How do you handle it??

...As for cover garments being trapped by the seatbelt, I just make sure that doesn't happen. I usually pull my shirt or coat up and behind the grip so that the gun is visible before I buckle up. Even though the gun is exposed, it is very difficult to see, even for someone standing right outside the passengers window. If I do leave it covered, I still make sure that the cover garment and seatbelt aren't preventing access to the gun.

I do the same, whenever I'm carrying on my belt. I keep my coat unfastened and positioned so it isn't pinned to my body by the seatbelt, and all other clothing clear of the weapon. I sometimes drive through very high crime neighborhoods, due to the nature of my job, and occasionally steer with my left hand while my right rests on my gun butt.

I mounted a .50 cal on the hood of my truck so I don't have to worry about stuff like this. Actually, I carry SOB, and keep another gun in my truck. Between the driver's seat and the middle seat/console, I put a piece of wood that is cut in a sort of V shape. I keep a gun between the two seats, with barely the handle sticking out. The wood keeps it from sliding down under the seats, and I push it down all the way when I get to wherever I'm going, or I put it in the lock box that has a cable lock on the seat bracket.

I've never had a problem positioning my holster so that it is accessible while wearing a seatbelt. This is true for both my Kholster and my Serpa, and in any vehicle. I may need to slide it forward a little bit so that the butt of the gun isn't pressing hard into the seat back. Beyond that, the buckle and belt typically ride right under and forward of the gun.

As for cover garments being trapped by the seatbelt, I just make sure that doesn't happen. I usually pull my shirt or coat up and behind the grip so that the gun is visible before I buckle up. Even though the gun is exposed, it is very difficult to see, even for someone standing right outside the passengers window. If I do leave it covered, I still make sure that the cover garment and seatbelt aren't preventing access to the gun.

My thoughts exactly. I may slide the holster a bit so it's not directly under the belt, but that's about it.

I don't always pull the shirt or coat up, but I do make sure it's free from under the seat belt. Then it's just a matter of miving it aside like I would if I was standing.

Don't make it harder than it has to be.:biggrin:

I will. I've been traveling lately, and I don't have my truck. My wife drives it a lot more than I do because I go further. When I get back home this week I'll get some to you.

I also carry in a pocket holster and love it. It is always in the same place whatever I wear (making practice consistant) and easily accessible, except sitting in a car. I want my seatbelt fastenecd. It is much more likely you will get hurt with an unfastened seatbelt than not having your piece readily available. I have been in more than one car accident in my life and no gunfights. I do carry a pistol in an ankle rig as backup and found it is easlily accessible while seating in a car with the seatbelt fastened. Ohter options are car holsters that strap around the seat, holiding the pistol vertically against the front of the seat between you legs. This requires you move the pistol from you pocket to the seat holster and vice versa, before entering and existing the car. You can also get a safe packer rig that you can attach to your seatbelt, see link. You can either transfer the pistol from it to your person when you exit the car or just take the whole rig with you. I like the safe packer when hiking (for defense against dangerous animals) as I can carry a much larger gun than what would go in my pocket.

Link Removed

Some men learn by reading, a few by experience, and the rest have to piss on the electric fence and find out for themselves. Will Rogers

I have 3 handguns that I use for CC. A Ruger LCP w/Crimson Trace Laser in a Nemesis pocket holster. A Ruger SP 101, 2 1/4 inch barrel in .357 mag. in a Galco OWB holster and a Kimber SS Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP in a Galco OWB holster. Carrying in the holster inside my little Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup truck makes accessing any of these handguns difficult. What I do instead of carrying my weapon in a holster inside my vehicle is I tuck whichever handgun I'm carrying under my right thigh. Easy and fast access as well as secured from loosing my weapon by the weight of my body. I've only had to pull my handgun once while carrying it under my right thigh and was very glad to not have to fumble with trying to draw from a holster. I used to carry inside my truck with my handgun inside a soft-shelled zippered pistol case on the seat next to me but stopped doing that because if I was involved in an accident there's no telling where my handgun would end up. When I get out of my truck I just reholster my handgun. I live in Louisiana where it's legal to carry a handgun with or without a permit anyplace inside one's vehicle. As soon as one exits their vehicle one would need a CCW permit unless they are open carrying.

You could un-holster while in the car. You could even go so far as to attach some sort of holster under the dash. Fobus makes some cool hardware for mounting one of their roto-holsters.

Got a unkle mikes velcroed to the side of the consol, for just this purpose

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back