How do you feel about a 21 year old carrying?

I don't drink, so instead of going to the bars for a drink at 21, I applied for my license instead. So needless to say, a 21 year old is totally fine carrying.

I recently turned 21, and I did the exact same thing. I agree with everyone who has stated it depends on the person and their maturity level. I've come across some friends and family that support it, and some friends and family that don't. Ultimately, the people who support me in obtaining a ccw and choosing a handgun (I'm still in that process, I've decided I need to take some extra time to go through training and try many many guns before making a decision) are the ones that know me best. The people who aren't in support of it almost always know very little about guns or gun safety, and would be against it regardless of age.

I'm young, I carry, and I'm probably more responsible than a lot of older people who carry.
Your IQ and your maturity level do not automatically increase with age. Hate to say it, but getting older doesn't always mean you're getting smarter.

"Replicants are like any other machine. If they work fine they are not my problem." Bladerunner

How do I feel about it? Uneasy as I do about most very young drivers because a good many have absolutely no comprehension that both statistically and realistically driving is the most dangerous thing they will likely ever do in their lives.

BUT! How I FEEL about it does not matter - if they do it well enough and cause no harm it is their right to do so and I support that. If not, they should loose the right (as would an older person). Hence the quote. ;-)

I'm young, I carry, and I'm probably more responsible than a lot of older people who carry.
Your IQ and your maturity level do not automatically increase with age. Hate to say it, but getting older doesn't always mean you're getting smarter.
I can't help but reply to this crap...you are young. One day you will get old too and will change your opinion on many things. Does that mean you have grown smarter? Heck no! Depends on your definition of "smart" and "maturity".

Please...I know a lot of people in my lifetime so far whose IQ and maturity level changed from when they were 3 up to present. Growing up depends on how you were raised in the first place. Sometimes childishness is not a disease -- it is refreshing. I advised my children a long time ago not to lose their freedom and fun in living their lives. Smart? Yes -- they may be. Or they wouldn't be earning 6 figures at this stage of their lives. Smarta**? Sometimes they are too -- but not to me or they will have to exchange their face to a chimpanzee. And they know this too -- for as long back as they can remember.

Focus is the crucial thing in many things we do and decide for ourselves. Without it, we make mistakes. As people get old, sometimes their focus becomes affected by what we eat and our environment. So please do not blame old people and their "maturity level" as you call it. Without us mature people in this world, you wouldn't be here to continue our work. It is our experience from which you are now drawing from and taking advantage of whether you admit this or not.

Excuse me...but I will tell you right now -- I will remember your handle and not deal with you after this.

I can't help but reply to this crap...you are young. One day you will get old too and will change your opinion on many things. Does that mean you have grown smarter? Heck no! Depends on your definition of "smart" and "maturity".

Please...I know a lot of people in my lifetime so far whose IQ and maturity level changed from when they were 3 up to present. Growing up depends on how you were raised in the first place. Sometimes childishness is not a disease -- it is refreshing. I advised my children a long time ago not to lose their freedom and fun in living their lives. Smart? Yes -- they may be. Or they wouldn't be earning 6 figures at this stage of their lives. Smarta**? Sometimes they are too -- but not to me or they will have to exchange their face to a chimpanzee. And they know this too -- for as long back as they can remember.

Focus is the crucial thing in many things we do and decide for ourselves. Without it, we make mistakes. As people get old, sometimes their focus becomes affected by what we eat and our environment. So please do not blame old people and their "maturity level" as you call it. Without us mature people in this world, you wouldn't be here to continue our work. It is our experience from which you are now drawing from and taking advantage of whether you admit this or not.

Excuse me...but I will tell you right now -- I will remember your handle and not deal with you after this.
Mom, I heard my wife tell someone the other day that I was 20 with 33 years experience. You advised your kids right. Have fun every day you can. Life life to its fullest and never let your freedoms be taken. My dad passed away late last year in his eighties. He was a naval officer from WWII. One of the best things a person can do is talk with that generation. They've lived through problems that we can't imagine. I live by a code my father taught me and draw from his experiences in getting through this world. Without him I probably would not have made it to where I am today.

You either didnt read my post or you just cant seem to understand it. Old people are not smarter, more knowledgeable, and more responsible than younger people simply because of their age. I cant believe you took the time to type a nonsensical ramble about how people change as they get old assuming thats what you tried to spit out. People may change as they age, but that doesnt mean they get smarter.
Ill remember your "handle" and not deal with your crap after this.

You either didnt read my post or you just cant seem to understand it. Old people are not smarter, more knowledgeable, and more responsible than younger people simply because of their age. I cant believe you took the time to type a nonsensical ramble about how people change as they get old assuming thats what you tried to spit out. People may change as they age, but that doesnt mean they get smarter.
Ill remember your "handle" and not deal with your crap after this.

Err, no, not all people get smarter with age, some never do. But as life goes along you make experiences and you learn and that makes most people smarter as they get older. I know young people hate this because they feel young and invincible and yadayada and are generally just very full of themselves. So for compromises' sake let's call it getting wiser with age.

By 21 I'd figured out drinking wasn't all that great, and hangovers sucked. My big thing at 21 was my concealed carry license. I've been carrying ever since, and I'm presently 57.

A responsible citizen should be armed. Arbitrary ages don't mean a lot. Some are responsible at 12, some totally irresponsible at 60.

I'm not big on disarming entire demographic groups because of the bad behavior of some within those groups. But if there's one group that truly SHOULD be disarmed, because it represents the single deadliest threat to human life and its abuses and atrocies are beyond number, that group is Government.

As for the rest of us: CARRY -- on....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back