How much ammo should we keep on hand

You are going to barter.sell ammo that might be used against you?

Lol, I thought I should been more descriptive. I have a lot of neighbors I'm friends with who are gun owners but haven't given any thought about prepping. I would supply them with what they need.

Always an interesting question and I like to see the responses...I believe in at the very least 1000 rounds per weapon. But that's just me. I know of a friend of a friend that purchased 100K rounds of .556 a month or so ago. I can't do that. I also know of people that think anything more than a couple of boxes of bullets you are border line crazy. I purchase what I can afford and store safely and only a few know just how much. I have bought more than most possibly but I HAVE never sold anything I have purchased. I am not a hoarder or profiteer. I'm just not going to run out. I saw it in 2007/2008 when Bummer was running for office, ammo was scarce and again in 2012/2013 with Sandy hook. Yeh, we have ammo now but prices really aren't the best. Just remember....2016 will be here before you know it. No telling what is going to happen if the ugly ***** runs. Just be prepared fella's is all I can say.

If she runs, we know what she'll try to do. 0bama would look like Hildabeast Lite.

Got a dumb question. Are we talking defensive ammo or practice ammo. I have about 1000 rnds of range ammo, but only about 50 (I need to get more) of defensive ammo.

Me personally, I don't store "defensive" ammo. I buy mostly military surplus, in calibers it's available. The rest is "range" ammo, mostly FMJs. Most of my training rounds are reloaded and of the cast-lead type. In the sort of SHTF-world we're all perhaps imagining, FMJs will work just fine.

I have started to see some renewed interest in this topic. Since the price is about as low as it is likely to go, how much should we stock up?

Some thoughts are:
1. How much to make it through the next shortage?
2. How much, and of what kind, to make it through a firefight? firefights?
3. How much, just because the price is good and it's a good investment.

Well, for #1 I think you should just think about how much you shoot up and go for storing that amount for a few years. #2 is really the unanswerable question, there's no way to know how much ammo you're going to need for a gunfight. Usually, you're going to want all you can get. Obviously, you're going to want to do your best to avoid gunfights being as they're bad for your health. However, what sort of enemy are you expecting? The random visitor looking for trouble, a platoon-sized gang packing heat or fighting a guerrilla war? How long do you expect to be in such circumstances? Weeks, months or years? For #3, I'd say every bit you can safely afford. Ammo is always a good investment, it has a shelf-life of many decades and can always be used to punch holes in paper or ring steel if you never find yourself on that two-way range.

That sounds reasonable and thoughtful though I would change the order. Number 3, firearms and ammo goes to the front. Like the 2a it protects the others.
As far as ammo.... If I owned any guns I would think minimum would be 3,000 rounds for each caliber especially in a SHTF scenario. You can replace box by box what you shoot at the range.
For everyday self defense carry ammo, that depends how much you practice with it. Remember in a SHTF situation range ammo is self defense ammo and less costly considering the thousands you want on hand.

Whatever the individual feels most comfortable with, CapGun. I usually tell people to start with food, water, medical & hygiene because I know how often those things are neglected in preps in favor of more weapons and ammo. It's a tough habit to break, buying more and more guns while thinking it's "prepping". Odds are, people will find themselves using much more food, water, medical & hygiene items than weapons and will probably have regretted not storing more of the former. I'm not saying that storing firearms and ammo isn't important, it's just something that doesn't have to be told to people while the other, less glorious preps, usually get forgotten.

Always an interesting question and I like to see the responses...I believe in at the very least 1000 rounds per weapon. But that's just me. I know of a friend of a friend that purchased 100K rounds of .556 a month or so ago. I can't do that. I also know of people that think anything more than a couple of boxes of bullets you are border line crazy. I purchase what I can afford and store safely and only a few know just how much. I have bought more than most possibly but I HAVE never sold anything I have purchased. I am not a hoarder or profiteer. I'm just not going to run out. I saw it in 2007/2008 when Bummer was running for office, ammo was scarce and again in 2012/2013 with Sandy hook. Yeh, we have ammo now but prices really aren't the best. Just remember....2016 will be here before you know it. No telling what is going to happen if the ugly ***** runs. Just be prepared fella's is all I can say.

I envision that regardless of who runs in 2016, the fear of any Leftist-type becoming POTUS will cause another run on ammo like we saw in '12. Buy what you can, while you can.

Lol, I thought I should been more descriptive. I have a lot of neighbors I'm friends with who are gun owners but haven't given any thought about prepping. I would supply them with what they need.

