how do state police and county (for CHL) background checks different? or the same?

safe_sporting

that's how "are" state police and county background checks different?

Curious if anyone out there knows how background checks are done at the county level for CHL specifically. I have a general idea of how the state police do it for firearms purchases.

but for CHL when performed by the county, is it more thorough? less thorough? are they just checking for criminal record (convictions)? or do they plow through state and county records of everywhere you've lived and dig through dirty laundry that an applicant may have long forgotten about in civil proceedings, like messy divorces, restraining orders, that sort of thing.

I've heard that if you're denied and then try to challenge it...it can be a messy and expensive process.

Prerequisites: 1. Citizen of the United States; or
Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license.
2. 21 or older.
3. Not a convicted felon.
4. Not convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor.
5. No outstanding warrants for your arrest or free on any form of pretrial release.
6. Demonstrates competence with a handgun per ORS 166.291(f).

For a CHL the County Sheriff takes and sends your prints to the FBI to check your record nationally. The local office will check past states you lived in as an adult, but as long as you meet the six prerequisites above you are good to go. Oregon is a "Shall issue" State so the Sheriff does not get to deny you unless you have a documented history of confrontation with law enforcement. I hope that helps.

As Nick said, all background checks are performed through the FBI. There is no difference.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back