How much ammo should we keep on hand

Mestral

The question has come up in the past (generated 78 responses in 25 days, and that was before the most recent ammo shortage) about how much ammo a person should have on hand. As things have first gotten worse, and then better (well, at least better than they were a year ago), the subject has somewhat faded from view. But now, it is looking like things are not going to get better than they are right now, and could be a whole lot worse.

The question has met with quite a range of answers before. Everything from "if you're not drowning or on fire, you can't have too much ammo" to a slightly more normal "thinking 1,000 rounds per gun or per cal owned then buy a box shoot a box" to a recent moron saying "So you're advocating that everyone reading this article should continue to hoard and buy everything in sight, furthering the shortage that is a direct result of the behavior you advocate for? Thanks for adding fuel to the fire."

Well somewhere between the two extremes, there must be some reasonable measure that can be used. Over the past several months, I have been advising people to acquire a 3 years supply, at whatever rate they normally expect to use it for practice, hunting or whatever. I suggested this simply as a precaution to take against the next shortage, but, eventually I think that needs to be looked at with a wider perspective.

Prior to the the Sandy Hook shooting, the subsequent politically motivated attack on gun owners and the widespread response that lead to an almost yearlong gun and ammo shortage, there were two other shortage periods. One when Barrack Hussein got into office and one when the DHS decided to buy 450 Million rounds (eventually seemed to grow to over 1000 Million rounds) of ammo, to surreptitiously stockpile.

Over the course of these past few years, most of us have found workarounds to enable us to train a little more economically. This began with rifles and handguns that use 22LR ammo instead of more expensive 45, 556, or 7.62 ammo. So now (this is one of many reasons) we have a shortage of 22LR, also. We also incorporated more dry fire and more AirSoft training, which improves skills that would be difficult to practice with live ammo.

Also, we need to consider the change of social climate, and the threat that our civilization is on the brink of collapse, where we might need to defend our families and neighborhoods from roving bands of thugs, and the government might decide to curtail our ability to acquire ammo (or a war in Ukraine might make it harder to obtain). (I'll leave other possible changes in the social and political climate unsaid, but understood.)

Certain factors could make a difference. If someone is planning to attend a training class, most require you to bring 400 rounds (FrontSight requires 800). The new standard FBI course of fire is 60 rounds, so if you did that quarterly for three years, that would be 720 rounds, if you did that monthly it would be 2160 rounds. Since these things vary from person to person, I word my recommendation as "three years supply."

And that brings me back to the need to take another look at the subject.

A case or crate per gun would not be excessive. If you went to the range once a week like I did before the shortage, you could burn up 500 rounds in an evening. An hour at the maximum allowed by the range would burn up 540 rounds. 2 hours at the range at the time did burn up 750 rounds with no problem. Other than a sore shoulder from the 7.62X54R when a pad wasn't used. 5 30 round mags of 5.56X45 in 15 minutes even with the range restrictions was easy to do. 5 second rule enforced. 1/2 second per round in a handgun is easy to keep on target if your target is 8" diameter and at 25'. Full gun ( 12 rnds ) to empty in 5 seconds on a S&W 4006 as an example.

I normally reload my own center fire ammo. And the problem I've been having is finding powder and slugs that I use for reloading. I'm going to start casting my own slugs. But the powder that I use I'm still having a problem finding. But I've been seeing things getting better as far as finding ammo in stores. But I try to keep around 300 rounds per caliber that I shoot.

I normally reload my own center fire ammo. And the problem I've been having is finding powder and slugs that I use for reloading. I'm going to start casting my own slugs. But the powder that I use I'm still having a problem finding. But I've been seeing things getting better as far as finding ammo in stores. But I try to keep around 300 rounds per caliber that I shoot.
Yeah, I have heard that is a new thing with this shortage that didn't happen in previous shortage times, being low on powder. A friend of mine says he used to by powder in 8lb cans (IIRC), but now can only find 1lb cans. And also, some having a hard time keeping stocked on primers.

1,000rds of "war-stock" each caliber is a good start... Work up from there, I see no point in limiting yourself as long as you have the disposable cash and desire. 3,000, 5,000 or 10,000 rounds of a primary caliber is not unheard of... I have so called "war-stock" that is one of those 'break glass in case of emergency' things that I won't dig into until the S hits the fan or it's 50 years old. I reload most of my range ammo and usually have 4-500 of each main caliber floating around just for training, I load everything moderately to prolong brass life.

The sky is the limit!!!!!!!!!! Or, rather the ceiling.

Yeah, I have heard that is a new thing with this shortage that didn't happen in previous shortage times, being low on powder. A friend of mine says he used to by powder in 8lb cans (IIRC), but now can only find 1lb cans. And also, some having a hard time keeping stocked on primers.

Yes! The powder pickin' is slim! I've been making due though.....

1,000rds of "war-stock" each caliber is a good start... Work up from there, I see no point in limiting yourself as long as you have the disposable cash and desire. 3,000, 5,000 or 10,000 rounds of a primary caliber is not unheard of... I have so called "war-stock" that is one of those 'break glass in case of emergency' things that I won't dig into until the S hits the fan or it's 50 years old. I reload most of my range ammo and usually have 4-500 of each main caliber floating around just for training, I load everything moderately to prolong brass life.

