Hospital carry

Marfa Kid

A recent discussion with a CCW holder brought up the issue of carry when visiting someone in a hospital. The statement was made that it is a federal offense to carry into any hospital in the state of NC. Any input on this?

Someone correct me if wrong but I don't think it could be a federal offense in NC if it is not a federal offense everywhere. Here in Texas it a violation of the state law to carry but the caveat to that is the Hospitals have to post the correct sign at all entrances before it is enforceable. Same goes for churches.

It is legal in MA. I have a friend who is a physician and carries while on duty at the hospital. We were talking not too long ago about another doctor who screwed up and left his carry gun on the sink in the bathroom. It was in the local paper. Imagine the surprise when the next patron to use the bathroom stumbled upon the gun on the sink counter? I'm told the doctor's LTC was revoked.

I've carried into hospitals here in NV; I've carried in AZ too. They are not on any list of proscribed places I've seen and I've never seen a 'no firearms' sign at any hospital I've been to. I don't believe the Federal government has any such prohibition in place.

Someone correct me if wrong but I don't think it could be a federal offense in NC if it is not a federal offense everywhere.

Good point, HK!:sarcastic:

There is neither a NC state law prohibiting CC in hospitals.

A local hospital may have prohibitions, and if posted, in the state of NC, it would then be illegal.

I never once saw a posting of a No Weapons sign/s at any of the hospitals here in NH and MA. that I have gone into. I have carried Concealed in these hospital's before.

SC state law says NO! Can not carry into hospital & doctors offices.

The only exception to that is that the employees can carry if they have the permission of whoever owns the office. My CWP instructor said it was designed to protect those health professionals that work late nights and carry for safety reasons.

The one I've heard about in NC is at Duke because it is a part of the University system?

It is against the law to carry (CC or OC) in a STATE OWNED OR CONTROLLED HOSPITAL. But for your regular old emergency room/community hospital style hospital, it is privately owned. Unless they have signs posted it is legal.

It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.

Good point, HK!:sarcastic:

There is neither a NC state law prohibiting CC in hospitals.

A local hospital may have prohibitions, and if posted, in the state of NC, it would then be illegal.
It would be illegal IF the state law provided that such a sign had legal standing.

If the state law on concealed weapons did not provide for the posting, at most a sign would be the same as a "no shirt, no shoes" and they could ask you to leave. If you don't leace you're trespassing and that is a misdemeanor, not a firearms violation. Your state may vary.

Someone correct me if wrong but I don't think it could be a federal offense in NC if it is not a federal offense everywhere. Here in Texas it a violation of the state law to carry but the caveat to that is the Hospitals have to post the correct sign at all entrances before it is enforceable. Same goes for churches.

My daughter recently had a baby and the hospital had signes posted on ever door much to the supprise of my son-in-law who had to make a trip back to his truck.

Bottom line: It is as important to know the law in the state you are CC as it is to know how to use your firearm and be CC. Go to your state's wewbsite for handgun laws or use this forum or others to find synopses of the law. If you have questions like the one you posed, ask it on this forum--guarantee you will get an informed answer--more than likely more than one. We are all in the same boat and some on this forum are much more expert than others--it is a great resource--use it wisely and you will be better for it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back