Horizontal Or Vertical Mag Carrier?

BillG174

I am trying to decide whether to buy a horizontal or vertical mag holder for my EDC Glock G17 Gen 4.

I have looked at the Magholder.com site a few times which sells a horizontal mag holder. I think a horizontal mag holder would lay right into my belt line and I think it would be more comfortable than a vertical mag holder sticking up next to my side.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions which it better - horizontal or vertical and why?

For comfort you are correct, a line going with the belt would be less infringing. However, When looking at gear I generally start with tried and true Military applications and if I question it from there I can generally find the reason behind a design.
Not that some military equipment isn't crapola but some is really good.
Military belt or web belt mag pouches are vertical.

Military belt or web belt mag pouches are vertical.

Actually, there is a variety in the military. If you are talking about the old web gear, the pouches generally had those little black slidy-thing clips that you could reposition, and the belt loop looking thing on the back of the pouch allowed vertical or horizontal placement.

Actually, there is a variety in the military. If you are talking about the old web gear, the pouches generally had those little black slidy-thing clips that you could reposition, and the belt loop looking thing on the back of the pouch allowed vertical or horizontal placement.

Point taken, However, I never personally witnessed a mag pouch being carried any other way than vertical. Just my personal observation and only based on 4 years of service... a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Have you considered IWB carry? I use a Foxx mag holster for 2 magazines. I can open carry or conceal whenever I choose. It is comfortable, keeps the magazines easily available and unrestrained with light pressure fit to hold. Formerly I used a case attached to my belt OWB and was concerned when trying to be discreet. Now I can use that case to carry a mini flashlight and leather man style tool in front of the mag holster to further disguise my carry.
If you are still considering horizontal vs. vertical OWB, horizontal would require a secure retaining strap. Horizontal may prove to be more comfortable if carrying a single magazine.

Best luck choosing.

This is probably a matter of individual comfort. Regardless of the position, it is important that the placement of the mag. in the holder is with care. As you will probably need the extra mag. in a hurry, you should make sure you place the mag. in the holder so when you go for it, it comes out in a natural motion so as to go into your receiver directly. Meaning so you don't have fumble with it to get it into proper position to insert. This is something that comes with a little practice to make sure the transition goes like this: hit mag release , while reaching for extra mag., smooth direct motion to correctly insert mag. into gun in one smooth motion. Chamber round. Ready to fire. Should not take more than 3 seconds.

I am trying to decide whether to buy a horizontal or vertical mag holder for my EDC Glock G17 Gen 4.

I have looked at the Magholder.com site a few times which sells a horizontal mag holder. I think a horizontal mag holder would lay right into my belt line and I think it would be more comfortable than a vertical mag holder sticking up next to my side.

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions which it better - horizontal or vertical and why?

Generally, LE choose horizontal carry for two reasons. One, for the reason you gave, comfort. Two, from what I've seen on the range compared to those who are adamant about carrying vertically, comparatively, the LEO's with horizontal carry do a mag change more smoothly. Smooth is quick.

Personally, whether it's in a duty belt or plain clothes, I prefer the horizontal carry for the two reasons above.

I just bought this: Universal/Adjustable Magazine Holster by The Well Armed Woman

Most magazine holders are too bulky for me... have very little space to put one with my Alien Gear holster. So when I saw this one, I jumped. You can adjust it to wear horizontal or vertical, so try both! I think I'm going to go for something in between... completely horizontal and I can't hide it, but I'd like it canted a bit for easier access. After I adjust the retention, of course... Right now the retention is stronger than the clip holding it to my belt!

Right now the retention is stronger than the clip holding it to my belt!

Doesn't that make it a little hard to reload if you need to?

That said I second the idea of adjustable carriers I use these at home and at work

Link Removed

Doesn't that make it a little hard to reload if you need to?

That said I second the idea of adjustable carriers I use these at home and at work

Link Removed

LOL Yes just a bit! The whole thing came out with the magazine when I was practicing. Though if it happened in a self-defense situation and I was standing there staring at my magazine with the holder sitting on top of it, the bad guy might laugh himself to death.

But there's a screw to loosen, so retention is adjustable as well as direction. Not a bad thing... might want it tighter if you're carrying horizontally than if you were using it vertically.

LOL Yes just a bit! The whole thing came out with the magazine when I was practicing. Though if it happened in a self-defense situation and I was standing there staring at my magazine with the holder sitting on top of it, the bad guy might laugh himself to death.

But there's a screw to loosen, so retention is adjustable as well as direction. Not a bad thing... might want it tighter if you're carrying horizontally than if you were using it vertically.

I've used magazine carriers similar to what you linked to in the past and I've found that they tend to stretch out over time so you have to keep tightening up the retention screw.

If you want something that is convertible, comfortable, and will either hold one double-stack or 2 single stack check out the Remora mag pouch.
Link Removed
I have a 9mm and .380 mag side by side in one, and stitched the bottom at different levels so they don't sink down too far.
Link Removed

If you want something that is convertible, comfortable, and will either hold one double-stack or 2 single stack check out the Remora mag pouch.
Link Removed
I have a 9mm and .380 mag side by side in one, and stitched the bottom at different levels so they don't sink down too far.
Link Removed

I can't think of a better way to grab the wrong magazine under pressure

I can't think of a better way to grab the wrong magazine under pressure

That's why the 9mm is higher, the .380 is for the BUG. There's also a thing called practice, and a thing called habit (wearing it the same way all the time).

I use the horizontal Magholder for my XDs .45 and love it! I carry it front left and actually notched the belt clip so it goes over the belt loop of my jeans. I carry the 5 round mag in the gun and the extended 7 round in the Magholder. Works very well for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back