How do you carry?

johnsonabq

What is your preferred method to carry? Ankle holster, IWB, Shoulder holster, etc. I'm taking my CCW class in 5 weeks and will apply the next day. I'm 5'10" medium build and leaning towards the ankle holster. Need input... Thanks!

FYI... I now have a Glock 27 .40 S&W and a Taurus 606 2" .357 but may go with a Kahr or Kimber .45 ACP at a later date when I can afford it.

I carry IWB with nylon holster. Right now during the week going and coming from work I'm using a DeSantis "pocket" holster (outside pocket) in my jacket. When I'm in the mood to OCW I have my Fobus for my HiPoint C9.
For your class, I believe You need an OCW holster, right? I don't think They will allow You to do any course using an Ankle holster (can someone confirm on that one please?). At first NO, any classes/course after that MAYBE. Down the line You are going to be buying different ones for different guns, weather, where You're going; clothing You're going to be wearing, etc.
Good luck with your Class and don't be shy on taking anymore (classes/courses)! Oh, and WELCOME to the forum.

Last edited:
I carry IWB with nylon holster. Right now during the week going and coming from work I'm using a DeSantis "pocket" holster (outside pocket) in my jacket. When I'm in the mood to OCW I have my Fobus for my HiPoint C9.
For your class, I believe You need an OCW holster, right? I don't think They will allow You to do any course using an Ankle holster (can someone confirm on that one please?). At first NO, any classes/course after that MAYBE. Down the line You are going to be buying different ones for different guns, weather, where You're going; clothing You're going to be wearing, etc.
Good luck with your Class and don't be shy on taking anymore (classes/courses)! Oh, and WELCOME to the forum.

What does OCW mean? You didn't really mean OWB, did you?

Duuuuuh, I think I had in my head OCW- Open Carry Wasteband for whatever THAT means. Funny thing, now that You mention it, I may have used the same thing in another posting/s on here somewhere!!:rolleyes:
Don't mind me, I'm still learning my alphabet (did I spell it right??). :secret: (j/k)

Most of the time i carry my glock 23C or beretta px4 sc in a IWB at 4 oclock with an unbuttoned overshirt. If im not gonna be sitting around too much i carry the glock in a IWB on my front waist, this method only requires a t-shirt to be completely concealed. If im driving or gonna be sitting for any amount of time i prefer my shoulder rig with the glock.
I would also not recommend an ankle holster for your primary, if you need it quick youll never get to it, plus their not all the stable, not to mention your gun will be closer to dirt and grime.

I have a friend that has a smart carry, he loves it he carries a Kimber 45. I use a crossbreed super tuck and carry a glock 27 and carry at about 4 o'clock strong side. With or with out my shirt tucked in I get little to no printing, most printing happens when I bend way over and even then you would really have to be looking to tell.

Yeah do not carry your Main gun in a ankle holster. As you will have to stop walking bend down and draw it. Carry your BUG in that kind of set up. (BUG.. Back Up Gun).

I just worry about comfort. Thought ankle carry would be more comfortable than IWB. I have a fanny pack for the Glock but wonder how many people know it for what it is. I know some do. If I'm not comfortabe I won't carry. How 'bout more info on the crossbreed. How many of you use it?

Last edited:
I need to have a snap / positive retention device by policy (LEO Agency).

I like the Safariland holsters, in plastic. They make a great open top holster that locks on the ejector port, and the release is actuated by your thumb from a natural draw position. Can't think of the name of the holster right now, but it looks like a 'retentionless' system as the release is well concealed. People stare when I carry open, because I carry in condition-1. Safariland makes a rock and draw that grabs the ejection port, but I prefer the thumb release with a straight-up draw. The holster is cant adjustable.

The holster doesn't conceal as well, but it allows a positive straight up draw and there are no snags or drags. I am fairly confident the gun will stay put if I roll around on the ground with a LE-hater (occupational hazard). When I speed draw, the safety naturally comes off based on where my thumb hits the safety, immediately after the release mechanism during a fast draw.

I give this Safariland holster 4 stars.

Last edited:
I use a CrossBreed Supertuck. I used a SmartCarry before I got the CrossBreed.

IWB all day every day in a summer special. I would much rather do OWB but IWB meets my needs better with the big 45's

I only use Link Removed as I have for many years when I worked alot of UC work when I was in law enforcement. I have used everything from 1911's, Glocks to Revolvers and wear this T-shirt Daily. I'm getting ready to purchase a black one after all these years wearing a white one. These are great in the summer as they wick the moisture from your back etc.

When you guys go IWB, how much larger does the waist of your jeans need to be?

If you normally wear a 36 waist, I would wear one size up. Now this of course depend on your handgun and it's width and size. Try with an IWB first in your normal cloths and then upsize accordingly.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back