The sky is the limit!!!!!!!!!! Or, rather the ceiling.
OK, on the war stock, how would you say to proportion it against say, stocked food items? Spend the same on each? Twice as much on food? Or twice as much on ammo?

OK, on the war stock, how would you say to proportion it against say, stocked food items? Spend the same on each? Twice as much on food? Or twice as much on ammo?

Food & water 1st, medical & hygiene 2nd, firearms & ammo 3rd and fuel 4th.

Got a dumb question. Are we talking defensive ammo or practice ammo. I have about 1000 rnds of range ammo, but only about 50 (I need to get more) of defensive ammo.

Got a dumb question. Are we talking defensive ammo or practice ammo. I have about 1000 rnds of range ammo, but only about 50 (I need to get more) of defensive ammo.
It's a good question. In general, we are talking about practice, but when we discuss a war stock, many people recommend a mix. In addition, you should be using some of your defense ammo for practice, just to make sure it feeds reliably (assuming an automatic). Right now, I would suggest buying cases of range ammo, and some boxes of defense ammo (10 to 1 ratio), but your budget may dictate differently.

I have started to see some renewed interest in this topic. Since the price is about as low as it is likely to go, how much should we stock up?

Some thoughts are:
1. How much to make it through the next shortage?
2. How much, and of what kind, to make it through a firefight? firefights?
3. How much, just because the price is good and it's a good investment.

I make it a practice to buy a box every time I go out. A box of one caliber this time, a different caliber the next time until I feel I have enough on hand. I haven't reached that point yet so I continue to buy. The two calibers I buy the most of are 9mm and .40 cal.

In a SHTF environment, range ammo will do and it beats a rock every time. Just be sure to shoot twice. I'm not knocking HP self defense ammo but range ammo goes bang too and hole is a hole.

Food & water 1st, medical & hygiene 2nd, firearms & ammo 3rd and fuel 4th.

That sounds reasonable and thoughtful though I would change the order. Number 3, firearms and ammo goes to the front. Like the 2a it protects the others.
As far as ammo.... If I owned any guns I would think minimum would be 3,000 rounds for each caliber especially in a SHTF scenario. You can replace box by box what you shoot at the range.
For everyday self defense carry ammo, that depends how much you practice with it. Remember in a SHTF situation range ammo is self defense ammo and less costly considering the thousands you want on hand.

Last edited:
My ammo supply is based on what I'll be carrying when the SHTF. I have many different calibers but I'll probably barter/sell most of them if I have to be mobile. Therefore 1000 rds each of 9mm, .22 and 7.62x39, 750 rds of .45 and 250 12 gauge. The rest of my ammo supply is at least 250 per caliber for target practice purposes or holding down the fort if I'm stationary.

These type of questions are difficult, if not impossible to put any type of accurate number on. It's like asking how much food should I have, or how much cash should I keep on hand for emergencies? There is no definitive answer. Whatever makes YOU comfortable would be a good assessment. How many guns do you have, and how much, and how often do you shoot them? For example, a lot of people own just a couple of guns, and make it to the range once a month if that. They are not going to require anywhere near the ammunition that someone who shoots a couple of times a week, and owns dozens of different caliber and gauge firearms will require.

Now that I'm retired I shoot more, and at the same time live on a fixed income. So because of that I "stockpiled" plenty of ammunition and reloading components for all of my weapons. Back when I was working I shot much less, and could afford to purchase more ammo and reloading components. So my requirements have changed. As has my "stash". Everyone is different. Yes, because of the shortages generated by communists getting into office, and several high body count school shooting over the last few years, people in general are stockpiling more. It makes them feel better. But again it all depends on the individual, where they live, along with what they themselves can afford. Those are a lot of variables that make it difficult to place any kind of accurate number on.

As this year I have some different types of guns, defensive ammo has changed. Now it includes spam cans of .30-06 along with the 7.62X54R. But it still is better than 1000 rounds per caliber or per gun depending. And have added .38 Super to the 1911s. Upgraded the mags for the MPA-10 in .45ACP and AR-15 9mm Carbine to 50 rounders too. Too bad the guns all fell overboard 12/31/2014 while out fishing. :wink:

Always an interesting question and I like to see the responses...I believe in at the very least 1000 rounds per weapon. But that's just me. I know of a friend of a friend that purchased 100K rounds of .556 a month or so ago. I can't do that. I also know of people that think anything more than a couple of boxes of bullets you are border line crazy. I purchase what I can afford and store safely and only a few know just how much. I have bought more than most possibly but I HAVE never sold anything I have purchased. I am not a hoarder or profiteer. I'm just not going to run out. I saw it in 2007/2008 when Bummer was running for office, ammo was scarce and again in 2012/2013 with Sandy hook. Yeh, we have ammo now but prices really aren't the best. Just remember....2016 will be here before you know it. No telling what is going to happen if the ugly ***** runs. Just be prepared fella's is all I can say.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back