How do traffic tickets affect CCW Permit

JohnLM

This may seem like a strange questions for the vets but how do speeding tickets affect CCW holders? I received my first traffic ticket today. I didn't have my gun with me so that is no my issue. My main concern is how do traffic violations affect CCW. THANKS

Each state has different CC laws so you need to know your state's laws.
In Texas, a traffic ticket is no problem, it doesn't get hairy until an arrest for a class A misdemeanor or other specific violations.

If you just get a simple traffic ticket,It will not have any effect on your CCW Permit. The only way it would effect you, is if you start getting mistameanor charges such as driving on a suspended, or revoked license.

Driving under the influence, only arrestable charges will effect your permit.
Unless you start getting allot of tickets.Then you could be considered not to be of good moral character

Currently in NY a minor traffic ticket will not affect your CCP. Although there are rumors that the downstate anti-gun folk politicians would like to change this.

In NY a traffic ticket won't affect your CCW permit. In most counties the arrest affidavit portion of the permit application instructs you not to include minor traffic-related arrests.

Ticket should not affect your CCW or CWP. However as a CCW / CWP holder we should be more careful and not get that ticket in the first place.

When your are pulled over now comes do I tell the officer about my CCW or not. Does the officer want to search the car. Better to be on the safe side.

I agree with previous repliers and have no informaion on this subject but, IMO, something like 5 or 6 or so moving violation traffic tickets should be a factor. If you cannot obey simple traffic laws and continually display irresponsiblity for same, it is not, IMO, a reach to expect the same if you are given a CCWP. In advance--please fellow members, leave out the garbage personal comments on my opinion if you disagree, it is my opinion--your personal comments on my reply just demean you and prove my point.

In Washington State you get points against your driver's license for traffic tickets, but not against your Concealed Pistol License.

The traffic tickets are not the problem.

The problem is when you do not show to court or pay them.

The warrent is the issue. And you will not have one if you pay your tickets.

I do not know if the same thing applies now but in SC where SLED looks at applications and has some strict policies it was something like 5 tickets in the last 3 years would disqualify you or some other type formula. Whatever the rules are they are such that someone that lax about obeying the laws probably will not care about the laws when carrying a gun. One traffic ticket will have little effect in most states. In SC a DUI disqualified you for 5 years I think it was so it is more of a demonstration of your overal attitude toward the law than anything cut and dried.

Not sure about other states, but in CT any moving violations with the words reckless or endangerment in it will not only prohibit a new permit request, but you'll lose the one you already have.

I found a copy of the CWP application that in effect back when I first applied. There was an instruction sheet with it and one of the paragraphs on that sheet. I couldn't remenber the exact numbers but here they are. As I said things may have changed.

Reporting Criminal Record: You must answer “YES” if you have been arrested or charged with an offense for which you plead guilty, were found guilty, paid a fine, forfeited bond, were placed in jail or placed on probation. Failure to report such incidents will result in your application being denied. Full details concerning all offenses for which you have ever plead guilty, been found guilty, paid a fine, forfeited bond, were placed in jail or placed on probation, must be reported on a separate sheet, attached to this application. Traffic offenses are crimes and must be reported. A minor traffic violation record will not result in denial of your application. However, six (6) multiple traffic offenses within a five (5) year period will be considered a basis of denial. You are not required to report parking offenses. If you are unsure of your record, you should call the arresting agency and secure details of the arrest, to include a final disposition of charges to be included with this application form. False, inaccurate or incomplete information reported on this application form will result in denial of your application.

Currently in NY a minor traffic ticket will not affect your CCP. Although there are rumors that the downstate anti-gun folk politicians would like to change this.
At last check there was no pending discussions on this. I wrote two articles this year for USA Carry on pending NYS legislation - good and bad. If there has been some activity since then please let us know. Anything you can dig up would help. Thanks.

One of my friends has a concealed pistol license and had gotten a number of speeding tickets without repercussions (at least toward his CPL). I am not sure what the specific laws are in Washington, but he hasn’t had any issues yet. I am sure it probably varies by state, county, etc.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back