House considers bill for for all states to recognize your home state permit

Wow you guys really know how to confuse a situation. Its simple;

It forces all states to recognize permits from other states, it doesn't matter if they have a permit system or not.

It is constitutionally mandated that the Fed can enforce compliance with the Bill of Rights, state rights notwithstanding, end of story.

They've got it right this time, this is a good thing.

It forces all states to recognize permits from other states, it doesn't matter if they have a permit system or not.

It is constitutionally mandated that the Fed can enforce compliance with the Bill of Rights, state rights notwithstanding, end of story.

If the state, IL, does not have a permit system in place, it does not effect them. If this bill passes you can NOT carry in IL. Or DC...even tho DC is not a state and should not be separated as such.

How about a bill that tosses out all federal gun laws, along with all state, county and municipal gun laws, er, infringements? Or is the Second Amendment a hollow shell of an idea that nobody really understands or cares about? Needing to get a boot-lick permit in the first place is an infringement.

Radical? Can you imagine how radical those crazy forefathers of ours were when they wrote it into the Bill of Rights? Yeah, those same all-or-nothing types that faced death in creating our founding documents that gave us our unique freedoms. And now we are discussing to what level trashing our freedoms is acceptable. Permits, concealed carry or not, what ammo we can have, what caliber, permit reciprocity... One step at a time those bent on taking our liberty away are succeeding by having us keep our eyes off the prize, off the real fight that they may be winning, while most of us have no idea we may be losing.

Yeah. Here's the scary scenario. Right now we have 1 state in our nation that denies its citizens the right to carry. The powers that be in that state would like nothing better than to keep it that way.

I'm all in favor of being able to carry from my home state to any other carrying state.

But... if this law is voted in so that carrying is a federal matter, then the possibility of a federal BAN on carrying is also a possibility. Who knows what kind of congress we'll have 5 or 10 years from now. Frightening.

I'll always vote for the party that expands my freedoms, rather than contracts them. I just don't know that I am comfortable with all the power being situated in one lawmaking body.

If the state, IL, does not have a permit system in place, it does not effect them. If this bill passes you can NOT carry in IL. Or DC...even tho DC is not a state and should not be separated as such.

^ This is absolutely correct. Nor can you carry in your home state without a permit from that state. It's not rocket science folks.

Contrary to popular belief, this could turn out to be one HUGE nightmare. I'm always skeptical of laws that have the support of BOTH major political parties.

"But... if this law is voted in so that carrying is a federal matter, then the possibility of a federal BAN on carrying is also a possibility. Who knows what kind of congress we'll have 5 or 10 years from now. Frightening."

A whole bunch of people have tried to make that same point. It still has no logic or sense. It doesn't make carrying a federal matter. It doesn't change the possibility of the Fed's trying to make carrying a Federal matter one iota. It is one small step towards removing the unconstitutional body of gun laws.

mrjam2jab:231763 said:

Sorry, I should have said states that allow CC.

The only real benefit that I can see is that it will force some states, (California and Illinois specifically), to actually have legal concealed weapon holders active in their populations even though they have specifically refused to allow their own citizens to exercise their rights.
California is a "may issue" state, (which means that only those VERY politically connected with lots and lots of money will ever be considered for a permit). Illinois, on the other hand, is the only state out of 50 that does not allow for ANY type of concealed carry that I am aware of. The state of Illinois does not even bother with the blatantly false "lip service" to allowing this basic human right to self defense as they do in California, (which is in direct contradiction to the latest Supreme Court rulings on the subject).
If this bill passes, then these states, (and the District of Columbia I believe), would be in the rather ridiculous position where they do not allow their own citizens to carry, but out of state visitors can due to a superceding federal law that crosses state jurisdictional boundaries.
On the one hand, I like that notion as many California residents could apply for and receive a permit from a state such as Utah for example and then use that permit to allow thier concealed carry rights back in California, (in theory anyway, I am sure there would be some legal wrangling around this possibility that will be fought over in the courts).
On the other hand, however, I also have to agree in principle with others who have posted stating that they do not want ANY new law or federal control over this issue since getting the government involved, no matter how well intentioned, is a universal recipe for disaster and meddlesome ninnying.

The only real benefit that I can see is that it will force some states, (California and Illinois specifically), to actually have legal concealed weapon holders active in their populations even though they have specifically refused to allow their own citizens to exercise their rights.
California is a "may issue" state, (which means that only those VERY politically connected with lots and lots of money will ever be considered for a permit). Illinois, on the other hand, is the only state out of 50 that does not allow for ANY type of concealed carry that I am aware of. The state of Illinois does not even bother with the blatantly false "lip service" to allowing this basic human right to self defense as they do in California, (which is in direct contradiction to the latest Supreme Court rulings on the subject).
If this bill passes, then these states, (and the District of Columbia I believe), would be in the rather ridiculous position where they do not allow their own citizens to carry, but out of state visitors can due to a superceding federal law that crosses state jurisdictional boundaries.
On the one hand, I like that notion as many California residents could apply for and receive a permit from a state such as Utah for example and then use that permit to allow thier concealed carry rights back in California, (in theory anyway, I am sure there would be some legal wrangling around this possibility that will be fought over in the courts).
On the other hand, however, I also have to agree in principle with others who have posted stating that they do not want ANY new law or federal control over this issue since getting the government involved, no matter how well intentioned, is a universal recipe for disaster and meddlesome ninnying.

