How do you handle it??

2beararms

I bought my new LCP (see separate thread) from a Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor which lead to a very interesting dicussion. I was showing him one of my front pocket holsters (I almost aways pocket carry because of the casual dress and I like tucked shirts). He liked the holster but said he prefers belt carry because it is too hard to get at the weapon seated in a vehicle with it in the pocket. He said he always just wears a "cover" shirt.

I noted that my problem is if I have on a belt holster with a shirt (tucked or untucked) or coat over it, the seat belt holds the shirt over the weapon making it harder to get at than in my pocket. (I am right handed) and that I can get my pocket weapon out faster than I can get my seat belt off and then draw.

His response was he does not wear his seat belt for just that reason.

That would make sense, but I am not LE so I am always going to be going AWAY from the danger not toward it if I can so I figure my odds of dying in an auto accident from not wearing my seat belt are astronomically better than of being in a gun attack in my car.

How do you deal with the seat belt over your coat and gun and blocking your draw issue?

I bought my new LCP (see separate thread) from a Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor which lead to a very interesting dicussion. I was showing him one of my front pocket holsters (I almost aways pocket carry because of the casual dress and I like tucked shirts). He liked the holster but said he prefers belt carry because it is too hard to get at the weapon seated in a vehicle with it in the pocket. He said he always just wears a "cover" shirt.

I noted that my problem is if I have on a belt holster with a shirt (tucked or untucked) or coat over it, the seat belt holds the shirt over the weapon making it harder to get at than in my pocket. (I am right handed) and that I can get my pocket weapon out faster than I can get my seat belt off and then draw.

His response was he does not wear his seat belt for just that reason.

That would make sense, but I am not LE so I am always going to be going AWAY from the danger not toward it if I can so I figure my odds of dying in an auto accident from not wearing my seat belt are astronomically better than of being in a gun attack in my car.

How do you deal with the seat belt over your coat and gun and blocking your draw issue?

I adjust my seat belt so that it fits properly, yet doesn't interfere with my draw. I also position my holster so that it's comfortable when seated. Of course a BUG or 2 doesn't hurt. ;-)

I strongly recommend against not wearing your seat belt. Not only is it illegal in most states, but as you mentioned, it's more likely that you'll be involved in a car wreck than you would in a SD shooting incident.

gf

You could un-holster while in the car. You could even go so far as to attach some sort of holster under the dash. Fobus makes some cool hardware for mounting one of their roto-holsters.

I agree that one can simply move the gun, or carry a second.

In fact, I just recently got a new car (2009 Hyundai Sonata) which has a GREAT storage space in the center console below the radio. It is a big, box type area with a push to open, push to close cover that flips up. I have figured out how to rig the cover so it has a hidden blocking device that when not activated and you try to push the cover, it will just seem like a fixed plate. (well call that "locked") Released, it will work normally.

In Florida a gun only needs to be in a closed area, not a locked one.

With just some double sided industrial strength Velcro on the side walls it will soon be equipped with a holster on one side designed to hold either the Kel-Tec P-3AT or the Ruger LCP (I will have one of each once the Kel-Tec gets back from repair), a "holster" (made from a cell phone case) on the other side holds a Kimber "guardian angle" pepper blaster (which is a really cool unit), and in the middle can go a flashlight, knife or other stuff as needed.

Sort of a Bond like weapons center.

I hard mounted a holster to the right of my seat. Sticking it in the console is fine unless there is an accident in which case it might end up anywhere in your car. The cover you talked about 2bear sounds ok. Only issue i have with my own solution is that if I have to dismount ASAP, I need to unbuckle, grab pistol and get out.......

+1

Agreed. When in a vehicle I WILL buckle up because the ticket for driving without a seat belt would be annoying and costly, and because the way morons drive around here, my odds of needing that seat belt are good.

However, I also haul my carry gun differently in the car. Either center console, under my right thigh or somewhere accessible that isn't restricted by seat belts, pockets, the car itself etc etc.

Lots of options in car-holstering too, for the concerned motorist who lives on the road.

As a former LEO, I had to laugh at the recommendation to break the law to accommodate concealed carry. Cops are notoriously bad drivers. Speeding, no signals, talking on cell phones etc etc etc... all the stuff that would get the average Joe stopped - they master. But that's a story for another thread.

You could carry that LCP just about anywhere while driving - play around and find a great spot you can access with either hand, while driving or stopped at an intersection etc.

Thank you all for some great reading. I have never honestly thought about if my seat belt was impeding my fire arm, as honestly, I don't think it does. Then again, I drive an F250 with space in my truck seat to move around. As for the seat belt, I am an EMT and having seen some accidents where the patient was not wearing their seat belt, would rather have the bruises and cuts than being dead or in a coma. I will most definitely check out where my seat belt lies when I get in the truck today.

I also find that wearing the gun in a crossdraw setup makes it much easier to draw while sitting. I may even try carrying my G30 crossdraw all the time. Just haven't found a crossdraw holster I really like.

