How are Glocks legally sold in retail stores in SC?

Blueridge

Here is what the SC code of laws says:

"SECTION 23-31-180. Certain pistols declared to be contraband; forfeiture, seizure, and destruction; disposal restrictions; use for display.

No licensed retail dealer may hold, store, handle, sell, offer for sale, or otherwise possess in his place of business a pistol or other handgun which has a die cast, metal alloy frame or receiver which melts at a temperature of less than eight hundred degrees Fahrenheit.

"A pistol or other handgun possessed or sold by a dealer in violation of this article is declared to be contraband and must be forfeited to or seized by the law enforcement agency in the municipality where forfeited or seized or to the law enforcement agency in the county where forfeited or seized if forfeited or seized outside a municipality. The weapon must be destroyed by the law enforcement agency which seized the weapon or the law enforcement agency to which the weapon is forfeited. A weapon must not be disposed of in any manner until the results of any legal proceeding in which it may be involved are finally determined.
However, a law enforcement agency may use the weapon for display purposes after the weapon has been rendered inoperable."

Now I don't know what temperature my charcoal grill can get to. But I believe that I could melt the frame of my Glock 30 while I'm cooking chicken.

And I don't know what temperature a Hobby Lobby blow torch gets to. But I believe I could cut the top strap off my S&W Scandium 642 after I finish soldering some earrings.

I realize that this law was passed to make Saturday Night Specials illegal. But the weapon of choice for hoods is no longer the RG .22. As it is now, this law could be the Doomsday weapon for the Brady bunch.

Other state have similar laws. It is my understanding that the polymer used for most polymer frame pistols melt at around 600 degrees Fahrenheit. With that said, they are made of polymer (which is a type of plastic) and not a "die cast, metal alloy". The sentence talks about the "frame or receiver" being made of the die cast metal alloy. Polymer isn't a metal alloy, hence making Polymer pistols legal.

Best Inetneions

That law was passed a while ago with the good intentions of our good ole boy legistlature which is a regressive prohibit the low income earners from defending themselves, IMO. But you know good intentions it is said that the road to Hellis paved with good intentions.

There are a few of us trying to remove that code.

It does not prohibit private sales of the cast metal firearms.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back