How Many Of You Open Carry?

In Minnesota the law is a permit to carry, doesn't matter open or concealed but almost all who have permits carry concealed.

Since I haven't gotten a wardrobe yet that is "extra grande" in the waist for IWB, I sometimes carry my Stoeger OWB, usually covered by a jacket or sweatshirt. As it gets warmer, that will become an untucked shirt. I'll carry open if it suits me at the time, I really don't have strong feelings either way.

Interestingly enough, next door in Wisconsin open carry is legal as long as you aren't in a motor vehicle, but you can't carry concealed.

OC v. CC

I'm a concealed carry certification instructor for multiple states and lifelong firearms owner. I normally carry concealed in most circumstances. However, from time-to-time I open carry. In all the years I've been carrying I've only had one person ever make a comment about it. Normally most people just don't notice. The one person who did make a comment did so more out of a desire to understand than to criticize - and I took the occasion to be a 2nd Amendment Goodwill Ambassador.

On those occasions when I do open carry, I go to a little extra effort to dress nicely (i.e. business casual) and I'm polite and friendly. If I'm open carrying, I might have a coffee in my strong-side hand or my car keys or maybe a water bottle so as to lower the 'concern' of those who might encounter a "man with a g.g..g..gg....g....ggg...gg..g.g...gun".

Here in Nevada, open carry is legal but you don't see it as much as you might in say Arizona for example. However most LEOs here are very professional and as long as you have your documentation in order, they aren't a problem. I've had a couple of friendly conversations with officers and we ended up 'talking shop' about firearms, nearby outdoor ranges, IDPA, USPSA etc.

I believe that if more people exercised their right to carry it would be less of a big deal to others who don't. I do encourage all firearms owners to be Second Amendment Goodwill Ambassadors and when carrying, whether open or concealed, to conduct themselves in a way that will make people who don't carry less fearful of those of us who do so.

Jan L from Western New York

Hello All,

I'm new to this group but as an ex-police officer, I always carry concealed. Never give the "bad guy" the
advantage. The only time I open carry is for hunting purposes.

i open carry in the summer because i carry a large gun. any other time i conceal it. when criminals see your gun, they tend to shy away, just be aware of your surroundings and proficient with your firearm.

I plan to open carry more often as the weather improves - usually I now open carry in the car which is considered open carry in SD -

Being a retired LEO I really don't think open carry does anyone justice. I would never want a bad guy to know that I was carrying, and in certain areas you would become a target just to get your gun. I understand and believe in the 2nd amendment, but I don't understand making yourself a target.
I carry all the time, but the only time I carry open is camping.
Remember I went through the academy a long time ago, but you were taught "Every one know who you are when your in uniform, but you have no idea who they are"
Well that just my thoughts in this matter:hang3:

I generally carry open only when I'm headed to the range. I have to take my mag out before I enter any range that is currently open. Other than that, always concealed.

Being a retired LEO I really don't think open carry does anyone justice. I would never want a bad guy to know that I was carrying, and in certain areas you would become a target just to get your gun. I understand and believe in the 2nd amendment, but I don't understand making yourself a target.

I open carry specifically for the purpose of making myself a target, just not for the "bad guys". I want people to see that I'm carrying and that I'm not a LEO. The reasoning for this is that just about every single mention of the word "gun" in the media is associated with murder or attempted murder; all negative. When I OC, I go out of my way to be extra polite and friendly. I view myself as an ambassador to the rest of us who carry.

I've had encounters with other citizens who were very obviously afraid of the fact that I was carrying, and they were relaxed by the time the encounter was over. I'm just tired of the word "gun" being equated with "criminal", and that's why I carry openly.

So to me, and everyone has to make their own decisions on the matter, a person who OC's does everyone justice since it opens up the possibility in others' eyes that a man with a gun does not mean they are about to be shot.

But be smart about it... There is no chance in hell that I would ever carry openly in, say, most parts of Philadelphia thanks to a high rate of crime. I always CC in Philly, and almost always OC in the 'burbs.

I was in NoVa the other weekend and decided to "Open Carry" to see how it was. No big deal a couple of stares, that's about it. Personally, I don't care for all the attention, but when I went to restaurants like Ruby Tuesdays & Hooters, I had to open carry for my meal, Virginias' law.

We can't open carry here in Florida, and I am not sure allowing it would be such a good thing. I wonder how many business would start posting their stores "off limits" just to satisfy those customers who complain about" all the people carrying guns!" The path of least resistance will be the guidelines for these owners, because it will be easier to seem to please the vocal ones than to stand behind the law. Right now, it is OK with them if they don't have to face the issue, just ignore the fact the some customers "might" be CC, but if we force the issue, you can bet what their response will be....up will go the signs!

Now we will be worse off as far as protecting ourselves in parking lots, late a night for example. So be sure what you wish for...you just might get it.

We can't open carry here in Florida, and I am not sure allowing it would be such a good thing. I wonder how many business would start posting their stores "off limits" just to satisfy those customers who complain about" all the people carrying guns!" The path of least resistance will be the guidelines for these owners, because it will be easier to seem to please the vocal ones than to stand behind the laws. Right now, it is OK with them if they don't have to face the issue, just ignore the fact the some customers "might" be CC, but if we force the issue, you can bet what their response will be....up will go the signs!

Now we will be worse off as far as protecting ourselves in parking lots, late at night for example. So be sure what you wish for...you just might get it.

If open carry were to be legalized in FL, I for one will continue to CC.

