How do you carry?

Concealment vs. Accessibility

I carry strongside/close with either a snug paddle or pancake holster (my preference). Sig P229 in .40 or Sig GSR 1911 .45.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, I'd encourage you AWAY from an ankle rig - especially for your primary or only firearm. Not only is your ankle not easily accessible (unless you're already crawling or lacing your shoe when the threat presents itself), but for general movement pursposes. Even the smallest of handguns has a weight and displacement to them that, when strapped to a typically "thin" limb like most ankles, will create a wobble and bounce that is not only uncomfortable, but tactically unsafe should you find yourself running for better position/cover.

Also, from my previous LEO days, I used to carry off duty with a sweet waist-band rig that made my off duty handgun completely disappear, and was relatively comfortable, with the gun being well above my waist. The "down side" of that method of concealed carry, much like other "thunderwear" or other "extremely concealed" methods of carry is accessibility. Even with practice, it was very challenging to access, draw and present my off duty rig from the super-concealed waist-band rig I used to carry. When split seconds, or split fractions of seconds really count, I would still be lifting, pulling and digging to even access such a well concealed gun.

Food for thought.

I just worry about comfort. Thought ankle carry would be more comfortable than IWB. I have a fanny pack for the Glock but wonder how many people know it for what it is. I know some do. If I'm not comfortabe I won't carry. How 'bout more info on the crossbreed. How many of you use it?

Link Removed

Crossbreed/tucker type deal. Less money same stuff.

Im not into the fanny pack or smart carry but if it works for someone then whatever as long as they carry.

Ive got 2 holsters coming from www.sideguardholsters.com

One is a Snap and one is a Slide. The Slide is being made so I can have clips on it to wear OWB or IWB. They should arrive in maybe two more weeks.

Kel Tec P11 is the EDC.

When you guys go IWB, how much larger does the waist of your jeans need to be?

I usually wear 1 size larger. It all depends on the holster rig and the gun. I'm usually carrying a G23 at 11 o'clock IWB and a G27 at 6 o'clock SOB. I use a Fobus Kydex holster for the G23 and a Milt Sparks rig for the G27.

gf

What about the Smart Carry system? Also called Thunderware I think.

I purchased these systems and also one called Lightningwear... and I found some really good things about them and some that I thought could use some improvement. First of all I really like the carry position... I know kinda strange at first... but most concealed holster are...I think. I believe what you carry has a big influence and how you can carry it... and my personal choice is 1911... and even then there are many different sizes, from full size to Micros... single stack to double... how does one find a holster that works with every type and every type of apparel... almost impossible... and holster makers know and love this... I have yet to meet a gun nut that doesn't have a dresser full of holsters... there is no perfect holster for every gun, person, or situation... so to each his own. Ive come up with a holster that I've design and build that works for me, apparently works for a few of my friends... so with some encouragement from them, I decided to enter the holster market with a holster called the PHANTOM... (wife chose the name)... oh no... not another one. Well yes... is this going to make me rich and famous... if you think so, you probably voted for the "O" In a nutshell I used the criteria that was important to me... 1. Comfort.. whether hot or cold, 2. No print, 3. Safe and easy access, 4. gun protection, 5. can be worn with clothes that I choose and like with the least amount of sacrifice, 6. Low maintenance. So that's it... here is a pic... with my primary carry (Condition 1) Dan Wesson CCO = officer frame/commander slide. I do alternate with a Kahr MK40. Please feel free to PM me if you have any interest, questions, or comment positive or negative... don't worry, I'm too old to worry about what people think. The material is quite "high tech" and construction is first class... I believe the material is what sets my holster apart from others... it breathes.
th_P1000638Small.jpg

I carry strongside/close with either a snug paddle or pancake holster (my preference). Sig P229 in .40 or Sig GSR 1911 .45.

When split seconds, or split fractions of seconds really count, I would still be lifting, pulling and digging to even access such a well concealed gun.

Food for thought.

It seems to me that any concealment system makes the above situation quite challenging. Where should we compromise?:no:

Normally either IWB, OWB, or in a pocket, depending on what I'm carrying and what I'm wearing. For IWB, I use a Don Hume PCCH for the 1911's or Hi-Powers (same holster works for either quite well). For every thing else, I use a Don Hume 715. For OWB ('on the hip'), I prefer the Bob Mernickle PS-6 for a 1911. For my Tomcat, I use a Don Hume JIT Slide and for wheelguns, I use some pancakes holsters that were made by a local leather worker for me years ago (they are very similar to the El Paso Saddlery pancake design). For in the pocket carry, I had the same local leather worker make a rough out pocket holster for both my Tomcat and a little .32ACP derringer.

I don't own a ankle holster because I don't sit for a living. The only time an ankle holster is handy is when you are supine or seated. Try to surreptitiously draw from an ankle rig while standing. Can't be done. You either have to kneel or hop on one foot. Your ankle is a LONG way from your hand if you are standing- too far, in my opinion, to be useful for everyday concealed carry in my circumstances.

The tricks to IWB carry is to buy your pants a little big and have a belt that is built to carry the weight of a gun. The nice belt you bought at Macy's ain't gonna cut it. Before you know it, it will stretch a little or start rolling away from your body at the top and it'll be worthless to you. The belt has to pull the holster and gun (especially the butt) snug to your body. Department store belts won't do it. When I buy a set of holsters/mag pouches, I go ahead and spring for a matching belt, too. I've got a Don Hume belt that has been used for daily carry for over a decade and is still going strong.

What is your preferred method to carry? Ankle holster, IWB, Shoulder holster, etc. I'm taking my CCW class in 5 weeks and will apply the next day. I'm 5'10" medium build and leaning towards the ankle holster. Need input... Thanks!

FYI... I now have a Glock 27 .40 S&W and a Taurus 606 2" .357 but may go with a Kahr or Kimber .45 ACP at a later date when I can afford it.
Depends...winter I carry OWB; summer depends on what I am wearing...jeans, IWB;dress, thigh carry.

K L Null Nulvam (vampire) crossdraw driving holster most of the time. ( S&W M 60.357) Totally conceals under any loose T-shirt. Driving, sitting, walking, bending, jogging, great positioning and comfort. High quality horsehide.

I carry a Taurus 9MM PT-111 ina Bianco side holster under my shirt/jacket in the winter. I hide it under a vest in milder temps and I carry a fanny pack in the hot summer months when it is not practical to carry on my side.
I never leave home without it.

OWB in cold weather like everyone else but, and I'm sure plenty will nay say about this, but in summer I just slip my H&K usp 9mm compact in-between my belt and my shorts with no holster and drape a t shirt over it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back