How hard to get CCW in Denver, Boulder, or Fort Collins?

krinkle

Hello folks,

Fantastic site! I currently live in Southern California and as I'm sure most here know it's nearly impossible to get a CCW here. I am planning on moving to CO late next year for many reasons, but I figured now would be a good time to start looking in to what it takes to get a CCW in CO.

My city choices, as stated in the subject line, are Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins. Honestly Fort Collins is a bit of stretch. Denver and Boulder are more realistic for work reasons. I've done some web searching, but seemed to find old information. Is it still nearly impossible to get a CCW if you live in Denver or Boulder? If so are there better choices of cities to live that aren't too far from these cities which might make it easier. I will most likely make a similar post in the AZ forum for the Flagstaff area, but AZ is lower on my list.

Thanks for a great site!

Last edited:
Not hard at all. Colorado is a “shall issue” state which means that you can not be turned down provided you meet the state mandated requirements. Unlike California, the issuing department does NOT have any discretionary decision making authority in the matter. Of course, in some counties it will be processed more quickly than in others.

You might also want to check out Link Removed.

Good luck on your move.

I figured now would be a good time to start looking in to what it takes to get a CCW in CO.

Go to Link Removed and search for Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-203, which contains the requirements to get a CO permit. Also you will find links there to many other firearms-related state laws.

Major differences between CO and CA firearms laws:
(a) vehicle carry of loaded handgun for self-defense is legal anywhere in CO without a permit,
(b) as tcotariu wrote, CCW permit is "shall-issue" in CO if you are qualified per CRS 18-12-203,
(c) open carry of loaded handgun is prohibited in Denver, legal everywhere else in CO, no permit required.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the CCW page for City and County of Broomfield. Each county will have its own form, but the requirements are the same statewide.

Link Removed

Basically you need to have a clean record (no felony convictions and no history of domestic violence) and have proof of competency with a pistol.

Below is an excerpt from the information packet.

APPLICATION AND TRAINING CRITERIA
The application packet is to be read thoroughly and the application printed or typed and
completed in full. Upon completion, the application is to be delivered to the Broomfield Police
Department. The applicant must reside, maintain a secondary residence or own or leases real
property used by the applicant in a business, or have a previously issued permit from the
Broomfield Police Department. Only an original application will be accepted.
The applicant must meet the following criteria:
•Is a legal resident of the State of Colorado. A person, who is a member of the Armed
Forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation
in this state, and a member of the person’s immediate family living in Colorado, shall be
deemed to be a legal resident of the State of Colorado.
•Is twenty-one years of age or older or is at least 18 years of age if seeking a temporary,
emergency permit.
•Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to section 18-12-108 or Federal Law.
•Has not been convicted of perjury under section 18-8-503, in relation to information
provided or deliberately omitted on a permit application.
•Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages to the extent that the
applicant’s normal faculties are impaired.
•Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance as defined in section 18-
18-102(5). Whether an applicant is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled
substance shall be determined as provided in Federal Law and Regulations.
•Is not subject to:
1. a restraining order issued pursuant to section 18-1-1001 or section 19-2-707,
C.R.S. that is in effect at the time the application is submitted,
2. a permanent restraining order issued pursuant to Article 14 of Title 13, C.R.S., or
3. a temporary restraining order issued pursuant to Article 14 of Title 13, C.R.S. that
is in effect at the time the application is submitted.
•Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting one or the following:
1. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting
competitions or current military service, or
2. evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified
instructor, or
3. proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces
within the three years preceding submittal of the application, or
4. proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces
that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal
of the application, or
5. a training certificate from a “handgun training class” (see definitions) obtained
within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall
submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the
original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from
a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which
handgun training class to complete.

You guys and this site are awesome!

Thanks for the info. This is what I needed. Again much thanks and awesome site!

My links page has some helpful info including a link to all of the county sheriff's offices. You can even down load your CCW application from most of the sheriff's pages: Link Removed

Link Removed. LOL!

Enjoy,
Dennis

Last edited:
I think if you know how to take a test at the end of your CCW class, the hard part is waiting for it for 30-90 days.:dirol:
Boulder and denver have to issue it. And respect it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back