How Many Of You Open Carry?

I open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where I don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, I exposed myself and I must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since! :kiss3:

I open carry because:

#1 The "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 Public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an American citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 It's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If I get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.

I open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where I don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, I exposed myself and I must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since! :kiss3:

I open carry because:

#1 The "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 Public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an American citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 It's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If I get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.

Great post!

I open carry because:

Here, here. MFs better know.

I open carry because:

+1 on your #1, #2, & #3 !!!

i open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where i don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, i exposed myself and i must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since! :kiss3:

I open carry because:

#1 the "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an american citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 it's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If i get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.

+1000000000
was on a local TV news story obout Open carry this saturday.A group of us had an open carry meetup,& had the news come out & do a story on it.

Last edited:
+1000000000
was on a local TV news story obout Open carry this saturday.A group of us had an open carry meetup,& had the news come out & do a story on it.

When it airs, put it on youtube and share with the rest of us. Would love to see the story!

I would be afraid to open carry in ohio. If I saw a cop looking at me with a pistol exposed my first instinct would be to run.I guess it's been ingrained in my mind that having a gun in public is only for police. I'm sure it would deter someone from attacking you but I've never seen anyone here carry. if I was sure I wouldn't be stopped by police every 5 minutes I'd probably try it just to get comfortable with the fact that I CAN carry legally. I haven't got my CCW permit yet but I'm sure gonna be nervous carrying even with it concealed.

I think as long as you dress like a responsible citizen and not a gangbanger, most people just assume you're an off-duty or plain clothes LEO. Those that are curious will usually ask. I agree with all three points and will add that if a BG thinks you are a LEO he will probably think twice about throwing some trouble your way.

I would be afraid to open carry in ohio. If I saw a cop looking at me with a pistol exposed my first instinct would be to run.I guess it's been ingrained in my mind that having a gun in public is only for police. I'm sure it would deter someone from attacking you but I've never seen anyone here carry. if I was sure I wouldn't be stopped by police every 5 minutes I'd probably try it just to get comfortable with the fact that I CAN carry legally. I haven't got my CCW permit yet but I'm sure gonna be nervous carrying even with it concealed.

Dressed like your avatar, I would probably be nervous too! :ph34r:

Why not both oc and cc?

In Nevada at least, and in some other states, and if you have the proper permit, and it's allowed by law, I see no reason not to do both! If someone ever tried to take my open carry they would be in for a BIG surprise to find that my bug also came along for the ride. Can't be too careful now, can we, especially as defenseless as I feel lately! My foot is really the prettiest shade of blue :haha: and it's twice it's normal size! *sigh*

In Nevada at least, and in some other states, and if you have the proper permit, and it's allowed by law, I see no reason not to do both! If someone ever tried to take my open carry they would be in for a BIG surprise to find that my bug also came along for the ride. Can't be too careful now, can we, especially as defenseless as I feel lately! My foot is really the prettiest shade of blue :haha: and it's twice it's normal size! *sigh*

Loosen up that ankle holster and that goes away!

Loosen up that ankle holster and that goes away!

Now that's funny! Why didn't I think of that? :haha:
My boo boo toes, my foot is the same color. I'll have to remember to tell everyone that I tripped on my ankle holster! :haha:
Link Removed

Last edited:
Joking aside, have you had your blood sugar level tested lately?

Nah, I just tripped over a curb and the sidewalk got up-close and friendly with my foot. ER Doc on Saturday said it's sprained. Doctor w/ second opinion today said it's broke. It may be that I'm getting a cast the first of the week. No diabetes in me, but thanks for the concern.

Freedom of choice.

I open carry.

And I have concealed carry with a license.

There are appropriate occasions for both kinds of carry.

But for the record, I do not believe that there is anything 'tactical' about a hidden weapon. The weapon must be displayed in order to be effective and drawing from concealment is not an action you can execute with both speed and reflex. While some here would say I should be fitted with a "Shoot Me First" t-shirt, I believe gun owners should be the visiable deterent if they so choose.

I like GDCleanFun's idea. Open carry, but keep your concealed BUG too.

I feel that if people are exposed to normal people walking around with guns, then they will be more used to the idea that they're not just for cops and bad guys. Somedays I strap my Dirty Harry Gun on my side and walk around all day with it displayed proudly. Some people give me dirty looks, and some look at it and smile, or ask me about it.
If half the town had guns on thier sides, the criminals would probably think twice about living in that town anymore. Why not be a role model...try to start the next fashion trend. :biggrin:

Fashion Trend

I like GDCleanFun's idea. Open carry, but keep your concealed BUG too.

I feel that if people are exposed to normal people walking around with guns, then they will be more used to the idea that they're not just for cops and bad guys. Somedays I strap my Dirty Harry Gun on my side and walk around all day with it displayed proudly. Some people give me dirty looks, and some look at it and smile, or ask me about it.
If half the town had guns on thier sides, the criminals would probably think twice about living in that town anymore. Why not be a role model...try to start the next fashion trend. :biggrin:

Does the gun/holster combo have to complement the belt and shoes?

Since we are talking fashion :)

Tan leather holster and a stainless automatic goes with pretty much anything, right?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back