I also find that wearing the gun in a crossdraw setup makes it much easier to draw while sitting. I may even try carrying my G30 crossdraw all the time. Just haven't found a crossdraw holster I really like.

I EDC an M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster. The only carry mode where I find the SmartCarry ineffective is driving. I added the universal Clipdraw to my M&P so that I can carry IWB at 10:00 for a cross draw while carrying. I like this carry position as it has easy access in the seated position, does not have to cross the driving wheel while engaging via the drivers window and keeps it away from passenger hands whether child, friendly adult or adult of unknown reliability.

The universal model has the additional advantage of permitting the user to place it on the gun for best advantage to him. For me, I position it so that it is balanced to point the muzzle toward the center of the earth. This minimized movement by using center of gravity to advantage. Second, I position it so that the trigger guard is covered by my belt. The thickness of my pants plus the thickness of my belt provides as much or more protection from activating the trigger as any other non-plastic holster.

If I wanted to guild the Lilly, I could even exchange my 10 round magazine with the 14-round magazine that I carry as a spare in the SmartCarry holster. I don't, but I could. If I did, I probably would want to adjust the position of the clip to adjust for the change of center of gravity.

When I shoot a competition using my Blade-Tech IDPA compliant OWB holster, I have to remove the part of the clip that screws into the part that is bonded to the gun.

I wouldn't worry about the adhesive giving way as, I believe it is the same that helps hold some airplanes together. Yet is easy to remove by pealing so it can be moved or removed. I have had this installed in the same position for over 10 months and have removed the top half of the clip on numerous occasions without any indication that the bond was not still secure.

One last benefit to both the SmartCarry and the Universal ClipDraw is that I can carry with the Procyon weapon light attached.

MP45FS-Procyon-Side.jpg

I had to laugh reading your post Howard, somehow picturing in my mind the thought in someones mind as they are approaching the car and I am trying to get my weapon out of a smart-carry in the drivers seat.

That alone may make them decide to go away!

A lot of different, good advice here and I at one time or another I have done a number of them. One thing that is not an option for me is the not wearing a seat belt and not just for fear of a ticket. I worked years ago for several years in a major trauma center and have seen first hand what can happen to someone who is involved in a wreck and not wearing a seat belt.

If you're a betting man who knows how to play the odds then you would wear your seatbelt in case of an accident instead of not wearing it in case of road rage. It's not that difficult to make one motion of unfastening the seatbelt as you draw. Now, if you want to be completely anal then don't wear your seatbelt and drive with one hand while you hold your firearm in the other. :no:

If you're a betting man who knows how to play the odds then you would wear your seatbelt in case of an accident instead of not wearing it in case of road rage. It's not that difficult to make one motion of unfastening the seatbelt as you draw. Now, if you want to be completely anal then don't wear your seatbelt and drive with one hand while you hold your firearm in the other. :no:

+1. Situational awareness is also key. If "things" are "developing" around you or your internal alarm is sounding, unclick the dang seatbelt.

I keep another gun in the center console in a holster I mounted inside it on the driver's side. Spare speed loaders (4 of them, 2 loaded with self defense ammo, 1 with snake shot and a 4th with lead flat point reloads) sit in the shelf on the passenger side.

With the gun butt forward, I can either Twist draw it right handed or reach across left handed.

I've never had a problem positioning my holster so that it is accessible while wearing a seatbelt. This is true for both my Kholster and my Serpa, and in any vehicle. I may need to slide it forward a little bit so that the butt of the gun isn't pressing hard into the seat back. Beyond that, the buckle and belt typically ride right under and forward of the gun.

As for cover garments being trapped by the seatbelt, I just make sure that doesn't happen. I usually pull my shirt or coat up and behind the grip so that the gun is visible before I buckle up. Even though the gun is exposed, it is very difficult to see, even for someone standing right outside the passengers window. If I do leave it covered, I still make sure that the cover garment and seatbelt aren't preventing access to the gun.

I use a DM Bullard crossdraw for my J frame S&W (actually, I always have it in the crossdraw because I don't want to have remember which side it is on if needed). No problems with the crossdraw s far as access, no seatbelt issues, no worrying about leaving a gun in a car, somebody accessing it, or having it flying around loose in the vehicle if an event should occur.

I use a DM Bullard crossdraw for my J frame S&W (actually, I always have it in the crossdraw because I don't want to have remember which side it is on if needed). No problems with the crossdraw s far as access, no seatbelt issues, no worrying about leaving a gun in a car, somebody accessing it, or having it flying around loose in the vehicle if an event should occur.

another advantage to the cross draw is you can pull out your weapon fairly easy both with your strong hand as well your off hand. Not so from a holster on you strong side.

Always with the wisdom JJ.
I carry shoulder if I'm on long drives, SOB for not so long drives. Seeings I'm right handed I have not problems. Summer months, in the console.

TWO ROUND BURSTS - EVALUATE- SECOND TWO ROUND BURST IF APPLICABLE

Or you could get a NULL VAM ( Vampire ) crossdraw driving holster and cover all bases. Works for me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back