Bolded incorrect. Because they have no permit system in place this bill would NOT have any effect on them. You could NOT carry in IL or DC.

I tend to agree with the concerns that this is the "camel's nose under the tent", but look at it from the viewpoint of a state w/ restrictive carry laws (Illinois, NY, etc). This can only make things better for them, right? Fear is, it may water down rights in my state (NH) so everyone can meet in the middle.

I don't know - we want uniform 2nd Amendment protections, but how do we get them? Another Constitutional amendment? Another Supreme court case? If Rowe v Wade can make something legal practically overnight, why can't Heller or McDonald?

What are we missing?

"California is a "may issue" state, (which means that only those VERY politically connected with lots and lots of money will ever be considered for a permit)."

Actually it varies from county to county which makes it even crazier. Some counties are virtually "shall issue", some are as you say, and others fall between the two. Not only does Kalifornia not follow the 2nd Amendment but it doesn't follow the 14th either.

The NRA has said that they will not settle and will not continue to support the bill if any restrictions are placed on it that allow the Federal government to inactive things like a National Gun Registery. According to Rachel Parsons with the NRA ILA, this does not affect or change the rights of the states. It merely states that states that issue a permit must honor all permits issued by other states.

Here is my question: If this bill was a threat to our rights in any fashion why would the NRA be soliciting our help to contact legislators to support this bill?

The answer is they wouldn't.

OH MY GOODNESS..... How wrong could a person be? The NRA is one of the BIGGEST compromisers out there, and one of the MAIN reasons we have so many UnConstitutional gun laws to begin with.... ANY kind of "Gun Rights" organization that doesnt fight tooth and nail against ANY Legislation that makes ANY law about that which "Shall NOT be Infringed" is a f*king joke..... Period...

Now, to the discussion at hand.... Same thing, ANY law that has anything at all to do with firearms is UnConstitutional on its face, period, end of story... Deal with it...

If you consider yourself a 2nd Amendment advocate, WHY would you think this bill is anything other than ANOTHER law about that which CANNOT LEGALLY have a law about it in the first place? I am ashamed at some of you (not that you care). CON-gress has no authority at all in this matter, it goes against at least 2 of the amendments, if not more, and some of you want it to pass?????? WTF???? Wake up and STOP helping them (govt) take away our Rights.... my goodness, why do I even have to write this to you? I thought this was a "gun forum", not an compromisers forum....

NOT ONE MORE F"ING INCH.........

"place? I am ashamed at some of you (not that you care). CON-gress has no authority at all in this matter, it goes against at least 2 of the amendments, if not more, and some of you want it to pass?????? WTF???? Wake up and STOP helping them (govt) take away our Rights.... my goodness, why do I even have to write this to you? I thought this was a "gun forum", not an compromisers forum...."

Nice talk but divorced from reality. We didn't lose the 2nd Amendment all at once. We lost it little piece by little piece. We're not going to get it back all at once. We're going to have to take it back little piece by little piece, baby steps. This bill is a baby step in the right direction. We have to be realistic or we get nothing.

"place? I am ashamed at some of you (not that you care). CON-gress has no authority at all in this matter, it goes against at least 2 of the amendments, if not more, and some of you want it to pass?????? WTF???? Wake up and STOP helping them (govt) take away our Rights.... my goodness, why do I even have to write this to you? I thought this was a "gun forum", not an compromisers forum...."

Nice talk but divorced from reality. We didn't lose the 2nd Amendment all at once. We lost it little piece by little piece. We're not going to get it back all at once. We're going to have to take it back little piece by little piece, baby steps. This bill is a baby step in the right direction. We have to be realistic or we get nothing.

So, according to you....... infringing upon MORE RIGHTS is how we get our rights back???? Sorry, but you really need some professional help to bring you back to reality... Does your mother know you are on the computer again?

So, according to you....... infringing upon MORE RIGHTS is how we get our rights back???? Sorry, but you really need some professional help to bring you back to reality... Does your mother know you are on the computer again?

Exactly how would you realistically propose that we recover our Second Amendment Rights? And don't give the old saw that they are our rights and we should have them. Propose your plan on how to recover our rights in your world of reality.

Argument is mute as you cannot carry in a federal gun free zone unless you license is from the state that zone is in. Now concealed carry in all states that allow it and dropping GFZ for CC or open carry states works for me. Constitutional 2nd Amendment.

Infringing what "MORE RIGHTS"? Do you conduct all your discussions trying to make personal insults?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back