How do you carry when backpacking?

Two ways. First was a holster sewn (by me) onto the packs shoulder strap. This was open carry but by throwing a shirt over the shoulder and securing it so it would not fall off and expose the gun, it became concealed carry. The second is the pack (Jan Sport) also had a hip support and I attatched the holster to the belt or the metal sides. Firefighterchen is 100% correct about the speed of animals. I saw a video of a bobcat and a rattlesnake fight. The bobcat easily won. A mountain lion is capable of taking down large elk many times its size. A cat will go for your neck so IF your pack is high enough to protect your neck from the rear you MIGHT have a chance. In this situation seconds do not count, mili-seconds do. As far as a Grizzly bear goes, seeing my wife mad works, but failing that a 375 H H magnum works extreamely well.

I don't know where you live or where you hike, so don't take this offensively, but that is not close to the worst case scenario out in the woods. Humans are fast...animals are faster. Worse case scenario is your dead before you know it...close second is the cat is biting your reactive arm by the time you can draw your firearm.

Chen, I never take offense at a chance to learn! I should've been more clear, as I was referring to when I am in camp, at trail heads, or parts of the trail that are likely to encounter other hikers, rangers, and those that might take offense. as the human element thins, I carry a regular holster (OWB/IWB) to move the gun from cover as the animal element becomes more of a threat than that of a human taking offense.

I was only surprised by a ranger one time while open carrying deep in the woods and he asked if I had a carry permit for the gun. I replied that I was OC and it was on my belt in an OWB holster, but the Ranger pointed out that my shirt tail had partially covered the top of the holster. I pulled my Buck Knife, sliced off the shirt tail, offered it to the Ranger and said, "Will that solve our problem?" We both laughed, he told me to be safe and we went our separate ways.

I try to not get in arguments with people about whether I should have a gun in this beautiful forest or not, mainly because there is never enough time to make my point and I will just get frustrated without changing their mind at all, so I prefer to cover up close to people and then OC when the "whine factor" drops.

Is she really that bad --???
I don't know if humor fits within the thread, but when I read these, I thought of a joke I saw recently ...

A big game hunter went on a safari with his wife and mother-in-law.

One morning, while still deep in the jungle, the hunter's wife awakened to find her mother gone.

She woke her husband, and they both set off in search of the old woman.

In a clearing not far from the camp, they came upon a chilling sight.

The mother-in-law was standing face to face with a ferocious lion.

"What are we going to do?" his horrified wife asked.

"Nothing," her husband replied, "The lion got himself into this mess, let him get himself out of it."

Chen, I never take offense at a chance to learn! I should've been more clear, as I was referring to when I am in camp, at trail heads, or parts of the trail that are likely to encounter other hikers, rangers, and those that might take offense. as the human element thins, I carry a regular holster (OWB/IWB) to move the gun from cover as the animal element becomes more of a threat than that of a human taking offense.

I was only surprised by a ranger one time while open carrying deep in the woods and he asked if I had a carry permit for the gun. I replied that I was OC and it was on my belt in an OWB holster, but the Ranger pointed out that my shirt tail had partially covered the top of the holster. I pulled my Buck Knife, sliced off the shirt tail, offered it to the Ranger and said, "Will that solve our problem?" We both laughed, he told me to be safe and we went our separate ways.

I try to not get in arguments with people about whether I should have a gun in this beautiful forest or not, mainly because there is never enough time to make my point and I will just get frustrated without changing their mind at all, so I prefer to cover up close to people and then OC when the "whine factor" drops.

Thanks for the clarification. :) The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I'm all about the whiners! I have a whole box of tissues for them!

In Eugene alone, there were two cougar attacks (one hiking, one on a mountain bike) on a hiking trail within a half mile of the trail head (within a mile of the city limits). I'm afraid trailheads, higher traffic, and camp sites are getting increasingly dangerous as we expand even further into the woods.

Thanks for the clarification. :) The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying. I'm all about the whiners! I have a whole box of tissues for them!

In Eugene alone, there were two cougar attacks (one hiking, one on a mountain bike) on a hiking trail within a half mile of the trail head (within a mile of the city limits). I'm afraid trailheads, higher traffic, and camp sites are getting increasingly dangerous as we expand even further into the woods.

Wow, good to know! I might have to adjust my carry policy and just start dealing with the enviro-nazis. I guess I could always tell them I promise I won't use it to protect them should they be attacked...

TekGreg:230308 said:

Wow, good to know! I might have to adjust my carry policy and just start dealing with the enviro-nazis. I guess I could always tell them I promise I won't use it to protect them should they be attacked...