We can't open carry here in Florida, and I am not sure allowing it would be such a good thing. I wonder how many business would start posting their stores "off limits" just to satisfy those customers who complain about" all the people carrying guns!" The path of least resistance will be the guidelines for these owners, because it will be easier to seem to please the vocal ones than to stand behind the laws. Right now, it is OK with them if they don't have to face the issue, just ignore the fact the some customers "might" be CC, but if we force the issue, you can bet what their response will be....up will go the signs!

Now we will be worse off as far as protecting ourselves in parking lots, late at night for example. So be sure what you wish for...you just might get it.

If open carry were to be legalized in FL, I for one will continue to CC.
We have OC and CC in Michigan. And while some people have expressed their ignorance of the law, most don't seem to really care. In fact, when I walk around with my pistol carried in the open, I hardly ever get a comment, except for a few "nice piece" comments.

I carry all the time, but the only time I carry open is camping.
Remember I went through the academy a long time ago, but you were taught "Every one know who you are when your in uniform, but you have no idea who they are"
Well that just my thoughts in this matter:hang3:

I used to have the same feelings about OC. After hearing points of view on boths sides, and doing some research on my own, I've found that it's more dangerous for me to wear the many t shirts, caps, etc that I get from LE conferences than it is for me to OC. Where legal, I OC, and where CC is my only option, I'll CC. I have gotten some interesting looks while I OC, but never had any problems. I've even had the opportunity to educate members of the general public on the legality of OC. Weather one chooses to OC or CC, I feel it's a personal decision and respect those who carry either way. In some places OC is the only legal option to carry.

IMHO, OC can be a useful tool in educating the public and expanding our rights as citizens who would like to excercise our rights granted under the 2nd amendment. I like to mention that I've never seen a BG OC in a holster. :wink:

gf

I wonder how many business would start posting their stores "off limits" just to satisfy those customers who complain about" all the people carrying guns!"

Well, since it hasn't happened in Seattle, arguably one of the most pussified liberal cities in the Northwest, I'm going to say your theory is unsound. Not one single business has banned firearms carry, even the ones we visit often.

We can't open carry here in Florida, and I am not sure allowing it would be such a good thing. I wonder how many business would start posting their stores "off limits" just to satisfy those customers who complain about" all the people carrying guns!" The path of least resistance will be the guidelines for these owners, because it will be easier to seem to please the vocal ones than to stand behind the laws.

I was essentially asked to leave a restaurant about a month ago because my visible firearm made a customer uncomfortable that customer called the cops. The next day I dropped off a letter at the restaurant explaining my reasons for open carrying. It was less than 15 minutes after I dropped the letter off that the management of the restaurant called me back, apologizing profusely for the incident the night before.

They told me they had nothing to do with the police encounter, they did not want me to leave. They said me, my family, my friends and our firearms were welcome back and they fully support our rights to carry. We've given them a lot of business in the past month because of that. It works both ways.

I also wrote a letter to the local police department explaining that removing a customer from a private business without that businesses approval was a violation of Washington state's coercion and trespassing laws, among other violations.

I carry a full size SIG 226, and actually don't think its that hard to conceal either. I ONLY open carry it on my own property. Being that I live on a 200+ acre farm, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't OC anywhere else though.

I was essentially asked to leave a restaurant about a month ago because my visible firearm made a customer uncomfortable that customer called the cops. The next day I dropped off a letter at the restaurant explaining my reasons for open carrying. It was less than 15 minutes after I dropped the letter off that the management of the restaurant called me back, apologizing profusely for the incident the night before.

They told me they had nothing to do with the police encounter, they did not want me to leave. They said me, my family, my friends and our firearms were welcome back and they fully support our rights to carry. We've given them a lot of business in the past month because of that. It works both ways.

I also wrote a letter to the local police department explaining that removing a customer from a private business without that businesses approval was a violation of Washington state's coercion and trespassing laws, among other violations.

Do I smell a civil rights violation??? :fie:

gf

I have carried both ways OC and CC and I agree with most of the posts to this thread, it is what ever makes you feel comfortable. to me it depends on the situation as to whether I OC or CC.

To Be Open or not to be Open, That is the question!

I have carried a sidearm for years in the line of my profession. Even though I have qualified and carried a sidearm. I just recently after over 40 years decided to purchase my first personally owned sidearm. I do not have a CCW, yet. But I do intend on getting one. My take on Open Carry is this; it's a choice. I have seen a few who carry in public but whether or not one openly displays their piece is a matter of choice. I am like others and I would prefer that nobody know I have a sidearm openly. I think it is a double edged sword to openly carry vs. concealed carry. Openly to me says I'm bragging that I have a handgun; it's a statement. While it will scare the begeebers out of honest folk and some not so honest ones. The hardened or desperate person will look at a open carry as an opportunity to score on your piece. I think that is why I prefer the concealed. Nothing reavealed leaves em guessing and doesn't invite temptation. I certainly don't ever want to be a in a situation where I am wrestling for possession of my own handgun. Someone is going to get shot and it might not necessarily be the bad guy. Inflicting a gunshot wound on an unarmed citizen only invites an unarmed law suit. I am sure the legal side of the house would say something like; "if you didn't have the sidearm showing then my client would not have been tempted to try to take it from you and hence not get shot in the process". Open carry for me, nah. I think I will wait until I get my CCW license so I am more in control of the situation and won't have to worry about why I carry. After all it is for last case defense only isn't it?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back