How many shots are nessessary

Rocketgeezer

I know that most of us members have CC permits, and most of them have to take some sort of training class, and that this subject was discussed, ...... if you are in a self defense altercation, you shoot to stop the threat to you or your familys lives not nessessaly to kill the perpetrator, what got me rethinking abut this is a local man here in town is up on charges now because he basicly unloaded his mag into a dude, it was a XD I think, the dude had 8 or 9 holes out of a 16 rd mag, the ***** is the judge said he was clearly in the right defending himself, and if there was only two or three shots involved, he most lkely would have went home instead of a ride in the police car, the case is in litigation now, hopefully none of us wont ever have to make that judgement,

perhaps the perp didn't go down till after the mag was emptied? and then only 8 or 9 rounds hit him and depending on where the perp still could have been trying to attack?
at anyrate i hope the person trying to defend himself walks as any person should who had to defend him or herself against any physical attack

If I were in one of these situations, I would shoot until the threat was neutralized. If it only takes one shot, so be it. If it takes all 17 rounds from my Ruger SR9, so be it. I would rather be alive than dead because I was worried about whether I used too many bullets.

It might be helpful if they said where the 8 or 9 bullets lodged in the victim. 8 in a limb and 1 to the thoratic cavity might tend toward one view and 9 to the brain might say something else.

For the same reason you have car, homeowners, and life insurance, just in case, Isn't it better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it?

Already said enough to stop the threat, LEO's here a couple of years ago put 20+ rounds in a guy to stop the threat.

Sounds like the judge watches too much tv, where firearms have insta-kill. Eagle eyes beings up the perfect kind of example, that officer shot well over 3 rounds to stop the threat.

It might be helpful if they said where the 8 or 9 bullets lodged in the victim . 8 in a limb and 1 to the thoratic cavity might tend toward one view and 9 to the brain might say something else.

Victim? I think you have that all backwards...the one with the extra holes was not the victim...

I'll shoot until the assailant is stopped and I'm satisfied that there is no longer a threat. There are cases where the 'bad guy' is on drugs or just really pissed and an entire magazine wouldn't stop him. It varies completely by the situation, don't think about how many bullets you're shooting, think about your degree of safety: Is the 'bad guy' still a threat?

This lady says it right, whether or not she's actually innocent of trying to kill her husband, she has a good point: "I don't know how many times I shot. I just fired. I stopped firing when I didn't feel threatened anymore."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-shoo...battered-woman/story?id=14565364#.T-SXEe24LzI

As a great America, either on here or some other forum, said; "Keep shooting until the target changes shape or catches on fire!!"

Sound about right to me.

not to be trite but i'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

But that is the point here. The possibility of being judged by those 12. How many of you have friends or family that "brag" about getting out of jury duty. Do you trust those 12... who may not have been "smart" enough to get out of jury duty to see things the way you do? There are three things that I recommend to all my students. First is get a first aid kit that can handle a GSW. Next is get the training so you can USE the First Aid kit. Finally, take a course like MOAB, so you can learn how to properly identify a threat, and explain it in an articulate manner.

To answer the original question. I would engage the threat until I was no longer in fear for my life or the life(s) of those I was trying to protect.

street survival

Street Survival taught by caliber press teaches you that DEADLY FORCE is presented on bullet one so what does it matter if you shout 1 or 100 times ?

They teach you to empty the Mag into a subject !

hi oram i agree good points but being a new student to guns, conceal carry and much of the lingo of this focus, what does

GSW and MOAB stand for?
moab=mothers of all bombs ?? lolz

Link Removed

but seriously what does moab and gsw acronym for

hi oram i agree good points but being a new student to guns, conceal carry and much of the lingo of this focus, what does GSW and MOAB stand for? moab=mothers of all bombs ?? lolz Link Removed but seriously what does moab and gsw acronym for
GSW Gun Shot Wound MOAB Correctly Massive Ordnance Air Blast slang mother of all bombs

Use sufficiient force to overcome and escalate until the threat is stopped. ie. you use a knife = I use a gun until either you drop the knife or you drop, whichever comes first.

From what I've read & learned, you should shoot until they are no longer a threat. When they stop, you stop. If they die, so be it. You have to protect yourself & your family. If you shoot after they stop, then you have become the aggressor. Check out "Collateral" with Tom Cruise & Jamie Foxx. There's a scene when Cruise shoots 2 bad guys: first guy gets two to chest, second gets two to chest, one to head. Then he shoots the first guy, already dead, in the head. At that point, Cruise became the aggressor and 'bad guy'.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back