STILL not a good idea....... what happens when all they have is ammo and guns, and you have FOOD and other preps in addition to ammo and guns? Think some of them might not use that ammo on you when they are starving just because you sold it to them?.... NEVER BARTER ANYTHING THAT CAN COME BACK AT YOU FROM A DISTANCE...... because it just might.....

IM guessing the question posed has to do with one of two things... either the shortage of ammo, or some sort of inevitable Armageddon.. I belong to a gun club, a sportsman club, not a tactical, or defensive club.. been a member for 40 years. clud offers pistol , small bore, big bore, black powder, table traps, sheet, trap, 5 stand, air rifle, archery, archery field course, air gun field course. I shoot 50 round a week of my personal defense weapon and carry load, just to keep my edge.. I also do a lot of Bench gun shooting.. I buy by the brick or the case. At my range I shoot with people of similar shooting preferences so at all times we will buy in cases, and save on the deal... we have a bulletin board that changes weekly with good deals on specific ammo. The club also offers great deals on ammo ( for the day )
The answer for Armageddon would be as much as you could afford... as far as the shortage goes, you can benchmark many ammo suppliers and check weekly as they all get lots of specific ammo in ,, and it doesn't stay in stock for long... many places only offer a limited order quantity...thing are getting better... slow but sure.. most ammo manufacturers are going 24/7

IM guessing the question posed has to do with one of two things... either the shortage of ammo, or some sort of inevitable Armageddon..
Yes, a little of both, although I wouldn't call a breakdown in civil society "Amageddon." More along the lines of what Venezuala is going through right now.

I shoot 50 round a week of my personal defense weapon and carry load, just to keep my edge..
You shoot 50 a week of your defense load, not an equivalent practice load?
While that is commendable, it does seem a little on the pricy side. Do you buy that locally, or order it from a supplier?

as far as the shortage goes, you can benchmark many ammo suppliers and check weekly as they all get lots of specific ammo in ,, and it doesn't stay in stock for long... many places only offer a limited order quantity...thing are getting better... slow but sure.. most ammo manufacturers are going 24/7
Are you saying you are still experiencing supply problems where you are?
I am not seeing much supply problem, although the prices are higher than they were a few years ago.
Of course, everything is higher than a few years ago.

I feel pretty comfortable with 500 rounds of each caliber I have. Some I have more than that. If I had to bug out, I would probably barter some of my ammo, because reality is, I would not be able to carry all of it. If I stay IN, I would not barter ammo for anything.
I have enough supplies that are essential to last a good while. If truly an Armageddon type event, then all is fair.

Short answer: As much as you can reasonably afford. Shoot one buy two.

Armageddon (in the non Biblical sense) is far less likely than another long term ammo panic so prepare for that

Buy and shoot a good deal, but 1,000 rounds on stock for my standard weapons, including shot gun in various loads.

Buy and shoot a good deal, but 1,000 rounds on stock for my standard weapons, including shot gun in various loads.
I hope by that you mean 1000 rounds per type and not just 1000 rounds total.

I needed to get some more .22LR so Friday I brought home 1150 rounds of CCI Stinger, CCI Mini Mag, and Winchester Super-X HV hollow points. That should make the Kimber 1911 ARF happy a little while longer. And maybe the Chia pet 1911s too.

Billt, I love your signature line:
I Like My Firearms The Same Way Obama Likes His Voters....... Undocumented.

Here is the whole deal with all of this "How much ammo" stuff. First off let me say I keep plenty, and I'm not saying anyone else should not to do the same. But from a more practical standpoint, let's say this whole "Armageddon" thing were to play out the way people like to talk about it on forums like this one. Complete monetary collapse, power grid failure, food shortages, the whole nine yards. Now what? How the hell are you going to move all of this ammo, and just where the hell are you supposed to move it to? In all of this "survivalist talk" people right away mention "bug out bags". Having everything you require self contained, along with full tanks of fuel in your vehicles, all so you can grab it and run in a moments notice when "Armageddon" happens, and haul ass out of the city.

That means leaving the bulk of your ammo bunker for someone else to claim when your city dwelling gets overrun. And if you play out this "Armageddon" fantasy, everyone concurs that the city is the worst place to be, yet it's where most of us live. Because there aren't many places to earn a living on top of a 8,000 ft. mountain, in the middle of nowhere. Now, let's say you've got a remote cabin. Are you going to keep thousands of dollars worth of ammunition there where it can easily be burglarized by a couple of kids on ATV's when you're not there? My point is having ammo for the sole purpose of having ammo is fine. But in all reality, if society were in fact to completely melt down, it really isn't going to do you much good. In fact it would be a hindrance instead of an asset. And forget all of this, "trading bullets for silver and beans" nonsense. If things got that bad, no one is going to "trade" with you for anything. They'll simply kill you for it.

