How Do You Feel About Notifying LEO That You're Carrying

Here in Oklahoma it is the law to notify. I will certainly comply with the law. As a firefighter, I work hand in hand with LEO's on many situations. I would have to say that 90% are decent human beings just trying to do their job and make it back home to their families. I enjoy having the right to carry, and don't want to cause a situation that would compromise that right. Bottom line.....do the right thing, obey the law.

I have no idea if i would inform the officer right away when pulled over. I haven't had to make that decision yet. I would probably get out my permit when i got my license out before he even go to my car, but not sure if i would hand it to him right off the bat or not. That being said, if asked to get out of the vehicle, i would inform him at that point before setting foot out of the car. If i'm in the car seated he is not going to notice it and over react. The second i stand up, that may be a possibility, and i would tell him before he got the chance to find it on his own.

Politely informing LEO that you are armed, and letting him/her know the exact location of the weapon is the best way to avoid a "dramatic over reaction" on the part of the officer.
...unless you're dealing with the Canton, Ohio PD. In THAT case he'll PREVENT you from notifying, THEN threaten to murder you, THEN arrest you for not doing what he prevented you from doing.

Notification serves no good purpose at all. The recent despicable acts of Officer Harless of the Canton PD will hopefully be the stake through the heart of mandatory notification in Ohio.

I saw that video of the Canton OH fiasco. The officer definitely was WRONG in the way he acted, and I can't say that strongly enough.

That being said, there is not a doubt it my mind that there was ample opportunity at numerous times for the driver to inform either the officer searching the car, or the officer out of the car.

In NC it is the LAW to inform the nice LEO that you have a permit and are carrying.

I have only had one occasion to have to do it once since I got my permit and the acknowledgement set off a minor panic "reaction" in the Officer who stopped me. (His "back up", whom the first Officer called in to assist, was much more "cool" about it.)

You don't inform.... you can lose your permit. End of story. No sence letting the Government "beat us up" concering our "Rights" more than absolutely necessary.

Clue: Our "permits" and Drivers License have the same number. You know damn well they are linked at DMV!

GG

I am so happy I don't live in a must tell state no need to spook a person taught that everyone tryin to kill him

That was my Ohio Peace Officers training

in texas its required, but i believe they changed the law to this???? not sure, but id inform anyways, u know a cop has a gun and the last thing id want to do is be patted down then meet the ground or my car or his muzzle cause it spooked him or whatever cause he didnt know i had it. so id inform not only cause i have to, but might as well keep it calm, and civil to start with. i have cops in the family so i highly respect their thankless job and will do whatever i can to keep my end of the situation calm and respectful.

In Texas, don't they know before they get out of their car? I've never had to tell a LEO before (I haven't been stopped since I got mine 12 yrs ago). I guess I should know this.

It is the law in Nebraska, and I have no problem with it. For my part, I have never been pulled over by an LEO unless I broke the law (and don't get me started about what I think of speeding laws). And the few times that I have had encounters with LEOs that I initiated, they seemed happy that the first thing that I told them was that I was legally armed. It should be obvious from some of my posts on this forum that I am anything other than pro-LEO. I personally have no use for the police and find them more of a nuisance than any real benefit. However, they are out there and I do have to deal with them. And, I fully realize that these people, regardless of what I may think of their profession, spend a good deal of their time dealing with the scum of society - the same people that we have armed ourselves against. The first thing that telling the LEO that I have a CCW does is tell them that I have passed a rigid background check and have a clean criminal record (at least in this state). He is dealing with a Citizen and NOT the scum that he usually has to deal with. In my area, I have found that LEOs react very well to this. Even the one "bad" encounter that my son had with an LEO that disarmed him during a traffic stop ended well when the officer profusely apologized to him and openly admitted that he had never seen the State CCW license before and thought that my son was carrying concealed with the City OC License which is illegal. Even in spite of the misunderstanding, the officer treated him well and even told him after he disarmed him to just remain by the vehicle and he would call his Sergent and see if he had made a mistake. Obviously, that is NOT the way it was done in Ohio.

As an aside, I spend a lot of time watching "Cops" on TV, particularly when nothing else is on. One thing that both my wife and I have noticed is that the biggest a**holes seem to be from Ohio and New Jersey, and they don't even seem to mind that they are being filmed at it. I often wonder if that is just the way they are there, or if it is a reflection of what they have to deal with during the course of their jobs.

It is the law in Nebraska, and I have no problem with it.
Mandatory notification is an utterly pointless exercise.

1. It creates a false sense of security in some cops who SHOULD assume that ANYONE could be armed and dangerous.
  2. It focuses on those who allegedly AREN'T a threat to the exclusion of those who could be.
  3. It does NOTHING to prevent ANYONE from shooting a cop, licensee or otherwise.
  4. It is an open invitation to abuse, as has happened several times here in Ohio.

Mandatory notification (at least in Ohio) needs to go away YESTERDAY.

in texas its required, but i believe they changed the law to this???? not sure, but id inform anyways, u know a cop has a gun and the last thing id want to do is be patted down then meet the ground or my car or his muzzle cause it spooked him or whatever cause he didnt know i had it. so id inform not only cause i have to, but might as well keep it calm, and civil to start with. i have cops in the family so i highly respect their thankless job and will do whatever i can to keep my end of the situation calm and respectful.

My thoughts exactlly, Better safe than sorry. I'm Watchin. ______,,;0;,,______

Say you don't inform until he asks, do you think its okay for a police officer to treat you differently after he found out you legally obtained a firearm and legally can carry it?

Say you don't inform until he asks, do you think its okay for a police officer to treat you differently after he found out you legally obtained a firearm and legally can carry it?
It's okay for him to act within the confines of the law.

I don't need for cops to like me. Them obeying the law is more than enough.

Deanimator:219969 said:
It's okay for him to act within the confines of the law.

I don't need for cops to like me. Them obeying the law is more than enough.

officers better act within the law or they should not be officers. I was asking this question towards those that think informing the officer is good whether or not it is required because they don't want the officer to get worked up.

officers better act within the law or they should not be officers. I was asking this question towards those that think informing the officer is good whether or not it is required because they don't want the officer to get worked up.
If a cop gets "worked up" by LAWFUL activity, he needs to find another field of endeavor.

Notification of Carry

You need to jump on line and revisit that. Nevada DOES in fact require that you notify them. They usually know when they pull you over.

Before I started carrying full time, I was asked a couple of times (at traffic stops) if I was carrying.

I've had my Nevada, Utah and Florida licenses for close to nine years now but really started carrying full time about 4-years ago; after my 84-year old next door neighbor was home invaded and a month or so later, an officer was shot in my backyard (his partner shot and killed the perp and the officer ended up fine after nearly dieing from a shot to the femoral artery).

If you've got nothing to hide, there's no reason not to tell them.

kimberscp45:219983 said:
You need to jump on line and revisit that. Nevada DOES in fact require that you notify them. They usually know when they pull you over.

Before I started carrying full time, I was asked a couple of times (at traffic stops) if I was carrying.

I've had my Nevada, Utah and Florida licenses for close to nine years now but really started carrying full time about 4-years ago; after my 84-year old next door neighbor was home invaded and a month or so later, an officer was shot in my backyard (his partner shot and killed the perp and the officer ended up fine after nearly dieing from a shot to the femoral artery).

If you've got nothing to hide, there's no reason not to tell them.

Only ten states require you to notify the officer. Washington is not one of those. Do you believe your 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment rights are as important as your 2nd?

I have nothing to hide and they have no right to ask me if I've been stopped for doing nothing illegal.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back