How many spare rounds to carry?

How many spare rounds do you carry?

• Total voters
Not saying anything here BUT most of ya sound like your going into a combat zone not your local 7-11. YA'll absolutely have all the rights to and I would guess that in some parts of this country it'll look like a combat zone. But your main carry, 5 or better Mags with a BUG. REALLY????
Some could postulate that you're armed for an offensive encounter. Jus saying........

At home I have 16, in two magazines. When I go out it's 8 in one. Facing forward, of course.

Hope I never have to use them.

I carry a Ruger LCR .357 mag, with a 5-round capacity. I usually carry one HKS Speedloader, giving me 5 extra
rounds. At times, I will carry 2 Tuff Quick Strips, giving me an extra 10 rounds.

At the least, I have 22 rounds on me(One 1911 and two 7 round spare mags). Generally, I have 41(one 1911 with the two spare mags and an LCP with 2 six round spare mags), and occasionally as many as 63(two 1911's with 4 spare mags and the LCP with two spare mags).

Woody

1911 - 2 spare candy bars - 20 extra rounds
Walther - 1 spare, but I am thinking of adding the second. currently 15 extra.

These Flash Mob things and Gang type attacks are starting to concern me as they are happening all over the US.

Mappow,
If you get in a scrape and you have to run and somehow or lose drop your primary carry, you'll wish you had a BUG. Just sayin!

I've searched but couldn't find anything on this site about this topic.

The poll is designed to encompass revolvers and semi autos. So how many rounds, not how many magazines/loaders, do you carry? In your post you can describe how many magazines/speed loaders you have one your belt, what side, position, direction they are facing. Do you prefer single carriers or double carriers?

If the average gun fight is 3-5 seconds long, and around 8 rounds, what is your reason for carrying 20+ rounds?

I believe we should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. That being said I carry 1-2 13 round magazines in single carriers at my 9 oclock, and 10 oclock with bullets facing forward.

By definition, half of all gunfights are at longer distance, over longer range, and more rounds fired. Also, the statistics are skewed by cop gunfights. Cops have radios, help coming, and rarely face multiple attackers. If you are a civilian involved in a SD shooting, you will be on your own, the guys coming may not be friendly, and you are more likely to face multiple assailants. So I usually carry guns in pairs. You could have a mechanical failure, be wounded in your dominant hand, and drawing a second gun (aka New York Reload)is faster for most folks than reloading an empty one.

It depends on what I'm carrying. I switch it up between my Glock 19, 23, & 30. I've got a custom made dual mag carrier I keep in my left rear pocket with two full magazines to whichever pistol I'm carrying. If my left rear pocket bulges from the magazine carrier people assume it is my wallet.

My XD .45 came with 2 mags, I carry two mags. This means one in the gun and a back-up in the truck. I carry two 30 round mags with my AR-15.

How spare rounds do I carry?

I cary a sig P250 9mm with 15 rounds in the mag and one chambered. Usually carry one extra mag with 15 rounds. Sometimes carries 2 extra mags. I use 9mm 147 grain hollow point rounds. I like the idea of storing extra rounds in the car, for just in case.

By definition, half of all gunfights are at longer distance, over longer range, and more rounds fired. Also, the statistics are skewed by cop gunfights. Cops have radios, help coming, and rarely face multiple attackers. If you are a civilian involved in a SD shooting, you will be on your own, the guys coming may not be friendly, and you are more likely to face multiple assailants. So I usually carry guns in pairs. You could have a mechanical failure, be wounded in your dominant hand, and drawing a second gun (aka New York Reload)is faster for most folks than reloading an empty one.

Fudo said everything I was going to. If you only prepare based on the "average" statistics, you are only prepared for half of the disasters coming at you. With "Flash Mobbing," gang violence, road rage, home invasions, and a myriad of other felonious attacks that were never heard of 20 years ago, I feel that we need to be prepared for the NEXT level of violence BEFORE it arrives or if I happen to be the first person it is perpetrated upon. Therefore, I think there is enough YouTube evidence to justify just about any amount of carried ammunition to a jury of twelve.

My favorite thing to do is to pick up spare magazines at gun shows and keep 4-6 loaded 13-round spares in the truck in the center console and then 8-10 13-round loaded magazines with spare rounds in an ammo can locked in back. This is emergency backup/long-term reload for the really bad situations. But the personal loadout of choice is Browning Hi-Power loaded with 13 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hydra-Shok or Magtech Ammo and 2 double carriers worn opposite side with same magazines. I know, sounds like preparing for WW III, but if a magazine fails, or one drops out, or one has to be used as cover fire to hold everyone's head's down while moving for cover or escaping, the fact is you have options. More ammo = more options. If you can open up on a flash mob and look at the survivors, reload and then respond to the remaining members, "I can do this all day!" they may not be nearly as brave and it may actually SAVE lives.

Something to think about.

Carry two 10 rounds on clip and one 10 round loaded in my Glock 40. Rounds facing forward. I do like the idea of having a box in the glove box as well, so will begin doing that.

When I CC the firearm has 10+1, then I carry at least 2 extra mags of 17 rds each. If I'm also OCing, then the OC has 17+1, and I have 2 more mags of 15 rds each. So I have carried a total of 93 rds on me.

I carry one 13 round mag at 9 o'clock in my Leatherman nylon sheath. Having an extra mag is essential to me as any jam might require a new mag. Rarely would I Carr a second 13 round mag but I have on few occasions

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back