Here is the whole deal with all of this "How much ammo" stuff. First off let me say I keep plenty, and I'm not saying anyone else should not to do the same. But from a more practical standpoint, let's say this whole "Armageddon" thing were to play out the way people like to talk about it on forums like this one. Complete monetary collapse, power grid failure, food shortages, the whole nine yards. Now what? How the hell are you going to move all of this ammo, and just where the hell are you supposed to move it to? In all of this "survivalist talk" people right away mention "bug out bags". Having everything you require self contained, along with full tanks of fuel in your vehicles, all so you can grab it and run in a moments notice when "Armageddon" happens, and haul ass out of the city.

That means leaving the bulk of your ammo bunker for someone else to claim when your city dwelling gets overrun. And if you play out this "Armageddon" fantasy, everyone concurs that the city is the worst place to be, yet it's where most of us live. Because there aren't many places to earn a living on top of a 8,000 ft. mountain, in the middle of nowhere. Now, let's say you've got a remote cabin. Are you going to keep thousands of dollars worth of ammunition there where it can easily be burglarized by a couple of kids on ATV's when you're not there? My point is having ammo for the sole purpose of having ammo is fine. But in all reality, if society were in fact to completely melt down, it really isn't going to do you much good. In fact it would be a hindrance instead of an asset. And forget all of this, "trading bullets for silver and beans" nonsense. If things got that bad, no one is going to "trade" with you for anything. They'll simply kill you for it.
I'm fortunate in that even in the southernmost part of Florida, I don't live in a city. So that leaves two options depending on what the crisis is. Staying and hunkering down or bugging out. Food, there is a couple weeks worth at minimum. Water, only 4' down and on a well so not a problem. Electricity, generator with gas. Resistance to a riot, storm panels and inside lockable shutters. Most people couldn't fit thru the lower floor windows anyways and they are 7' up. Porches on second floor for returning fire from and a roof exit hatch for even more options. House itself is all reinforced concrete block and poured concrete. So staying would be an option.

All the ammo needed could be in the truck in less than 1/2 hour and the truck wouldn't even notice the load. 4000lbs of ammo is a lot of ammo. Filled tank and 100 extra gallons equals a non-stop run to Ohio if need be. I know enough back roads to avoid most major cities between the two places. Again, it depends on what the troubles are that decides the route out.

Well I don't really want to turn this into a discussion about prepping (outside of how much ammo), so even though you don't really get the mechanics of hunkering down vs bugging out, you do have a point that while on the one hand a good war readiness supply needs to be dispersed (and maybe hidden), but on the other hand, any ammo you have that is somewhere you can't get to is pretty useless to you. Again, I don't really want to turn this into a discussion of prepping and scenarios, but we could discuss whether or not to cache ammo somewhere outside of your primary dwelling (but let's not say where or how).

As someone that doesn't spend a lot of time and money at the range, like some, I keep some boxes FMJ round nose for target practice and 1 box of Hollow points for protection/carry purpose. I also have a rifle and a couple of shotguns. I have hunting ammo for them. I personally see no reason to have 100's of rounds of hollow points around the house when I hope I never need any at all. I carry all day everyday and have for years. I never have had to use my 9MM, on another human, and God willing, pray I never will. But, if needed I surely will.

As someone that doesn't spend a lot of time and money at the range, like some, I keep some boxes FMJ round nose for target practice and 1 box of Hollow points for protection/carry purpose. I also have a rifle and a couple of shotguns. I have hunting ammo for them. I personally see no reason to have 100's of rounds of hollow points around the house when I hope I never need any at all. I carry all day everyday and have for years. I never have had to use my 9MM, on another human, and God willing, pray I never will. But, if needed I surely will.
I can concur with all of those sentiments (especially praying to God that I never will have to use my weapons on another human), except that I see a day coming when the danger will be much greater than it is today.

So, you keep "some boxes" of practice ammo. Have you decided how to deal with the next ammo shortage?

I can see, but hope it doesn't happen, another ammo shortage. So, I have taken the time and money to store about two years worth of range ammo. Considering I take a different rifle out each trip, same with handguns and a shotgun, I cycle through calibers each time. One trip may be a .223, 9mm & a 12ga where as the other trip may be a 7.62x39, a .38Spl and a 20ga. I have estimated that I needed about 6K rounds in all to get me through two years of decent trigger time. If things haven't normalized after that I may be using .22lr a lot or forking over the cash for less overall training.

YMMV

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back