Lol priceless! Candid camera moment.

Is she really that bad --???
If I had to face several thugs in a dark alley, she would be my best friend. Seriously though she is a decent shot and the very first time I took her rifle shooting she within 45 minutes had shot more than 250 rounds through my 10-22. I then showed her how to hold and shoot my Ruger model 77 in 458 magnum. The first shot was a powered down 350 grain softpoint(my reload) and the shot was an 2 inches from bullseye. The second was a fullpower 500 grain solid good for elephant, rino, cape buffalo, or any mechanical device, and it was a bullseye! Remember almost 75 pounds of recoil. No brusing, and she wanted to fire more! Damn, she was a better shot with that cannon than me.

Oh Santa.....if Mrs. Claus reads your post, there will be no Christmas this year!!!:hang3:

Great ideas and thoughts presented here. For concealed carry, I think my Ribz front pack RIBZ Front Pack - Backpacking Gear, Survival Gear Equipment, Fishing and Hunting Vest, Backcountry Snowboarding, Hiking Pack! is still about the best concealed method for me so far, and for open carry, I will definitely give the thigh holster an honest workout, as it keeps the gun out of the way of all the straps and crap associated with and hanging from a backpack. For ease of carrying I much prefer open carry (especially when horseback)on my belt, but the backpack doesn't allow that. I wouldn't want this post to end up closing this great discussion, just putting up some more of my thoughts.

I have two methods.

Yesterday I OC'd in a Blackhawk! Serpa in Montana. I also have a Maxpedition Gearslinger with an integral holster for CC.

I'm with the majority here in saying there's a lot of good discussion on this topic here, and all much appreciated. I also do a lot of hiking, backpacking, camping and kayaking in the Southeast, mainly in NC, but the surrounding states as well. My main concerns tend to be the occasional bear, which to date have not been a problem, but don't want to be unready should they change their mind. Have had the experience of encountering weird and/or confrontational two legged critters in the wild, which is good to know you are not without the appropriate force should it be needed. So far, these confrontations have not led to violence, so I've been fortunate.

I'd have to say the best holster I have is actually the poly for my Beretta Px4 9mm, but I really don't feel this particular weapon is enough protection for the woods. So I have a 2" barrel Taurus .357 Magnum that I carry in a fanny pack with the web belt/plastic clip, so I can still have it on if I drop the pack. Also sits well on my hip inside my kayak without fear of wedging in case of a wet exit, or I can just put it in my day hatch for long distance paddles.

I've made a recent addition of a Ruger GP100 (also .357 Magnum) w/ 4" barrel, and am considering getting a larger fanny pack for it, as that's worked well with the smaller Taurus. As was addressed before, the straps, especially across the chest, make that a little less attractive an option for my use, but something to think about for shorter hikes. Thigh carry is something I'll also take a look at, but since the legs are also needed for the longer hikes, want to make sure I'm not doing something that's constricting, inviting leg cramps and such.

As for the liberals, I try to get along with them, so cc is first preference, as my conversations with them are best kept apolitical...just there in the woods because I enjoy it, and I'd much rather have a nice hike with them than to be putting up with their views on saving whales, polar bears, or guilty-as-hell mass murderers.

For those that have used chest packs like the Ribz front pack, how did the weight distribute? Do you need to look at doing some reinforcing inside the pocket, to allow for a smooth draw?

BOB carrry, ccw'd, is one of the reasons I favor a pocket 9 and a front pants pocket rig. I dont have to change anything. Same gun, same location. Doesn't matter if i'm wearing running shorts or a tuxedo. If it's cold enough or wet enoiugh to require a parka or raincoat, however, I do switch to the pocket of the coat, since the coat prevents access to the pants pocket.

I want a concealable rifle (taken down) You never know when you might need that option, just like you'll never know when NOT having it seen saved you a lot of trouble, or even saved you your life. Post shtf, a lot of people will be looking to eliminate threats/and or "move up" from having nothing more than a single shot 12 ga or .22 bolt action, or just a handgun.

This is not a shtf thread...I have never found out when it saved me from trouble either when I open carry my rifle while hiking...because it happens so rarely, I doubt I will ever have that encounter.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

all it takes is to travel by open boat, raft, bicycle, atv, or motorcycle, and you'll find out real quick about the advantages of not being seen with a gun. :) Ditto if you dont have an attached garage and especially if you live in a high rise apartment house. you are just asking for neighbors to say that you are "disturbing their piece", or have the word about your guns get passed to the burglars in your area. I have't owned a longarm that I couldn't take down and hide in a backpack in almost 35 years now. It's just not worth the potential hassle.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back