How Many Of You Open Carry?

I have openly carried for years, and never had a problem. All but the stupidest or craziest BGs that I know head the opposite direction when they see a man with a gun. The cops don't even hassle me. Maybe it has to do with attitude. Being of Scottish descent, I used to wear a kilt a good deal of the time. Being a bonified Harley rider and in posession of the God-given right to go any place I please whether anyone else likes it or not, I've worn my kilt into some of the roughest biker bars you can imagine, and never once has anyone said a word about it. Except the girls, that is. They always want to know what a Scottsman wears under his kilt.

In the 43 years I've carried a pistol, I've never had to shoot anyone. Even when I had to pull the thing. The other guy always blinked first. It's all about being who you are, not threatening anyone, and not caring if you live or die. Some people call it honor, without which there is no purpose for living anyway. I didn't let the BGs slide; I gave them their lives back when I owned them. To this day, most would take a bullet for me if it came to that. Or maybe I'm just crazier than everyone else. Whatever.

I Open Carry, I don't concern myself with the sensitivities of the "sheeple" (I dislike that word), those sensitivities are what has brought the US to its knees in the name of political correctness. I also CC, but I firmly believe that OC is a much greater crime deterrent that CC ever will be, at least for the OC’er. For the non carrier (OC or CC) my OC just makes them more of a target because the BG, when presented with a choice of confronting a visibly armed target or visibly unarmed victim, will go for the unarmed victim 99% of the time.

I also categorically discount the anecdotal “Your OC’ing, you’re the first to be shot argument”, no one on any board I have seen has presented even one case of a citizen OC’ing being targeted. I live in a OC friendly state (Utah), but have had the pleasure of OC’ing in 5 or 6 states, mostly in the west.

Point being, we need to educate the public that the law abiding gun owner is not the problem, the problem is the career criminal, gangbangers and the like and as we know, they do not care about gun laws anyway.

What gun legislation has ever made the law abiding gun owner more law abiding.

Steve

I figure this is a good place for my first post...

Living in WI, I have no choice by to open carry. Personally, I would rather carry concealed, but gotta live within the law...

I also categorically discount the anecdotal “Your OC’ing, you’re the first to be shot argument”, no one on any board I have seen has presented even one case of a citizen OC’ing being targeted. I live in a OC friendly state (Utah), but have had the pleasure of OC’ing in 5 or 6 states, mostly in the west.

Actually, there is one case that I know of where a guy carrying OC had his gun taken off of him and shot by a "bad guy". He survived, but I'm sure it's an experience he'll never forget.

So it does happen where an OC'er will be the target of the crime, but it is so incredibly rare. That one story is countered by thousands of other stories where a BG starts to commit a crime, sees an OC'er, and literally runs away in fear of losing his own life.

I rarely OC, but recently became a convert and recommitted to ALWAYS carry EVERY step I take (except for the absolutes of going into a police station, courtroom or otherwise restricted area).

A month or so ago, I was hunting over in central Montana and needed to range a shot on a prarie dog out across a pasture. I took a few steps out there when my son commented that I should take a handgun in case I walked up on a dog or rabbit that I could take with it at close range. I returned and picked up a 9 and a spare mag then walked out for him to lase me with the rangefinder.

Now I will freely admit that I'm a southern boy, more used to conditions over that way rather than out here. As I strolled along, watching where I put my feet to avoid holes it dawned on me that this weird sort of rattling sound was one I had heard in movies dozens of times (Thank you, Hollywood! Who says movies and TV rot your mind?). When I tuned in and froze, I immediately put my hand on my 9 and began scanning for the threat. At about 11 o'clock, 9 to 10 feet away was your basic rattler, coiled and ready to strike. I thought for a moment about retreating and freely concede I could have backed off. Then again, we were on the rancher's land to get rid of varmints and snakes like this one were definitely a nuisance. Also, I was in a field full of prarie dogs and their holes, not a place to break a leg while backing away and watching a pissed-off snake.

As the adrenaline hit me, I stepped back and went into a firing stance (modified Weaver). Then the fun began.

Guys, when the adrenaline hits, a firetruck could drive up next to you and you can not hear it. Sighting on a spitting, weaving , brownish, black and tan snake against a backdrop of brown and green scrub is a b****. I started firing and realized that it was going to be a lot more difficult than in the movies. (Here you go, have fun but please be gentle with me.)

18 shots and one engaged, non-retention reload later, it was flopping around with its head partially severed from its body. Later survey revealed 4 apparent hits. Dust was flying everywhere (kicked up by the shots) and I backed almost a full pace away during the reload. We took 8 full-size rattles off him and measured him at 42" length and roughly 7 and a half in circumfrence.

