the nano, it's a great little gun.

I ran a mop through the barrel every day, and cleaned it about once a week. The nano is a tank and can take the lint/dust/etc, but I like a clean gun :)

I used to carry the nano, it's a great little gun.

I ran a mop through the barrel every day, and cleaned it about once a week. The nano is a tank and can take the lint/dust/etc, but I like a clean gun :)

Since it's a carry gun, I just have to say that it's rude to shoot someone with a dirty gun! ;)
Am not familiar with the nano, but I inspect and cycle my carry gun daily. It gets cleaned after any shooting. If not fired it gets cleaned about every other week..

Sorry but I couldn't pass up the dirty gun comment! And of course it's a joke in case anyone actually wonders.

USAF(Ret)

Dry climates, up to a year, but in the tropics, you'll want to clean it once a month. Weekly if in/near a salty environment.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back