What I learned. NEVER take a step without a gun on my belt. Always carry an extra mag (or six). Shoot until the threat is eliminated. When the action starts you will go into auto response mode and it is extremely difficult to register anything outside the threat field (although I dimly heard the others in my party shouting when they saw the snake through binoculars - I did register that they were coming up from my left rear quarter). Stay cool and assess your situation and limitations as well as you can. Note: I have/had no idea what the striking distance of a coiled 42" rattler is or how fast they can move when they are motivated and attacking so I did what I seemed like the best tactical response. Backing off a bit more before engaging would have had me backing up in a field of prarie dog holes with an angry poisonous snake in front of me.

Anyway. This was my first live fire, adrenaline pumping situation and, say what you will, I survived without injury. I think I stopped short of panic fire and at one point I was thinking that the dirt flying was obscuring my aim but also probably wasn't helping the snake either.

Oh, the 9 I had picked up was my first carry piece, a Sigma 9VE that I had handed to my son for his gear bag as we left the lodge that day. My .40 was in my gear bag on my shooting bench. The gun was perfect and the reload went like clockwork. Training and practice were critical to my comfort, stance and reload.

In the future, one of my buddies suggested we spend some range time shooting at a water hose with spraying water in the 10 to 18 foot zone.

Okay, have at it.

"Cowboy" Ed

Actually, there is one case that I know of where a guy carrying OC had his gun taken off of him and shot by a "bad guy". He survived, but I'm sure it's an experience he'll never forget.

So it does happen where an OC'er will be the target of the crime, but it is so incredibly rare. That one story is countered by thousands of other stories where a BG starts to commit a crime, sees an OC'er, and literally runs away in fear of losing his own life.

Hi Rayaven, would CC made any difference in the example you cite?

Steve

Steve

Not sure on the exact circumstance however if the gun was taken off the belt then I'd say yes. There is also the scary notion that even if EVERYTHING is done tactically right in a gun battle by you, you may still die. That is regardless of OC and CC.

I prefer open carry most people don't seem to notice or care if I have firearm on me. Don't care about the bleating of sheeple. I need no permission or reason to exercise my rights as a freeman. I am not really convinced of the concealed advantage ( I do have a License to conceal ).

Steve

From what I understand, the BG completely blindsided the OC'er and just walked up to him and then quickly disarmed and shot him. I don't think they ever caught the shooter, so no motive was given.

If the OC'er was CC'ing, chances are the BG would never have known that his intended victim was armed.

But in all reality, anyone going after a visible weapon like that either is absolutely insane or has a pair that clang when he walks. This was the only example I could find of something like that happening.

So if it happens one time out of the thousands of people who OC regularly, I'll take my chances.

I have been open carrying for a while now and only been kicked out of one store and will never set foot in until they change their minds and policy.

I live in a small town in AZ, have OCd for years, and never had a problem. Just the opposite: on the few occassions I've left my pistol in the car or at home, people have asked me where it was and why I wasn't carrying it. The closest I've come to being "challenged" about it has been a few people asking why I carry it, to which I reply, "Because I can." This has led to some lively conversations about the 2A, and pretty much everyone who asked agreed with me by the time the conversation was finished. The AZ Legislature even passed, and the Governor signed, a bill making it legal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, as long as you are not drinking. However, the law says if a business has a "No Guns" policy, you have to obey it. As for bars, I don't think I would care to drink in a room full of strangers all packing while they get intoxicated. Guns and alcohol don't mix. Thank you, and keep your powder dry.

KBV

+1 for AZ laws and another +1 for the Phoenix PD support of the OC protesters at the Townhall location.

I think if minimal people opened carry it would be weird, but if we can get it as a norm again, I don't think you will need to worry about somebody knowing you carry. Most people will and hence, fewer reasons to conceal carry. as far as tactical advantage, hide a derringer up your sleeve. (jk)

I have not OC but it is legal in MI. I don't own a holster that will work for OC.

I also don't OC: I don't even own a gun, largely since I don't want to carry openly. As I've stated, I can't carry because I have PTSD; it doesn't make me an increased threat to myself or others, but the state decided to discriminate on the basis of medieval stigmas, in order to get the CCW law passed, selling out the self-defense rights of people who need it most-- as well a violating the US Constitution.

The only time I OC is when I'm outside working in the yard, pasture, dog lot etc. at the house. I'd rather people not know I have my gun on me. I CC ALL the time. I do however OC my knife with me everywhere.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I started this thread almost two years ago and I'm happy to see that it's still going strong! I have yet to carry since I was shot and robbed of the only handgun I owned (a Glock 22) back in January, but as soon as I'm able to purchase another one, I'll be back to carrying concealed like I always did when off duty.

NC OCer

I OC almost everywhere I may go. No bad experiences on my end...yet. I've only had the question asked by some, "why do you have a gun", and the negative debates with some friends that don't like guns at all...I never knew how hard it was to debate with a closed mind. I'm currently waiting to take my CCW class this month.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back